Blame CL for this one! Really, it's not my fault!!!

badpenguin

• Members

Soooooo, cruised my local cl last night, seeing the usual over priced Squiers, Epiphones, and the crap that has lain dormant for years, when I see this "Electra guitar 90 bucks." ok, I am interested and went "PING" in my happy spot. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ibanez's, and still fly the Ibanez flag, but my heart and soul still belong to Uncle Mat, and the Aria's, Electra's Westone's and others produced there. 

So I email, say I'm interested, and leave my number. Great, he doesn't give out his number. Fine, when and where, blah, blah, blah, that would have taken 30 seconds on the phone, took 4 hours thru email. Ok, fine. Oh crap, Mrs. P.... who looked at it went "ehhh, wait.... 90 bucks? Get it." So I go, pick it up,. in torrential downpour I might add, remembering he said it was rewired. Well how bad can it be? Wired by a blind drunk monkey on his day off. Nice solder joints, done well, but made no sense what-so-ever. So, back into the junk drawer for 3 push/pulls. I want it back to the original wiring specs. Coil tap both hums, middle on, and phase for bridge. First two, done in minutes. The phase.... no matter what I do, it's out of phase with itself. I am going to go into the pickup itself and see what monkey boy did. ( it has the original MMK45 3 conductor neck, and the MMK45 4 conductor bridge. Kinda rare, and NO wiring information out there. Lucky me, remembering a guitar I had 25 years ago. Oh joy...)

And of course some of the bridge adjustment screws are frozen. Ok, need to find my torch and see if a little heat will make them move. Eventually. It plays fine the way it is.

So now I am pretty sure some of you are going, "Jeez, just show the damn thing..." Ok here you go.... my 1984 Electra/Westone/Phoenix XV3RD Dynasty! (also known as the Klingon.) Meet my General Martok!

20230615_220007.thumb.jpg.6021252850eb34bf1afa935ad9e26891.jpg

Yeah, she's a bit beat, but what Klingon battle cruiser isn't? Ever see a shiny one? Me neither. QAPLA'!

• Like 5