Question about Guitar Center

richardmac

• Members

I know that lots of folks bitch about the big music chains (Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc,) but my Guitar Center is pretty damn good. The sales guys are very low key, no pressure, almost all of them are very knowledgable, it's very easy to grab a guitar and plug in and try it or an amp out.

Here's my question. I just bought a Fender Mustang II amp from them last weekend, and I got an email from the Assistant Sales Manager today, asking me if I liked my amp, if I had any questions, and so on. Is this just my store that does this, or is this some new directive that the corporate suits sent to all the managers? I'm just curious, because I thought it was a nice touch. I told him that I loved the amp for the money, and the only thing I was struggling with was getting a good Vox AC 30 tone out of it.

• Members

I've never had that sort of customer service from GC. Sweetwater always follows up with calls from the salesman (almost annoying so) but I've never had such service from either GC or MF. If they are changing their way of doing things, that might be good. I just ordered a couple of cables online from GC that arrived yesterday. No call or email yet.

Also my local GC is pretty bad. I can stand around for what seems like an hour without anybody asking if I need help even though I usually have (or think I have) a "I NEED HELP HERE!" look on my face and when I do get help the clerks are usually woefully unknowledgable about the product. But that's the keyboard dept. I would presume the guitar dept is better because there are so many more guitar geeks in the world.

• Members

Yes, I've gotten several of those emails after recent purchases at GC. Funny, I don't remember giving them my email. :freak: I replied to one once and never got an answer back. I wouldn't be surprised at all if their computer-generated and the 'salesperson' didn't send them at all.

• Members

The GC by me is pretty good. They have given me discounts, I can try and return stuff no problem, and they will talk endless geek shop with me. There is also a really good setup guy there for the guitars. At the local shops, I just get harassed and have someone on my ass every five secs. At GC, I get left alone if I want. I get the local guys are struggling, but don't act like a desperate salesmen when I come in.

Having said that, I mostly shop online because you can 9/10 get a better deal.

• Members

The GC in Jackson, MS is a great place to check out gear that you buy somewhere else. The people working there would rather talk to each other about how great they are than wait on customers, or they have no real knowledge to share about what they are trying to sell. The selection, however, is big enough that you can generally find something to play with while you are in the store. I grab small items there, because it is convenient, and I don't have to wait for them to come in the mail.

• Moderators

I have had the manager from the local GC call me...but part of that was due to some confusion on an order...still, he is still there, and when I go in, he invariably comes over and says hello. I don't know that this is typical, but that store is one of the closest ones to the corporate offices, so I bet they are on their toes there ;)

• Members

I've had good experiences in the Fredericksburg GC and Virginia Beach GC. Both seem to be staffed with experienced laid back sales people.

Just wondering if anyone has ordered online and returned to their local GC? Do they do that?

• Members

I've heard rumors that there are good GC's out there but I've never experienced one. Got about 7 stores within 30 miles of me and I've been to them all. The guitar guys a tattooed, pierced guys with long dirty hair and the "pro sound" guys are usually keyboard salesman that don't have keyboard customers at that time. I shop GC when I know exactly what I want and I don't have time to make it to the local Sam Ash, which has some decent salesman.

• Members

Yes. I've done it in Pittsburgh no problem.

I've had good experiences in the Fredericksburg GC and Virginia Beach GC. Both seem to be staffed with experienced laid back sales people.

Just wondering if anyone has ordered online and returned to their local GC? Do they do that?

• Members

The guitar center is really good here in Nashville and it's the biggest in the world, so it ought to be! That said, I'm a complete gear slut and full time music dude so I usually know everything about whatever it is I'm trying looking for when I go into a GTR Center but sometimes I stumble upon something that might be cool that I haven't seen before. Anytime I ask about it here, there's someone who really knows so I have to give GTR Center Kudos for stepping up their game. :thu:

Archived