What's your opening song(s) and why?

Vito Corleone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
That is a GREAT song... what's the drummer's problem with it? Pretty straight ahead if I recall. Brian Tichy laid some great beats in that band.
Yes it is a great tune but drummer messes up on the solo section and always wants to play through the accented parts which is just HHs only.
but what can you do when you live in a small town with no drummers to pool from so gotta work with what you can get.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string View Post
I might try putting that song by The Killers' in front. We do that one too, but it always seems to go nowhere fast. Maybe if we started the night with it, the response will be different. "Nothing But A Good Time" would be a great opener. My impression of a band that would start with that song is that of a decent rock band and that I'll be hearing a good night of solid rock tunes. Unfortunately, I don't think our band would get hired in a lot of the places we play if we just played rock all night long. Most of the bar owners I called lost interest when I told them we're a rock band until I mentioned that we do some country as well. It's just the way it is in our little bar circuit. Maybe if we played different places, we could flex our wings and be more rock (which is essentially what the three of us are, rock/hard rock/metal guys).

Most of the time, we've been starting with "Memphis" (Johnny Rivers style). It's kind of deceptive, because people then think we're a mellower band, but we'll gradually amp things up throughout the night, closing with Judas Priest and Poison. I like to start with it because it's easy on my vocals which I need to warm up with for a few songs. I might start with "Tired Of Waiting For You" from now on (which we just learned), since that song is perfect for my vocal range.
I think the way you have it is better, nothing but a good time should be later when people drunk and out dancing, not in the beginning, my opinion only. Don't get me wrong judas priest is cool but who likes it? Sausage. Who hates it? Chicks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nchangin View Post
I think the way you have it is better, nothing but a good time should be later when people drunk and out dancing, not in the beginning, my opinion only. Don't get me wrong judas priest is cool but who likes it? Sausage. Who hates it? Chicks.

So much for chicks hating Judas Preist
Remember there's market for all genres just some are more popular then others.

• Members

Timkeys...... You and I really need to play some music together. My band has actually talked of doing that song. We recently started doing the Waylon song "Outlaw Bit" and it has been doing well with the crowds we play for.

• Members

*grin* just going from experience playing both of those tunes live smile.gif I guess it would be beneficial to know which priest tune it is? Let me guess Another thing comin? Great tune, one way to sneak that tune in is start out doing mony mony and then roll it up to the speed of another thing comin' and go. Living after midnight a blast too smile.gif

• Members

We do a lot of restaurant type gigs where there is a transition between the dinner crowd and the late night dance crowd, so we typically ease into things. Sunday Morning by Maroon 5, I'll Be Your Shelter by Taylor Dayne, It's My Life by No Doubt, What a Fool Believes by the Doobies are ones I'll lead off the show with depending on the venue. Normally the 1st 3-5 songs of the 1st set are lighter stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dan88z

View Post

We do a lot of restaurant type gigs where there is a transition between the dinner crowd and the late night dance crowd, so we typically ease into things. Sunday Morning by Maroon 5, I'll Be Your Shelter by Taylor Dayne, It's My Life by No Doubt, What a Fool Believes by the Doobies are ones I'll lead off the show with depending on the venue. Normally the 1st 3-5 songs of the 1st set are lighter stuff.

We're anticipating more of that same kind of format in the future. Our principle vocalist does a lot of high energy soul/funk, but he's also into a lot of old school swing stuff - Sammy Davis Jr, Lou Rawls, Nat King Cole, Louis Prima, Sinatra - which will fill a lot of the first set.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 55fmj View Post
Timkeys...... You and I really need to play some music together. My band has actually talked of doing that song. We recently started doing the Waylon song "Outlaw Bit" and it has been doing well with the crowds we play for.
We are a texas band and do a ton of texas songwriter stuff. We crank it up tight and drive it hard as a band. its kind of our nitch down here. Thow is some classic rock and you got a pretty good party. this is another song we do as an opener.

• Members

For the classic rock band: Innocence by Harlequin because they were Canadian and we play it really well smile.gif

For the 80's hair metal band: Lights Out by UFO. I know they weren't/aren't a "hair metal" band and the song is from the 70's but it just "feels" good to open with and it gets people into the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lately it's been "Amie" by Pure Prairie League--ear-catching harmonies, a few good instrumental bits, and no one really knows the verse, so it kind of eases them into the fact that a band is playing, piques their interest, and then when the chorus hits, they get the flash of recognition and sing along. Bear in mind, we've been playing a lot of the transition-from-dinner-into-drinking time slot lately.

• Members

The last band I was in opened with Jean Genie or Drive My Car.

The first good band that I was in opened with No Matter What by Badfinger. I never liked opening with it because the vocals require a good warm up. We usually played it well but botched the singing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Real MC

View Post

Many moons ago our band used to open with "Bye Bye Love" from The Cars debut album. That really turned some heads. Have yet to hear another band cover it.

Way back in the day - late '79, early '80, the band I was in played Bye Bye Love. However, I don't think we ever opened with it. We played over half of the Cars first album and a bit of Candy-O when that came out.

• Members

"Open Up Your Eyes" by Tonic. I think we gravitated to it as an opener mainly because it's kinda easy, and we do it well every time. Doesn't hurt that it's got a chewy wah guitar solo that wakes me up every time. We're primarily a '90s band and we do a few drop-D songs grouped together. Hash Pipe and/or Everlong would come next. So the Tonic tune is a good low-stress opener.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Many moons ago our band used to open with "Bye Bye Love" from The Cars debut album. That really turned some heads. Have yet to hear another band cover it.
Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Way back in the day - late '79, early '80, the band I was in played Bye Bye Love. However, I don't think we ever opened with it. We played over half of the Cars first album and a bit of Candy-O when that came out.
Back in the bar-band days before we added the girls to the band and started using a sound guy our standard opener was "When The World Was Running Down" where we'd play a couple of verses of the Police version and then go into an extended jam of the live Sting version. Was a good way to get everything soundchecked from on stage. "Bye Bye Love" was always our 2nd song. Occasionally when we had a sound man, we'd open with BBL.

We've since dropped "World" but we'll still do BBL at more "rock" and/or more "concerty" type gigs. Fun song that suits our instrumentation and voices well.

Archived