What key is the song "Low Rider" in?

• Members

One of the bands I play with just recently started playing Low rider by war. I believe that the song was in the key of F since that is the first note of the bass line. Guitar player says G since the horn part starts on G. Needless to say the first time we played this it was a trainwreck because he said key of G so I started it on G instead of F. The notes to the bass line are F G Bflat C D F D F D F G.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the bands I play with just recently started playing Low rider by war. I believe that the song was in the key of F since that is the first note of the bass line. Guitar player says G since the horn part starts on G. Needless to say the first time we played this it was a trainwreck because he said key of G so I started it on G instead of F. The notes to the bass line are F G Bflat C D F D F D F G.

G would have an F# in it, no? Maybe he meant G minor?

What chords are major/minor in the progression? That could be a good clue.

• Members

I consider it to be in G ... the primary chordal rhythm is based around the typical "G" rock pattern (and it's pretty much the only chord in the song) - and the horn riff is based around a "G" chord as well (using the dominant 7th (the "F") as the accent note). With that much pointing to it being in "G" - I would tend to think of it as being in "G" and consider the first note of "F" as simply being a pickup note.

• Members

Found this sheet music on line.
I guess I was wrong.

I was informed here that published sheet music is often wrong about the "actual" key. I showed sheet music showing "Another Brick In The Wall" to be in the key of Dm only to be informed it's really in the key of C.

• Members

I was informed here that published sheet music is often wrong about the "actual" key. I showed sheet music showing "Another Brick In The Wall" to be in the key of Dm only to be informed it's really in the key of C.

Do what you want. It's all good. :o

• Members

this post reeks of butthurt.

Did I miss some drama recently?

• Members

this post reeks of butthurt.

Did I miss some drama recently?

Someone over-applied beginner's music theory, and guido over-reacted to it. A lot of "over-ing" as is typical here.

I'd say "Low Rider" is in the lowest key your singer can hit that vocal in, but with the notes given, it'd probably be called "G minor", though that riff was born outside the world of Western European music that we base our key designations on.

• Members

Someone over-applied beginner's music theory, and guido over-reacted to it. A lot of "over-ing" as is typical here.

I'd say "Low Rider" is in the
lowest key your singer
can hit that vocal in, but with the notes given, it'd probably be called "G minor", though that riff was born outside the world of Western European music that we base our key designations on.

WE actually moved it up to A since he was having trouble.

• Members

it's in G.

The reason the first note is an F is because the main riff just runs right on up the ol' Pentatonic box on a fretted instrument.

^^^ This ^^^

The song is in the key of "G" but the guitar and bass are using "G Pentatonic minor" for the bass line and single note stuff.

• Members

We always have done it in Dm.

• Members

We always have done it in Dm.

No, you just think you have. Technically you've been playing it in C major. Or so I was told. And is a theory which I understand and is probably technically correct, although I believe it's equally technically correct to say that there are no hard and fast rules to key signatures and there's another, equally valid theory that says the key is pretty much whatever the songwriter/transcriber says it is.

But from a practical standpoint, anyone who actually PLAYS the song would call the key to be "Dm". Because anything else would be largely counterproductive to the goals of the musicians performing the song.

Except us, as we actually play it in "Em" (or "D major", as the case may be), but that's another story altogether.

• Members

No, you just think you have. Technically you've been playing it in C major. Or so I was told. And is a theory which I understand and is probably technically correct, although I believe it's equally technically correct to say that there are no hard and fast rules to key signatures and there's another, equally valid theory that says the key is pretty much whatever the songwriter/transcriber says it is.

But from a practical standpoint, anyone who actually PLAYS the song would call the key to be "Dm". Because anything else would be largely counterproductive to the goals of the musicians performing the song.

Except us, as we actually play it in "Em" (or "D major", as the case may be), but that's another story altogether.

Why would anyone say it was in "C"? Is it because there's a C, F, and G in the song? Was that arguement that it was D Dorian (the 2nd mode of C)?

• Members

Why would anyone say it was in "C"? Is it because there's a C, F, and G in the song? Was that arguement that it was D Dorian (the 2nd mode of C)?

Yes that was the argument. The theory (as I understood it--others here who understand theory better could explain it better) is that you notate a song in which key has the fewest accidentals. Since you'd have to have a B-natural every time you played the G chord if the song were in Dm, then Dm wouldn't be the correct key. It would be "C" because that way you could get through the whole piece with no accidentals.

Interesting? Yes. Useful in a practical/gigging sense? Not so much. At least not for me.

• Members

I agree. I've never heard anyone say ABITW was in C but I suspected that was why if they did. The song clearly wants to resovle to Dm.

At the time of this discussion I looked up sheet music online and, interestingly, while all the 'full score' sheet music was notated in key of Dm, much of the single note/instrument sheet music was notated in key of C (with the first note of the song still being "D")

• Members

I think key signature does not equal key.

Yeah, I've hashed that out in the past. I did up a set list for the band...I always put the keys of the song next to the title. Habit more than anything else. I put 'Hey Jealousy' by the Gin Blossoms as in the key of A. The bass player busted my balls and said it should be in D. I said, yeah...it STARTS on a Dsus2, but it's not in D. The chords are Dsus2, E, F#m, A...clearly, it's in A to me.

He never agreed with me. I kept putting in the key of A on the list. I said if he wanted it in D, he could go to the trouble of putting the lists together. :p

Archived