[NEWBIE] What to look for when buying a second hand guitar ?

• Members

Hi,

I have absolutely 0 experience with guitars and i'm looking to buy a second hand guitar

What to look for once in front of the guitar ?

General state of the guitar is a given, but what else should i look for ?

Thanks

• Members
Posted (edited)

I assume you are looking at an acoustic. So, let's look down the neck, making sure it's reasonable straight. Look at the bridge from a sideways view. If there is a "belly" ie: a bulge on the top just around the bridge, that would mean the guitar needs work, and would be a hard pass.  Study the wood. look at the sides and back. Any cracks? Walk away unless you know a good tech. Biggest thing however is: How does it sound and play. If you like it, go for it. If there is a feeling of "ehh..." walk away.

Edited by badpenguin
  • Like 1

• Members

I would add:

Check for wear on the frets, especially on the 1st to 5th frets under the 1st and 2nd strings (if there are deep grooves in the frets you may need to have them replaced).

Check the height of the saddle above the bridge slot (if there is only a little of the saddle showing it may be difficult to lower the action should you need to).

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

One more thing, look at overall condition. A guitar that looks like it's been abused probably hasn't received much TLC.

Trigger would like to have a word, sir....😉

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, daddymack said:

Trigger would like to have a word, sir....😉

image.jpeg

Sure but the average owner isn't going to have access to the same resources Willie Nelson does. In the vast majority of cases, a beat up guitar is just going to be a beat up guitar.

Check how far the strings are from the frets, especially where the neck meets the body. The gap should be a few 32nds of an inch. While you're at it, check for a gap under the bridge and between the neck heel and the body. The latter is especially bad news. Look at the guitar edge on and notice whether the top is flat. If it slopes downward from the neck/body joint, keep looking. Similarly, look for a pronounced hump in the fretboard where the neck meets the body. A slight hump is normal but a large one is a sign of trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Look for a buddy who knows a lot about guitars to take shopping with you.  

There are many things that could be wrong with a guitar that a newbie would never notice.   Even folks who do know guitars get a dud sometimes.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Nethan...you post a link in your own thread where you claim to be a newbie? Yeah, your posting on HC has been very odd for someone claiming to be a 'newbie', and I have asked you before not to do this....so that is it. Buh-Bye!

अलविदा, और वापस मत आना