Anchor Studs Or Not For LP Style Bridge??

ksl

• Members

Greetings~ As you can see from my pics, my guitar doesn't have those anchors, & is probably more like original LP's,,, Is there any real sustainable benefit for me to switch over to anchors? Is there any one particular brand that reigns supreme?

Thanks all & happy holidays!! 

20211225_225525.thumb.jpg.79e35e65c2354f9ed0bd321784673c68.jpgScreenshot_20211225-230233_eBay.thumb.jpg.fe17a10c6f62829756de396373a46643.jpg

Edited by ksl
Addition

• ksl changed the title to Anchor Studs Or Not For LP Style Bridge??
  • Members

1) Gibson has used that system for decades. It's even on the high-end historic reissues. Your posts aren't bent, so no, there is no need to replace it with a modern setup.

2) Stike a note, say the F# on the B string. Listen to the sustain. Now ask yourself "Do I really need more sustain?" When was the last time you thought that your guitar didn't have enough sustain? I come from the era that thought brass was the answer to all. Brass nuts, brass saddles, brass tailpieces, brass blocks under the tailpiece. What did that give us? Overly bright and heavy guitars.

3) Yes, there are replacement parts that have better string contact points. Babicz is first in mind. Babicz Full Contact Hardware TOM/TP Chrome | zZounds | Reverb But why would you want such an overly engineered chunk of metal on your guitar? 

Edited by badpenguin

• Moderators

The only reasons to install 'stud mounts' would be if the existing posts were 'bent' [does happen, but not common in my experience], but the more common reason is 'leaning', meaning the wood they are screwed into has deteriorated [which is why the insert studs exist]. Yours, as jtr and bp noted, look fine, and the inserts really won't give you more sustain; if anything, they just add another layer of 'damping' between the string and the body.

• Members
15 hours ago, ksl said:

Great & thanks for all the affirmations & advice.... So, is what I have, the Nashville setup I hear of?

peace

I have Nashville tuning on one of mine right now. It’s not something I play a lot but it has a place . It’s the octave strings a 12 string would use. As you can see G is the highest string then it goes down for B and E

CBC9AF47-5D3D-4A8A-AC38-12E7487350FB.thumb.jpeg.e81897e36b9e2e51f8a7160a5bccb14a.jpeg

Edited by gardo
  • Confused 1

• Members
20 hours ago, ksl said:

Great & thanks for all the affirmations & advice.... So, is what I have, the Nashville setup I hear of?

peace

No, you have an ABR style bridge. A Nashville one is the one that don't screw directly into the wood. It has a set collar into the wood, then the screw posts, then the bridge.

ABR:

1273893671_download(11).jpg.da54176af6797ada85df44bd899e805a.jpg

Nashville:

792854769_download(12).jpg.8e4668212226573410cef401da2068cd.jpg

14 hours ago, gardo said:

I have Nashville tuning on one of mine right now. It’s not something I play a lot but it has a place . It’s the octave strings a 12 string would use. As you can see G is the highest string then it goes down for B and E

And wrong Nashville, he is talking about the style of bridge NOT the tuning.

Edited by badpenguin
  • Thanks 1

• Members
1 hour ago, badpenguin said:

No, you have an ABR style bridge. A Nashville one is the one that don't screw directly into the wood. It has a set collar into the wood, then the screw posts, then the bridge.

ABR:

1273893671_download(11).jpg.da54176af6797ada85df44bd899e805a.jpg

Nashville:

792854769_download(12).jpg.8e4668212226573410cef401da2068cd.jpg

And wrong Nashville, he is talking about the style of bridge NOT the tuning.

That’s a new one for me then