It's settled: Do what you want. It's all good.

• Members

Well, I'm not sure what the point of this post is, or what spurred it...

But keep in mind that there are a whole bunch of people reading these threads, and probably a whole bunch of lurkers that we never hear from, who appreciate any well-reasoned advice from the knowledgeable and/or experienced posters, even if other posters denigrate or disagree or ignore that advice.

If, for example, six people say "if nothing else, record to a click track" and the OP says "Thanks, but we didn't record to a click track", that doesn't make the thread or advice useless. It just means the OP chose to ignore it.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm not sure what the point of this post is, or what spurred it...

But keep in mind that there are a whole bunch of people reading these threads, and probably a whole bunch of lurkers that we never hear from, who appreciate any well-reasoned advice from the knowledgeable and/or experienced posters.

If, for example, six people say "if nothing else, record to a click track" and the OP says "Thanks, but we didn't record to a click track", that doesn't make the thread or advice useless. It just means the OP chose to ignore it.

It spurred from another "music stands on stage" thread, as do most of the problems of the world. :lol:

• Members

The issue seems to be when someone says what they do... and people decide they're doing it wrong based on their own personal issues and continue to attack. That's not advice. That's judgement and condemnation about something objective in the first place. What they're doing may actually be working for them. It may not have worked for you. Being in a band isn't like changing the oil. The same way doesn't work for everyone. If it did, they're would be instruction books that you follow and after you check off the boxes you're now famous and doing world tours for millions. Come to think of it... there's millions to be made selling said books to morons who believe it IS like changing the oil.

The point of this forum as I understood it was to get advice from what has worked and not worked for others and learn from it. Not get attacked because of your own opinions.

But hey, that would be productive and less entertaining... So carry on with the rant...

• Members

Apparently the prevailing attitude here is that anything anybody wants to do on stage is good and if that's the way they are doing it, then that's the way it should be done.

No need to offer suggestions for improvement or a counter-opinion. It's all good.

No need to discuss anything, really, because it's ALL good. Any Way You Want It, That's The Way You Need It. Use of tracks? How you dress? How you present yourself? What business model you use? What PA you use? It's all good. Anything goes. No right or wrong. Nothing to discuss.

The only important thing is that people have a great tone. Which, of course, can be discussed over at the guitar forum.

We can close down the forum now. It no longer serves a purpose.

I don't like your tone.

• Members

Apparently the prevailing attitude here is that anything anybody wants to do on stage is good and if that's the way they are doing it, then that's the way it should be done.

No need to offer suggestions for improvement or a counter-opinion. It's all good.

No need to discuss anything, really, because it's ALL good. Any Way You Want It, That's The Way You Need It. Use of tracks? How you dress? How you present yourself? What business model you use? What PA you use? It's all good. Anything goes. No right or wrong. Nothing to discuss.

The only important thing is that people have a great tone. Which, of course, can be discussed over at the guitar forum.

We can close down the forum now. It no longer serves a purpose.

Now if every band followed this advice to a 'T' I would never have to worry about any competition for club dates! :thu:

• Members

May as well shut it down because Guido always manages to shout down everyone else's opinion anyway.
:thu:

I disagree, strongly. David, aka Guido, presents himself and his arguments in a reasoned way, and I for one really appreciate his philosophy as well as the way he communicates it.

• Members

I disagree, strongly. David, aka Guido, presents himself and his arguments in a reasoned way, and I for one really appreciate his philosophy as well as the way he communicates it.

Yeah, upon reflection, my statement there was probably a little strong. Apologies to David. {censored}ing music stand thread got me riled-up. :lol:

• Members

Agreed that Guido also shares information extensively, not sure how the opinion came about that he "manages to shout down everyone else's opinion anyway. He may be a man of many words, but that's his style! (and a keyboardist)

• Members

Agreed that Guido also shares information
extensively
, not sure how the opinion came about that he "manages to shout down everyone else's opinion anyway. He may be a man of many words, but that's his style! (and a keyboardist)

My thought process was this: the guy is frigging RELENTLESS at explaining himself. Even if I was 100% certain I was correct on a particular subject, I'd have no desire to argue with him because I know damn well he will still be here typing paragraph upon paragraph while I'm blissfully asnooze! :lol: So, even when he's wrong, you can't win because he'll beat you with verbosity. Who's got that kinda time? ;)

• Members

My thought process was this: the guy is frigging RELENTLESS at explaining himself. Even if I was 100% certain I was correct on a particular subject, I'd have no desire to argue with him because I know damn well he will still be here typing paragraph upon paragraph while I'm blissfully asnooze!
:lol:
So, even when he's wrong, you can't win because he'll beat you with verbosity. Who's got that kinda time?
;)

Who's keeping score? It's all subjective.

• Members
The biggest question I have going for me, actually, is how old-time traditional I want to go when it comes to amplification. Back in the old days, all the musicians huddled around a single mic. I kinda like that old sound, but does such a thing fly in today's modern world of music?

still gets used some in old-school bluegrass, gospel, etc.

• Members

hmmm...and hmmm....

Well, I'd have to say everybody is right here. Maybe even moreso my critics. Can I be an insufferable prick sometimes? Certainly. Am I too verbose? Undoubtedly. Will I argue a point into the ground and them some? Guilty as charged.

But the one guy who WAS wrong here is the one who mistook my motivations for starting this thread to be so I could complain about people not agreeing with me. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. Of course, when I think I'm right--I think I'm right--and go out of my way to try and make my position clear. But I don't expect agreement. This place would be REALLY boring if everyone agreed on everything.

My point in starting the thread is my frustration with the "it doesn't matter/don't give a {censored}" position. I'm fine with arguing about whether things should be done one way or the other. But to argue it doesn't MATTER? THAT drives me up the wall. Why is anyone even here if you think things don't matter? Just to bitch that greedy clubowners and stupid fans don't appreciate your awesomeness?

The whole point of this forum--or a big one anyway-- is (or at least should be) IMO, to better yourself and your band. That's why I come here. And I have no doubt my band is many times better because of the discussions, debates and advice given here then it would be otherwise.

We should all be trying to better ourselves in all aspects of life. I wake up every day trying to be better than I was the day before. My music included. As live performing musicians we should be striving everyday to play better, sound better, look better, perform better, play better songs, get better gigs, interact with clients and audiences better. But if you believe you've reached the pinnacle of your success...great! Spread the wisdom! Or if you know you haven't, but are fine with where you're at but simply don't care...that's fine too. But don't drag everyone else down with your "doesn't matter/don't care" attitude. Because for many of us who do care it DOES matter. ALL of it.

This thread was borne out of my frustration with yet another 'music stands' thread because, while music stands themselves are just a symbol, their advocacy is a symbol for NOT CARING. Not so many years ago, there wouldn't even be ONE thread about the use of music stands in a forum such as this, let alone dozens. The thought of using them in a live rock band setting was simply unheard of (unless almost absolutely necessary, like if you were freakin' Frank Zappa or someone). It was never debated. I never once in years and years of playing asked someone to not use a music stand because nobody who wanted to play in a rock band would even think of it.

But yet....here in 2012...it's a MAJOR issue??? :facepalm:

So agree with me or disagree with me on issues. I don't care. Actually, it's more fun if you don't. Like or dislike me, or my posting style, or my band. That doesn't concern me either. But don't misconstrue my motives. Which are all based in my care for the need for musicians and bands to be as good as they can be and to strive to be better. If I come off as a jerk sometimes because I'm prodding someone to CARE? I'll take those hits. Gladly.

Care about what you do on stage. Be passionate. Be good. Get better.

Archived