Guitar players, what amp(s) are you using?

stratotastic

• Members

Mesa Mini Rectifier and/or Mesa Mark V. The Mini Rec usually gets used for my country band gigs, and the Mark V gets the main duties for my rock band gigs.

If I have the space and feel like it sometimes I'll run them both together. They both go into Mesa Thiele cabinets with EVs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the Ultra 1x12. I had mine modded so that the gain boost on the 2nd channel was footswitchable instead of the reverb. Now it's like having a 4-channel amp! I like it so much that I recently walked into GC and bought another that was for sale used as back up. Now I run them stereo and if I ever have a problem I'm already set up and ready to keep going.

In one of my groups, we've gone to in-ear monitoring so I'm considering using my pedal board into my RP1000 for an all direct rig.

• Members

Peavey Classic 30 (purchased 2008). I had the preamp and power amp tubes changed to Groove Tubes in 2011, which makes it sound even better than it did before. It works great for the 50s/60s, classic rock, 80s and country that make up most of our setlist.

Used to use a solid-state Peavey Studio Pro 112 (1989 model, gray stripe), which is great for hard rock and metal. I still have that one as well and may use it in the future for a metal side project.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
Recently changed to a Budda SD18 and 2x12 cab. Cleans aren't as nice as my Egnater Renegade, but the crunch is great. The 18 watt head is plenty loud for all of the venues I play.

Might try to change again though...the gear itch is tough to beat.
I'm using an SD-18 into a 2x12 as well. VERY happy with it. I love the tone, and it's not too hard on my back either. It's gonna take a lot to get me to change...cleans are overrated! icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stratotastic

View Post

Hey Mike--what happened to that Marshall??

I still have it. I haven't done anything to the tubes yet. Gonna take some TLC to get into shape, but it'll get there!

Plus, I just can't seem to let go of the Peavey!!!

• Members

I must be losing my friggin' mind!

For years I used my Tech 21 TM60 'cause it's lightweight, indestructible and sounds great. It was far better sounding than crappy SS amps I'd had in the past and far more reliable than my late 70's boat anchor Twin Reverb. Then I decided to join the 21st century and began using my Digitech GSP1101 direct to the board. After I adjusted to that I began loving it and was getting great guitar sound again. I reached a hi-tech peak recently when I used Amplitube on my iPod touch through my Roland keyboard amp at a jam session and got some wonderful guitar sound.

Then our bass player starts thinking we should just use the PA for vocals so I begin hauling the Tech 21 amp along again. Then yesterday in a moment of devolutionary insanity I ordered a Marshall DSL40c.

• Members

I know a guy who plays a Digitech RP350 modelling pedal through whatever clean amp is around (i.e. a pro PA, keyboard amp, Peavey Bandit, etc).

I would not have believed how good he could sound until I heard it with my own two ears, and watched him use 20 different great guitar sounds in one night, switching between them faster than I can change presets on my piano!

Wes

• Members

Either an AC15hw2 or an AC30hw head thru and Egnator 2-12.

Question for those who gig with an AxeFX - do they have a good classic amp sound for Vox/Rickenbacker head like me? My first foray into rack processors yielded only compressed cheesy metal sounds. How would you say those things work for classic AC sounds and feel ?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by minn12

View Post

Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb. Overdrive/effects comes from the pedalboard.

^^This. thumb.gif

Handles everything from dead cleans to wicked drive. With this, a few pedals, and my strat and LP, I can cover basically anything in the book.

Not to mention it's light and plenty loud enough for any gig we'll ever play. I mic it at every gig with a Sennheiser e609. Played to 600+ people with this rig last weekend. Biggest show to date for us (in terms of numbers).

Archived