Guitar players, what amp(s) are you using?

stratotastic

• Members

I've got a hand full of amps that I use for different situations (Classic 30, silverface super, Carvin Bel Aire 1x12, , but my main sex machine is an early 90's pre 500 Mesa tremoverb 2x12. That thing for me is just the perfect curve of the hip.....

But I've been impressed recently with a Line 6 DT25 with a 1x12 cab I bought for my church gig (with their money). I've been tweaking it and using it for the last several months, and I am highly impressed. Thinking about getting the 50 watt head with a 2x12 cab for me. Bank account says no, but well, you know how that goes.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
I've got a hand full of amps that I use for different situations (Classic 30, silverface super, Carvin Bel Aire 1x12, , but my main sex machine is an early 90's pre 500 Mesa tremoverb 2x12. That thing for me is just the perfect curve of the hip.....

But I've been impressed recently with a Line 6 DT25 with a 1x12 cab I bought for my church gig (with their money). I've been tweaking it and using it for the last several months, and I am highly impressed. Thinking about getting the 50 watt head with a 2x12 cab for me. Bank account says no, but well, you know how that goes.....
Nice to hear positive experiences with the DT. I've been intrigued by that one but have a hard time getting over the stigma of Line 6's endless parade of {censored}ty amp after {censored}ty amp. Do you use one of the new PODs with it?

• Members

Not playing an electric guitar in a band.
Back when I did, I had a old Peavey Artist 240, and later a USA Crate Vintage Club 2110.(still got em both).
Right now I'm using a Roland AC60 for guitar, and an SWR Workingman's 12 for upright and electric bass.
The next amp I buy will prob be an upright bass rig.
I seem to get more gigs with my upright than guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stratotastic View Post
Nice to hear positive experiences with the DT. I've been intrigued by that one but have a hard time getting over the stigma of Line 6's endless parade of {censored}ty amp after {censored}ty amp. Do you use one of the new PODs with it?
Yeah I do....but really it took me a while to work thru all the "integrated" bull{censored}....they make a big deal of that, but it is just marketing foo....as a two channel amp it stands alone as a great amp. The topologies do what they are supposed to do.

I never saw any Line 6 product as anything other than a doo dad filled practice amp. I bought and still have a Flextone III 2x12. I got it stupid cheap ($175 with a floorboard), and keep it as a solid state amp. But it ain't no jewel. In the league of a Peavey Bandit with some nice efx. Does the job. Doesn't make me horny to play it. At all.

But I played the dt25 and was impressed, so I pulled the church's trigger and got it (I love O.P.M.!!!). And I have to say, I'm impressed. I use it every Sunday. I even took it to a rock/dance cover thing, and did a funk/fusion gig with it and remained impressed. It felt like a real amp. When tweaking, I got pretty frustrated and almost gave up. But eventually had to ignore the modeling bull{censored}, start from scratch and dial up an amp configuration I liked, then added the efx and saved it to the patch. Patch 1) clean and dry. Patch 2) clean w/ verb and comp. Patch 3) clean with rev, cho and dly. Patch 4) light touch sensitive crunch. Patch 5) thick crunch. Patch 6) basic distortion. Patch 7) modern metal. I've got it to where I can add a few doo dads to each of those patches (univibes, wah, boost, etc).

Next on my GAS list is a Ceriatone OD50 head, and after that if I'm not homeless, it's the DT50. And really, I'm probably not going to get the HD500. I'll just use it as a 2 channel amp and loop and front end my efx.

• Members

Louis Electric - Buster
Incredible tone, takes pedals well (I use a Rat, tuner and Tubescreamer), is very light and loud. Best club amp I've ever had (I've used a '57 Tremolux, '65 Bassman, '71 Super Reverb, Roland JC, Ampeg V2, etc).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zekmoe View Post
Either an AC15hw2 or an AC30hw head thru and Egnator 2-12.
Question for those who gig with an AxeFX - do they have a good classic amp sound for Vox/Rickenbacker head like me? My first foray into rack processors yielded only compressed cheesy metal sounds. How would you say those things work for classic AC sounds and feel ?
I think they do pretty well. I'm not going to say it is dead on, but there are enough parameters you can tweak, that you should be able to get almost there. You could definitely get close enough that the audience couldn't tell. Here are the things that sold me on mine (the short list) - ton of high quality amp models, quality built in effects, forum community support, the fact that the amps clean up if I roll back my volune and compliments from soundmen on how good it sounds and how easy we are to mix without the stage noise.

I probably use 10-15 percent of what the unit is capable of - but if I get motivated, I could have several patches and match each song. Right now I just use a "pushed clean" tone, vox-like crunch, Marshall-ish crunch, and a Heavy setting using an Orange.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
DT25 info....
Cool thanks. Great info.

Quote Originally Posted by JimiRules View Post
I just got a Marshall YJM100 and its going to be my main amp.
This is on my short list. Is it easy to control the volume difference between normal and boost?

My Mark V is officially sold. Starting the search for real now.

• Members

Dig my ghetto rig! Yet, it sounds FANTASTIC...

I run my guitar thru a Line 6 M9 and into a Behringer Ultra-G DI box, with the cab simulator on. This goes direct to the PA.

I've never been happier with my stage tone... The M9 provides really great drive tones, and the cab sim on the Behringer DI is fantastic. Competent sound guys can mix my guitar in really easily this way, and I can get the exact amount of monitoring I want.

It's not as sexy as playing a super pricey amp, but it sure is more useful (for me). YMMV.

• Members

The past four or five years my guitar amplifier for gigging has mostly been a Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt tube combo. I sometimes use a Tone King Meteor II forty watt tube 1x12 combo, a Comins by Alessandro sixty watt tube 2x10 combo, or a TruBlues tweed Deluxe copy. My bass amplifier is usually a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0.

• Members

For my main band, that does old school punk rock and roll originals, a 50W Sovtek MiG 50H Tube Midget, into a late '70's/early '80's Risson 4x12:

314322_10150314248988879_780639894_n.jpg

For my church's band, I line out my Super Champ XD to PA. When playing outside church or with live drums, I use the SC XD as a stage monitor (below left) and line it out to a bigger amp in the backline, typically my '60's Sunn 200S 60W head into a DIY 2x12, and mic the big amp as necessary (below right, behind me):

221873_166831943374324_6883875_n.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stratotastic View Post
Cool thanks. Great info.

This is on my short list. Is it easy to control the volume difference between normal and boost?

My Mark V is officially sold. Starting the search for real now.
Yeah there's no volume jump at all. Its basically like stepping on an overdrive in front of a clean amp or an amp thats mildly overdriven to begin with. l'm not sure if l'm going to use the built in boost. l kinda like my Marshall Guvnor a little better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still using the Marshall valvestate half-stack (100w), but am looking to downsize. Using the GSP1101, I don't really need the amp's color, and it really isn't necessary.. so I'm thinking of getting a SS JC. I'd go direct, but just had yet another issue with a sound guy on Friday night.. they just don't understand how to deal with a modeler going direct.. (just set the volume, flatline the EQ, and then for the love of god, leave my volume alone! argh!).

Archived