Best passive sub for under $1,200.00

• Members
The Yorkville LS1004 is a helluva nice sounding sub, and right in that price ramge. Tight, articulate, and punchy. I was VERY impressed by this sub.

Bob

I like them too. 2/side will do a pretty good sized room and some smaller outdoor stuff. Ooops. Got my models confused. I was referring to the LS1208 FH Scoop. I like these a lot better than the 800 series.

• Members

I heard the LS1004's at a local high-school "video dance" operated by MuchMusic*. Room capacity was easily 400. The LS1004's (1 per side), were parked under a single Yorkville Elite E2152 per side. The sound pressure was stunning, yet not a trace of boominess in the subs, nor harshness in the tops. By FAR the best sound I've ever heard at that venue. These guys really had them dialed in. All Yorkville amps/processors from what I could see.

The students' council decided to hold another dance, again with MuchMusic*, but this time, a different sub-contractor showed up. Basically, it was the same "show", with the same tops (E2152's), but different subs (LS800pb's). I couldn't not stay in that room. Subs sounded boomy, and not remotely as good/tight as the LS1004's. Mind you, this contractor had the LS800's on the floor, 1 per side. The guy who had the LS1004's, had them laying on their sides, on an elevated stage (3'), and 1 per side.

• Members

Maybe what you were enjoying was boundary cancellation:) I've had subs on stages that were seemingly cancelling with "the real" floor below.

Although to be fair the LS800P's are boomy. However, moving a sub that far would/should result in very different results, most of the time.

• Members

Hey, not everyone loves them. I was at a guitar clinic a couple of years ago in a really nice auditorium and this amazing acoustic player was having the sound guy contort the eq for him until he finally just settled for it and made some comment about how he didn't care for the sound of JBLs.

• Members
Hey, not everyone loves them. I was at a guitar clinic a couple of years ago in a really nice auditorium and this amazing acoustic player was having the sound guy contort the eq for him until he finally just settled for it and made some comment about how he didn't care for the sound of JBLs.

but we're talking subs. What he describes for wanting in a sub fits JBL subs perfectly from what I've heard of them.

• Members

I had a pair of the LS1004 and did not care for them. I turned to the UCS1 and was much happier with the sound and output. Four UCS1 will sound better and have more output than two of the LS1004. I found the LS1004 cones to bottom out rather easily for some reason and they didn't provide the output I expected for a dual 18 cabinet....though they sounded okay.

• Members

I'd like to hear a little more about those as well. (The TX9s) I may be picking up another set of subs in late January/early February. I was primarily thinking UCS1pb's, but I've yet to come across a pair "in the flesh". I'd have to order on blind-faith since my dealer doesn't routinely stock these items, nor the TX9s. I'm also going to audition a pair of Danley KH-115's, but that dealer won't have them in stock for another two months or so.

Can you elaborate a bit on the TX9s? What subs did they replace? What tops are you using with them? How are you powering them? Type of music? What differentiates them sonically, from other subs you looked at?

Thanks,

Bob

• Members

I had a pair of the LS1004 and did not care for them. I turned to the UCS1 and was much happier with the sound and output. Four UCS1 will sound better and have more output than two of the LS1004. I found the LS1004 cones to bottom out rather easily for some reason and they didn't provide the output I expected for a dual 18 cabinet....though they sounded okay.

If you were bottoming these out, you did not follow the recommended HPF parameters and/or were overpowering them. Guaranteed.

• Members

Yes I had the JRX and MRX speakers. I have'nt owned any JBL subs but I have been around quite a few.

Clearly, you haven't been around any of the good stuff, operated by pros. They are one of the leading subs in the pro market, and farnkly they sound as good as any of the options mentioned. Comparing bottom of the line models of anything, especially operated by unskilled folks is not a realistic or even reasonable evaluation of a product like this. I use JBL subs in a pro environment with no problems or complaints whatsoever.

• Members

If you were bottoming these out, you did not follow the recommended HPF parameters and/or were overpowering them. Guaranteed.

You are correct on the first part, but I gave the boxes a little less than the Yorkville recommended power. I used these subs before I had digital processing with all the bells and wistles so I really didn't have any HPF set except what my amp at the time had on its dip switches.

I do stand behind the UCS1 subs having more output (using the same number of drivers) and sounding better (at least to my ears) than the LS1004 using the gear I had at the time.

• Members

What would you power these boxes with? I assume running 600wrms/4 ohms /channel, 1 sub/channel?

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=128

Bob

Interesting to note that the LS1004, is the only bass-reflex sub in Yorkvilles' Elite series subwoofers. All other Elite series subs are horn-loaded. Maybe that's worthy of a thread of its own. It's also the only dual 18" in the Elite series.

Archived