Where do old folks do their gigging?

cascade

• Members

I already know the answer: They don't!

This is all just a "what if" scenario. I recently upgraded the old acoustic and have been playing everyday for a couple of weeks now, and I'm wondering what for, and if I'm wasting time on nothing.

My background has been metal guitar, then punk guitar, then crappy punk guitar whilst singing/learning to sing. The latter has been the past couple of years with the addition of some better songs of pop/rock, although I've been very slowly dropping music altogether out of sheer "what's the point" lack of practicality of it all.

I'm going to be 42 shortly, and I have never gigged. I've always wanted to, but it never worked out. The only band I've been involved with has been all friends. We peaked at one point, and hooked up a no-pressure, punk cover party gig. But one member (the anal-retentive audiophile of the group) kiboshed the whole thing because we wheren't 100% note-for-note perfect. that day was the end of the band, which is almost 10 years past.

I would like to do some playing out, probably in a solo fashion, since there is still a slight urge to do so. Problem is, I don't know where to re-begin. My metal background took me through some classical guitar, but for cover songs in volume, it's pretty much a wide circle around the misfits with a few other odd items. I have a ton of incomplete original material that is very flexible, and I've been droping some of the singing bs and moving back to classical guitar practice. I've never been one to learn much of other peoples music, except for the first few years of playing as a teenager.

So if I where to put an entertainment package together, where would I take my aging, greying self to play for an audience as an amatuer? Could I do something cool, like some fingerpickin and some original melody? or do I need to learn 20 covers of the day to pacify the young crowd?

I know this kind of thing is for the young (at least if you want to have a full, serious go at it), but I think I might enjoy a night out jamming here and there for my own satisfaction - especially if I can put something esoteric and entertaining together, and be maybe even be well recieved. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Get those 20 songs you do together, and head on down to a coffeehouse somewhere. In my area, they pretty much let you play for tips and a free coffee. MANY of the people I've seen there seem to be in your boat. Even with the almost-play-for-free mentality, you may need to jump through the hoops to get a date.

Potts is right about open mics too.

• Members

60 and averaging two gigs per week. I think you're too concerned with your age. What's really holding you back is no experience playing out. Open mic nights are are open to anyone that has the guts to get up there and peform. But if you want paying gigs, you have to play what people want to hear and get comfortable being on stage. A lot of twentysomethings like 60s-80s music.

My future plan at age 70 (yep, 10 years from now) is playing Led Zeppelin songs in nursing homes. 

• Members

I second the open mics idea. You can also network with other open mic performers and get some ideas of where to play.

As to "old performers" in general... a while back I worked with a sax player on a whole bunch of cocktail jazz gigs. He would invariably say "I'm glad I learned how to play jazz". And what he meant was that Jazz, Blues, and some other types of music don't require that you be young. I know of quite a few performers in my city that are gigging all the time that are between 60 and 70 years old. A friend of mine won a Juno award after he had turned 60 (in Canada a Juno is like the American Grammy award).

And although it might depend on the music, that's not a hard and fast rule. I played for three years in a constantly gigging Soul/Rock band and the singer was in his late 60's (although he didn't look it).

And... many of the folks on this forum are no spring chickens - me included. Heck, 42 is young in my books.

• Members

You probably started a whole lot younger than 42 though.

I should've prefaced my title with noob; 42 year old noob. 

I've spent enough time in bars to know that you are really entertaining the girls, and if the girls have a good time than everyone has a good time. But I'm not really a cover guy. I found the setlst trading thread in this forum, and I can say that I don't really care for 80% of the first two pages of lists (no offence to anyones tastes). 

OK, 42, noob and metal guy who has no outlet for whatever style I'm left with.

I'll go now and ponder something else, since this going to go nowhere. I think my reuniting with guitar playing of the old days has got me thinking all nutty.

• Members

I am 52 and "retired" to a holiday resort at 48 yrs and for the last couple of years have started gigging regularly in local bars, to residents in the winter and holiday makers in the summer. Although I learnt basic chords when I was a teen I have put an act together only as I say in the last few years. Great fun good money and a real interest.

no one is holding you back bit yourself, go for it youngster.

Cheers Steve.

• Members

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was looking for a reason to justify my re-interest in all of this, and I don't think I want to meet the grave without ever jaming out. We had out oppourtunity years ago; and when it didn't fly, I set it all down for a long time. I never thought of doing anything solo. 

I don't and have not really seem older folks performing, aside from the odd accordian player, polka band or an open mic situation where the audience has to tolerate such things. A s far as older folks seriously rocking out, in-demand, I have never personally seen it. And with the way the world operates on marketing appeal, it's no wonder. Just like the idol show and the voice show; they have an age limit for a reason, I suppose.

• Members

cascade wrote:

This is all just a "what if" scenario. I recently upgraded the old acoustic and have been playing everyday for a couple of weeks now, and I'm wondering what for, and if I'm wasting time on nothing.

My background has been metal guitar, then punk guitar, then crappy punk guitar whilst singing/learning to sing. The latter has been the past couple of years with the addition of some better songs of pop/rock, although I've been very slowly dropping music altogether out of sheer "what's the point" lack of practicality of it all.

I'm going to be 42 shortly, and I have never gigged. I've always wanted to, but it never worked out. The only band I've been involved with has been all friends. We peaked at one point, and hooked up a no-pressure, punk cover party gig. But one member (the anal-retentive audiophile of the group) kiboshed the whole thing because we wheren't 100% note-for-note perfect. that day was the end of the band, which is almost 10 years past.

I would like to do some playing out, probably in a solo fashion, since there is still a slight urge to do so. Problem is, I don't know where to re-begin. My metal background took me through some classical guitar, but for cover songs in volume, it's pretty much a wide circle around the misfits with a few other odd items. I have a ton of incomplete original material that is very flexible, and I've been droping some of the singing bs and moving back to classical guitar practice. I've never been one to learn much of other peoples music, except for the first few years of playing as a teenager.

So if I where to put an entertainment package together, where would I take my aging, greying self to play for an audience as an amatuer? Could I do something cool, like some fingerpickin and some original melody? or do I need to learn 20 covers of the day to pacify the young crowd?

I know this kind of thing is for the young (at least if you want to have a full, serious go at it), but I think I might enjoy a night out jamming here and there for my own satisfaction - especially if I can put something esoteric and entertaining together, and be maybe even be well recieved. 

If by "old", you mean "over 55", I play at restaurants, cafes, VFWs, Famer's Markets, festivals, private parties, weddings, flea markets/swap meets, and institutions (nursing homes, veteran's and children's hospitals, hospices and prisons) and, rarely, bars.

• Moderators

cascade wrote:

'Old' is a relative term, and in some senses, derogatory. You think you are 'old' at 42? I was gigging before you were born, for goodness sake...as I will guess were a number of the regulars here...and plenty of people in your age bracket gigging regularly.

I've got socks, amps and guitars older than you....:smiley-bounce014:

My suggestion: open your mind up to other music. You are not going to find many solo punk or metal gigs (where is 8string?)...for a number of reasons, but there is no reason you couldn't 'acoustify' some of you favorites. Go to some local blues jams and open mic nights...listen and learn. Socialize...you might actually piece a band together. I re-invented myself in my early forties, going back to roots music, primarily blues, and am still fronting the same band [pieced together over the course of a few years from doing blues jams, sitting in with other bands, doing sound, etc.] for going on 14 years now, doing corporates and festivals... and now in the last year or so, I launched my solo career as a guitarist/singer. ..and a semi-regular house guitarist gig for a local blues jam.

The only thing stopping you is your negative attitude.

There are gigs, as others have noted, like coffee houses, restaurants, small bars, wineries, bowling alley lounges, VFW, Elks, K of C, Moose, Lions, Rotarians, Shriners...

• Members

They're called "Dad bands" haha. I have a friend that called his band "Blame it on Dad". At 42, and as fast as time goes by, in 10 years you'll look back and say "I was so young back then". 

You'll never be as young as you are right now, so appreciate it. (I made that up), but I've met seniors that live by that concept.

• Members

I just turned 67 and am still gigging.

I play at Yacht Clubs, Country Clubs, Marinas, Retirement Developments, Restaurants, Lounges (no singles bars though), Resorts, Condominiums, Private Parties, and plenty of other gigs.

The trick is know enough songs from different eras to target different audiences. So when playing the Yacht Clubs or Country Clubs our song selections are very different from the ones that we play in an assisted living facility.

I've been playing the "adult" gigs since I was young. They pay well, have short hours, and as long as you play what they want, there is no pressure and they are thankful at the end of the gig. The biggest drawback is that there are no young sexy females wanting to go home with a band member ;) but I'm happily married and "true blue" so that doesn't bother me one bit.

When I started playing these gigs, Glenn Miller songs ruled, and Elvis Presley was too new. Now Elvis is getting old and disco era songs are in demand. You get to play everythng, just 40 years later ;)

The biggest problem is that there are fewer and fewer places to play as time goes on. People are staying home and watching TV more than they used to. And after paying upwards to $300/month for a Cable TV subscription, their entertainment budget is in their living room.

The clubs knowing this like to exploit musicians by asking them to play for free (open mic and jam sessions) while the establishment makes a profit from the talents of the musicians. Don't do that, it hurts everybody.

Just make sure you target the paying audience, and make your product better than that of the competition.

You won't make it playing Country Music in San Juan, or Salsa in Waco Texas - being commercial means playing what goes in your area and your targeted market.

Notes

• Members

Yeah sorry Notes you're way off on this one. I agree that low balling and playing for free hurts gigging musicians, but open mics don't fall into that category and in most cases the host is getting paid. Again I can't think of a single gig I've lost because of an open mic. I do remember being about 17 and getting gigs BECAUSE of my performance at one.

• Members

I think Notes misses the point that there is a huge number- I would say the majority of musicians- who just aren't able or for other commitments aren't interested in playing a three- four hour set and getting paid for it. But they like to play and open mics give them the chance to scratch that itch. Musicians are hired to be entertainment. Open mics are designed for an entirely different purpose, where generally speaking the performers and the patrons are one in the same.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

I think Notes misses the point that there is a huge number- I would say the majority of musicians- who just aren't able or for other commitments aren't interested in playing a three- four hour set and getting paid for it. But they like to play and open mics give them the chance to scratch that itch. Musicians are hired to be entertainment. Open mics are designed for an entirely different purpose, where generally speaking the performers and the patrons are one in the same.

Agreed! I'm assuming then that Buffalo seriously has some of the best open mics in the country then. We have Nietzches- an establishment that has had a successful Monday night open mic for AT LEAST 35 years. They used to sneak me and my cousin in there when we were 12 and blow them away with CSN and Beatles covers and quickly sneak us out the back- it was my first gig. We also have Sportsman's Tavern-- they've had a succesfull open mic for at least 20 years or more. Both venues draw national, regional and local acts. 

I'd estimate that you can find an 2 or 3 open mics in Buffalo on almost any given night. And there are many, many full-time and part-time musicians and we're one of the more economically depressed cities in the country.

And Notes? You must live in one of the few places that don't pay their open mic hosts. You should really take that up with the venue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived