Best passive sub for under $1,200.00

• Members

I'd like to hear a little more about those as well. (The TX9s) I may be picking up another set of subs in late January/early February. I was primarily thinking UCS1pb's, but I've yet to come across a pair "in the flesh". I'd have to order on blind-faith since my dealer doesn't routinely stock these items, nor the TX9s. I'm also going to audition a pair of Danley KH-115's, but that dealer won't have them in stock for another two months or so.

Can you elaborate a bit on the TX9s? What subs did they replace?

pretty lame: Bose 502B's (four of them) and prior to that a pair of TOA SLB's

What tops are you using with them?

currently: Yorkville e152B's or Yorkville TX4's (as a tri-amped system) and Yorkville TX8's (as a four-way system)

How are you powering them?

one TX9S per side of an Itech6000

Type of music?

local sound for hire gigs ie; outdoor summer concerts with classic rock bands, etc.

What differentiates them sonically, from other subs you looked at?

Compared to what I originally used, there is no comparison. I could have gone a step up from what I had been using but decided to "buy once, cry once". Everyone that I have provided sound production for has been pleased.

An added bonus is that the TX9's height is the perfect height to put a 15/2 cab on as it places the 15/2's horn at an ideal height for club work

Thanks,

Bob

Mike M

• Members
TL, I think you just taught me something here.
:idea::thu:

So let me get this straight, "all dual 18" subs are bass-reflex cabs?
:idk:

Bob

I believe your right. I have not seen any folded horns with twin 18s. Danley makes one with twin 15s that is a monster. Its a true sub 30 hz box. Bet that would sound good with some cool synth patches.:love::love::love:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH 215

But 200# is a ball buster.

• Members
I believe your right. I have not seen any folded horns with twin 18s. Danley makes one with twin 15s that is a monster. Its a true sub 30 hz box. Bet that would sound good with some cool synth patches.
:love:

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH

But 200# is a ball buster.

I haven't check out the link yet, but I guess dual-driver folded-horn subs, are basically an installation type speaker. Makes sense to me, but what the hell do I know, :facepalm:

• Members
I haven't check out the link yet, but I guess dual-driver folded-horn subs, are basically an installation type speaker. Makes sense to me, but what the hell do I know,
:facepalm:

No I think most of those subs are made to be portable. The bigger ones are for touring acts not a guy using his SUV to do sound.

When you get up to those kind of weights 200-400 pound subs you need a crew to move them around. I was watching this thing on blink 182 and they need 6 big tractor trailers to bring their road show {censored} in.

Here are specs on the danley 412

Model Max. SPL Sensitivity Magnitude Response Power Rating Dimensions Weight
TH 412
142 dB
110 dB
33 Hz

• Members

Good Lord, 357 lbs. Reminds me of a gal I once,,,,,, oh, nevermind.:lol:

The bass-reflex LS 1004's then, are rather "puny" in comparison, at a paltry 163 lbs. As I recall, roughly 24" wide, 29" deep, and 48-49" tall.

In the 90's, I went to the Rolling Stones' "Steel Wheels" tour in Montreal. They did three shows at the Olympic Stadium there. If I remember correctly, they had OVER 20 tractor trailers for that show. Seems to me it was actually something like 24, or possibly 26. It was a helluva show.

"In Living Color" opened for the Stones, and you could barely hear them, then, when the Stones came out, it was like someone threw a switch on a nuclear (or as George Dubya used to say, Nucular) reactor. Absolutely jaw-dropping sound-pressure. Still, sound was only good on the floor. The higher up you went in the seats, the worse the sound was. Dreadful acoustics in that cavernous venue. All told, I think they sold just over 1/4 million tickets, for 3 shows. (roughly 90,000 per show).

Bob

• Members
Good Lord, 357 lbs. Reminds me of a gal I once,,,,,, oh, nevermind.
:lol:

The bass-reflex LS 1004's then, are rather "puny" in comparison, at a paltry 163 lbs. As I recall, roughly 24" wide, 29" deep, and 48-49" tall.

In the 90's, I went to the Rolling Stones' "Steel Wheels" tour in Montreal. They did three shows at the Olympic Stadium there. If I remember correctly, they had OVER 20 tractor trailers for that show. Seems to me it was actually something like 24, or possibly 26. It was a helluva show.

"In Living Color" opened for the Stones, and you could barely hear them, then, when the Stones came out, it was like someone threw a switch on a nuclear (or as George Dubya used to say, Nucular) reactor. Absolutely jaw-dropping sound-pressure. Still, sound was only good on the floor. The higher up you went in the seats, the worse the sound was. Dreadful acoustics in that cavernous venue. All told, I think they sold just over 1/4 million tickets, for 3 shows. (roughly 90,000 per show).

Bob

Bet they needed more than a few 50 amp fuses:thu::thu:

• Members
for you power hogs 8000 watts is tough/expensive to do with 1.5 overhead

:evil:
:evil::poke:

8000 watts is already 2x the continuous, so there's no need or want for "overhead", it's already included. With the proper processing, about 4000-6000 watts at 2 ohms (or 2-3000 watts/channel at 4 ohms) is reasonable.

• Members

Those subs work by using pressurized air from the other subs. Air is compressable, and takes time to get up enough pressure to actually push the passive woofer. While it's true that this happens in a fraction of a second, it will still hurt how accurate and tight your bass is. You would have the two powered woofers make a sound, and then a fraction of a second later the passive woofer would be pushed and make it's sound; the sound is delayed though, so things become muddied and inaccurate.

• Members

No offense to anyone but I'm not much on JBL.

JBL's JRC series are in my opinion, pretty rubbish. I heard some at a shop and wasn't impressed at all. The MRX series on the other hand, is damn good, and sounded excellent. I've not heard the SRX700 series yet, But I own an SRX728 (just bought it and only tested it low volume in my flat), but review after review after review from customers and professional sound guys say that its miles better than the older SR and standard SR-X series and just absolutely blows the JRX series out of the water like 100lbs of semtex blowing up a dolphin. JBL is a manufacturer that is getting better with each mid-high end series theh bring out. In the days of old, JBL was LOUD, but had harsh and brutal sound, but now the sound quality is like JBL have taken on a new outlook on their speakers, and are trying to get away from the old 'dj speakers' sterotype. Their 'Vertec' and 'Venue Performance' series speakers are suppose to be pretty damn awesome.

• Members

If you can stretch your budget to $1,500 there's the JBL SRX728 dual 18" sub. If not, there's the EV TX2181. I've heard the TX2181 and its a pretty damn good sub for the price. Doesn't go as low as the SRX728 but it gives you a punch in the chest and delves to about 45-50hz. If I was you though i'd stretch the budget to be able to buy the SRX728, because its supposedly the best sub in the world for the price, and the reviews of it on many, many websites from customers and sound professionals is awesome. Give me a week and i'll be able to tell you exactly what its like. I just bought one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Well apart from very low volume in my flat.

• Members

Those subs work by using pressurized air from the other subs. Air is compressable, and takes time to get up enough pressure to actually push the passive woofer. While it's true that this happens in a fraction of a second, it will still hurt how accurate and tight your bass is. You would have the two powered woofers make a sound, and then a fraction of a second later the passive woofer would be pushed and make it's sound; the sound is delayed though, so things become muddied and inaccurate.

Huh?

• Members

JBL's JRC series are in my opinion, pretty rubbish. I heard some at a shop and wasn't impressed at all. The MRX series on the other hand, is damn good, and sounded excellent. I've not heard the SRX700 series yet, But I own an SRX728 (just bought it and only tested it low volume in my flat), but review after review after review from customers and professional sound guys say that its miles better than the older SR and standard SR-X series and just absolutely blows the JRX series out of the water like 100lbs of semtex blowing up a dolphin. JBL is a manufacturer that is getting better with each mid-high end series theh bring out. In the days of old, JBL was LOUD, but had harsh and brutal sound, but now the sound quality is like JBL have taken on a new outlook on their speakers, and are trying to get away from the old 'dj speakers' sterotype. Their 'Vertec' and 'Venue Performance' series speakers are suppose to be pretty damn awesome.

You have an odd view of JBL and the industry as a whole. By any chance are you very young?

As a user and servicer of JBL products for say 30 years, your comparisons make little sense. They never had a DJ stereotype, they have probably sold more $$$ worth of cinema speakers alone than DJ speakers. Their pro products have always been some of the very best available, the lower end products SF, TR, JRX, etc., suck pretty much like everybody elses.

• Members

Curly: If we had our own boat we could catch the fish, cut out the middleman and all the profit would be ours...

Moe: Hey genius, say that again...

Curly: If we had a boat, and the fish on the left side, and the middleman...

Moe: You really had something when you didn't know what you were talking about...

Allisa, where are you from? Hang out here a little and you will really learn something - not that you need to....

• Members

Well, now that my secret is out, I use a Binford 1000 air compressor powered by a Chevy 350 with camelback 202 heads and dual 4 barrel carbs to pressurize my subs. Instant pressure on my passive woofers means my tight bass is sounding tight! :lol:

Forgot to mention Im in the SRX718 fan club for lightweight subs.

• Members

...They never had a DJ stereotype, they have probably sold more $$$ worth of cinema speakers alone than DJ speakers....

This is VERY true. I would venture to say that 75-80% of the feature films you've seen have been mixed on JBL Cinema Speakers, and probably another 50% you heard on playback of those Films. JBL dominates the cinema market like Sony dominates the High End VTR market. In fact, I can't think of a Dub stage that I've been on that isn't JBL... although I have heard of some EAW, Bag End, & other designs. And that JBL sound IS Film sound. Which is Very, Very, Very Good.

Todd A.

• Members

Which is why I hate carrying around all those tanks of compressed air to gigs. They weigh more than the subs. :blah:

• Members
Which is why I hate carrying around all those tanks of compressed air to gigs. They weigh more than the subs.
:blah:

With the economy going to heck you can pick up an Ingersoll Rand diesel powered compressor for a reasonable price and crank those subs up to "jack hammer" SPL levels :eek:!

• Members

You have an odd view of JBL and the industry as a whole. By any chance are you very young?

As a user and servicer of JBL products for say 30 years, your comparisons make little sense. They never had a DJ stereotype, they have probably sold more $$$ worth of cinema speakers alone than DJ speakers. Their pro products have always been some of the very best available, the lower end products SF, TR, JRX, etc., suck pretty much like everybody elses.

I meant in the way that a hell of a lot of djs use JBL and i've heard JBL having been called dj speakers for years and years. Or rather speakers that djs tend to use. I personally have always seen them as professional equipment.

Archived