Requests that make you go "uh...."

Blackbird 13

• Members

To me the weirdest requests are for female singer type songs when the requester can easily see that there are no females in the band. Like "Do you guys do any Janis Joplin?"

They are probably waiting for you to ask them, or someone they know, to sing it. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The unwavering belief that because his drunken mind wants it to be... it will be... you just gotta keep pushin'.

"Come on man! I know you know it!!!! You know it! You know... it goes whaaaahhhhhhgggghhhhyeahhhh!!!! Come on man, don't be a dick. You guys are assholes. Come on man!"

Hey dickwad, let me introduce you to my buddy the bouncer...

• Members

The ability to play music is a magical mystery to many people. Many people couldn't play Chopsticks any more than they could play Flight of the Bumblebee. So, inversely, they can't understand why, if you can play ANYthing that you can't play EVERYthing.

And the better your band sounds at ANYthing furthers the belief that "these guys can play EVERYthing".

• Moderators

The ability to play music is a magical mystery to many people. Many people couldn't play Chopsticks any more than they could play Flight of the Bumblebee. So, inversely, they can't understand why, if you can play ANYthing that you can't play EVERYthing.

And the better your band sounds at ANYthing furthers the belief that "these guys can play EVERYthing".

For sure. I usually don't begrudge it one bit. It's understandable. I had an older guy walk up to me and he says, "Red House!!! Jimi, Billy Cox, Buddy Miles, Mike Bloomfield... live... Cow Palace. Can you do it?!"

That's pretty particular, I kid back.

"It's the best one. Can ya do it!?"

Well, sure... well, ya know, I don't think I know the lyrics...

"I'll buy ya a beer!"

Sorry, man.

"Cool, maybe next time."

I don't mind that. It's the belligerent pricks that I won't tolerate.

• Members

some guy said something like this last night while his Girl was trying to think of a song she wanted to hear us play. yeah he was convinced we could do anything and she was convinced it was a night of "stump the cover band." :lol:

She settled on Breakfast at Tiffany's. the trio knew it- We dropped it about 6 months ago cuz of the weak crowd response and the fact that none of us really loved the song. So now we have two new fans.

• Members
some guy said something like this last night while his Girl was trying to think of a song she wanted to hear us play. yeah he was convinced we could do anything and she was convinced it was a night of "stump the cover band."
:lol:

She settled on Breakfast at Tiffany's. the trio knew it- We dropped it about 6 months ago cuz of the weak crowd response and the fact that none of us really loved the song. So now we have two new fans.

I really couldn't dislike that song any more than I do!! :)

• Members

Told this one round here years ago. And again.....

Playin a gig with a country artist in the late 90's at a good size room and a few people on the dance floor start hollerin for Free Bird during moment between songs when our frontman/singer was messin with some equipment that was freaking out on him. So I step up to the mic to kill a second or two and quote Ronnie Van Zant "What song is it you wanna hear?' and they yell "FREE BIRD" and when we didn't start it we got a few "S'matter...you cain't play it? Ha Ha.". And a couple of humorists yell "Stairway!"

So I get in the mic and say "Oh I get it....play stairway to freebird ya dumb bastards, is that it?" And it got some laughs. Singer is fixed and on with the show.

A set or two later some girl comes up to me and says "Hey...why'd you cawl mah husband a dumb bastard?"

"What? I haven't called anyone that. Who's your husband?"

She points and he's sitting across the room all pissed looking, and I tell her I have never seen him before that you must have me confused. So she takes me over to him and points and says "Why'd you cawl heeum thayut."

So I'm not even THINKING about what I said on the mic and are searching the brain files as to when I've even seen this dude before. And I'm telling him that I don't know him. Finally he says:

"I know you don't know me, but you got up on the mic and called me a dumb bastard for requesting free bird! IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY!!!"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

So I explain to their drunk asses and they don't understand and they're still pissed but I have to go and play another set. At the end of the night as we were tearing down they walk by and say "Hey, we're gonna go see Skynyrd tomorrow night, why doncha come up there and see em' and maybe they'll learn ya to play free bird HAHAHAHAHA Ya want a free bird? Well here's one..." and he flips me the bird and they walk off.

And teardown was everybody calling everybody a dumb bastard for an hour...."Hand me the cable reel ya dumb bastard....where's the hand truck ya dumb bastard...."

Ahhhh....the satisfying delights of the inebriated....:lol:

• Members

We had just finished playing Johnny B Goode and had someone come up and request a song that, and i quote here," everyone knows, like something from Toad the Wet Sprocket"

I dont think at gunpoint i could even name a single Toad the Wet Sprocket song but apparently it is much more well known than that Johnny B Goode song........

• Members

Played a room with a reputation as having the more "senior" crowd. I don't remember the order, but we played some combination of "Cupid Shuffle", "Play That Funky Music", "Save a Horse", "Billie Jean", "This Is How We Do It", "Brown Eyed Girl", and finished up with "Let's Get It On" when one of the more elderly bar patrons comes over and asks me, in all seriousness, if we know "any dance music". Again.. relatively speechless before saying "Other than stuff like we've just done, I don't think so..."

We once had basically the same thing happen.

Just as we were finishing up Purple Rain and all the slow-dancing couples started to move back toward their tables, an older lady approached the stage and asked if we could play "something for the people who want to slow dance".

:facepalm:

• Members
We had just finished playing Johnny B Goode and had someone come up and request a song that, and i quote here," everyone knows, like something from Toad the Wet Sprocket"

I dont think at gunpoint i could even name a single Toad the Wet Sprocket song but apparently it is much more well known than that Johnny B Goode song........

well Toad is pretty popular! You can't think of a single Toad song?

• Members

Played an outdoor biker thing and a gal came out of the bar and requested, in her loudest voice, the song we just got done playing.

Everybody heard it as we were in-between songs when she did it and the whole crowd was laughing at her. She couldn't figure out why.

• Members

To me the weirdest requests are for female singer type songs when the requester can easily see that there are no females in the band. Like "Do you guys do any Janis Joplin?"

I don't get it. There are Janis Joplin songs that could reasonably be sung by a man.

• Members

well Toad is pretty popular! You can't think of a single Toad song?

More well known than Johnny B Goode though? You literally have to never listened to rock radio or watched Back to the Future to have missed that song.

As for Toad songs, ive heard the song guido61 posted in much the same way as Thy God posted but i couldnt tell you who played it or even the name of the song.

I was just suprised she had never even heard of Johnny B Goode but to be fair we once played with another band that actually thought we wrote the song.

Archived