Going to gig again in November

Notes_Norton

• Members
4 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Unfortunate but you gotta do what you gotta do. :( BTW, that poster reminds me of what a lovely song "I don't Know Why, I Just Do" is. Thanks for that, anyway.

The poster was so sweet I had to learn to sing it. It's fluff but such sweet fluff. Here's my favourite version:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't blame you Pogo. I'm happily unemployed now - happy to be healthy.

A friend of mine who is a fine guitar player was in a band that gigged because they targeted a much younger audience than we do. 3 out of the 4 members got COVID, one of them died, my friend has been running a fever for a couple of weeks, and I haven't heard from him in a few days. He's not answering, I'm concerned.

I've been out since March 17.

The winter guests from Canada are not coming down this year (I don't blame them) so the RV park where 600 spots are rented by them is not having entertainment.

The restaurant I've played one day a week at for 12 years and was supposed to go back to in November is hurting and hiring single guitar playing singers for $20 and a meal, so that's out for us.

The yacht clubs, country clubs, condominiums, and retirement developments that we play one-nighters for have all cancelled and I've returned their deposits.

For the second time since I was a junior in high school, I don't have a New Year's Eve gig. The other time an agent double booked and I lost the coin toss.

So I'm writing new aftermarket style e-disks and fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box. It'll take many months before I see a penny of that, but at least it's productive, music, and possibly profitable in the future (I sell to musicians who are also unemployed).

The Pfizer vaccine looks promising. Hopefully it's a light at the end of the tunnel and not the headlight of an oncoming train.

Not gigging seems to be a wise move right now. We had 1,000 new cases in Florida yesterday.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Don't bother even trying to gig in Massachusetts. We have governors orders to close up everything at 9:30pm. Everyone much be at home by 10pm.

I took a retirement job with an essential transportation company. It's actually a cool job, but nowhere near as cool as playing out. 

Pfizer, Moderna and now AstraZeneca just releases some very promising info as of yesterday.

https://apnews.com/article/astrazeneca-vaccine-third-cheaper-oxford-c99d26eb2946f6fde45a1edc002ff028

The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in one of the dosing regimens tested; it was less effective in another. Earlier this month, rival drugmakers Pfizer and Moderna reported preliminary results from late-stage trials showing their vaccines were almost 95% effective.

While the AstraZeneca vaccine can be stored at 2 degrees to 8 degrees Celsius (36 degrees to 46 degrees Fahrenheit), the Pfizer and Moderna products must be stored at freezer temperatures. In Pfizer’s case, it must be kept at the ultra-cold temperature of around minus-70 degrees Celsius (minus-94 Fahrenheit).

The AstraZeneca vaccine is also cheaper.

• Members

There was an item on the BBC recently about the cost of those vaccines. Pfizer expects to charge $40 for two doses because they "have to recoup our R&D investment." But a researcher from Duke ran the numbers and Pfizer can expect around 1 billion orders from various world governments. That's $40 billion. Surely that should cover R&D with some left over? They could probably sell it for $1 per dose and still break even. It's not like they don't have other sources of profit.

• Members
11 hours ago, daddymack said:

go talk to their CFO...😜

I already know what he'd say. :( Last night on the news the projection was 1.3 billion doses worldwide for just Pfizer. Let's assume that means 0.65 billion (650 million) patients at 2 doses each and $40 a patient. That's $26 billion, which clearly isn't all overhead even if they have to store the stuff in cloned mammoth spleens, and they're going to rake that much in during a global pandemic. Pfizer is worth $221 billion and you can bet they didn't get there giving their products away but at some point there's gotta be a line between making an honest--or even dishonest--buck and profiteering. https://www.investopedia.com/articles/insights/080816/pfizer-7-secrets-you-didnt-know-pfe.asp

• Members

I haven't checked for awhile, but I trust everyone is doing as well as can be expected. It's been so long since I've posted, it's possible I'm about to repeat myself - oh well... blame it on 2020.

I haven't been doing much. Filmed a couple of "live" videos for some streaming jazz concerts (with a band). If I find the links I might post them. I did one live outdoor gig in August and that's about it. I've turned down a few gigs because it felt strange to risk my health for a hundred bucks. Mainly been working on this radio musical for a friend. It's way more work than I thought but it keeps me out of trouble.

Re: decks, I spent the money I had set aside for recording a CD on replacing our two decks. One plywood  and vinyl top, and one cedar. Got rid of the thirty year old hot tub, and have done a bunch of other grunt work around the house.

I've had a few nibbles for Christmas day gigs, but I'm thinking of passing. The Covid numbers are going up here in Vancouver, and it might not be worth it to play.

Stay safe folks.

• Members

We had one offer, for a yacht club/country club we've played a couple of times per year for many years. I think it was an exploratory call as it was from one of the members on a committee and not the management.

I said we were open on the date they requested, and asked what protective measures the would be implementing for the band and the guests. I haven't heard from them since.

To tell the truth, if it isn't outdoors and far enough away from the audience, as much as I'm wanting to gig, I would probably turn it down. I can't wear a mask singing or playing wind instruments, and there is no Ctrl+Z if I catch a virus.

Sooner or later (hopefully sooner but I'm not holding my breath) this will be resolved one way or another. All the plagues in history have had their end. My plan is for Leilani and I to be survivors.

Then we'll get back to gigging. I suppose people will be wanting live music to return.

Our last gig was March 17, so we are on our ninth month of no-gigs. I hope when we gig again, I'll remember how to set up the PA gear :D

• Members

still haven't gigged since March. Dates are slowly being cancelled for the coming season. The big Christmas gigs are still up for grabs. I really doubt any of them will pan out. The owners of the venues are likely to cancel. Haven't heard from the New Years eve dance. I will be contacting them just to make sure they aren't trying to figure out how to get 500 people in a hall for the biggest dance of the year. As much as I could use the big payday, it will be virtually impossible to have a safe inside party.

A few mobile home and rv parks are trying to figure out how to have outdoor parties in the parking lot of the clubhouse instead of inside the hall. Then everybody can spread out and not be on top of each other. They mentioned a pool party, but that would be a crowded situation. Cant imagine 150-200 packed around a pool, even with masks on.

I've waited all this time. Unless the situation is very safe, I'd rather just hold off till the "All Clear" is confirmed or the vaccines are distributed. Maybe April/May we'll get to a reasonable normal

• Moderators

sorry to hear that, Jay🙁

I was informed last night that [as expected] the NYE gig I was scheduled for [side man gig, although I do most of the singing for this guy] is now off. I really kind of knew this wouldn't go, but I said yes anyway [back in September].

I am reconciled to waiting for a vaccine that is widely distributed and safe. Until then, I keep working up 'new' material. Ever the optimist....or optometrist, because I can see me getting back to gigging...😉

• Members

I'm with you on that Jay.

No work since March 17. Christmas and New Years are cancelled as they are in an RV park that hosts 600 sites used by Canadian winter visitors. Nobody is driving an RV across the border right now. The border remains closed. Besides, who would want to come to the COVID capital of the world?

This will be the second New Years Eve I haven't worked since I was a Junior in High School. The first one was when an agent double booked and I lost the coin toss. I got some compensation for that. I won't get anything this year, I returned the deposit. It wasn't their fault the gigs were cancelled.

Our season is usually booked from Halloween through Easter with from 3 to 5 one-nighters per week tapering off from Easter to around Mother's day. This year we have nothing, zip, nada, zero, zilch.

We chose the 55 year old audience in 1985, and they have treated us well. But they are the high risk group, so I can't blame them for canceling. I'm in the high risk group now too so it's probably best for us. --- If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

Hopefully the vaccines on the horizon will let us return to some kind of new normal by next winter season. The first group to get the shots will be the essential workers, and they will be the beta testers. I'll get in line as soon as I can if it works for them.

And I don't expect Bill Gates to put a microchip in the vaccine. If he does, perhaps it'll let me get along with Windows updates better :D

• Members

Well now I have to put up or shup up. Just got offered the 24th, 25th and 31st of December, all instrumentals, in a very large and modern lounge. I would wear a mask and be away from the diners. Much safer than a grocery store clerk or a bus driver, but nothing is 100%. So far I've said yes, but I'll be watching the numbers...

• Members

i took the time i had off this summer to have some neck surgery. My pickin' hand was going numb and i've been dealing with pain and numbness for 10 years. been through the shots and therapy. Dr said that since i was out of work, now would be a good time to get a c6-c7 disc replacement. they said the replacement will keep my movement and told me that fusion would be a longer recovery. so, on august 7, i had the surgery. within 3 weeks, i was driving. by 6 weeks, i was back to normal. only thing that took time to get back was the voice. i couldnt sing a note for 4 weeks. but that has come back 100%.

i'm ready to gig. learned about 40 more songs this summer. posted a bunch of videos on my youtube page. built 5 guitars, and revamped my rig. i figured the time off has gave me a chance to fix some flaws in my solo act that has been bugging me the past few years, but was too busy to fix.

Shaster...I hope you get to play those gigs. I'd do an instrumental night with a mask if the chance came up.

• Members
14 hours ago, Shaster said:

Well now I have to put up or shup up. Just got offered the 24th, 25th and 31st of December, all instrumentals, in a very large and modern lounge. I would wear a mask and be away from the diners. Much safer than a grocery store clerk or a bus driver, but nothing is 100%. So far I've said yes, but I'll be watching the numbers...

Good luck to you Shaster. I hope you come away as healthy as you went in.

Unsolicited advice: Try not to sit/stand in front of the AC return vent, I understand that is the worst place to be.

Take care

• Members
On 11/27/2020 at 7:29 PM, Shaster said:

Best of luck with the gig. Keep us posted. :thu:

• Members

I guess I'm doing a Christmas party for 30 at a local big country club on Dec 12th. 2 hours of instrumentals with 1 fifteen minute break. Told them I would be in a mask the entire time. I'll be distanced from everybody. They are fellow musicians, so I hope they know how to act. Tables will be spread apart. No dancing. The pay will cover my house payment. And since all my other holiday parties are cancelled, I could really use one good check for December

• Members
On 12/4/2020 at 1:39 PM, leftyjay said:

. . . The pay will cover my house payment. And since all my other holiday parties are cancelled, I could really use one good check for December

Best of luck with the gig. You're fortunate to be an instrumentalist and one who can play masked, rather than a vocalist or horn player.

• Members

I'm a singer, but have learned over the past 33 years as a soloist as a full time job, to have a good supply of instrumentals for guitar, piano, lap steel, banjo, etc. There has been times when I had a bad cold and couldn't sing. The crowd usually understands the situation. I still have dance songs I converted to instrumentals so they can still get up and shake.😀

They wanted me to sing. I told them the only way I'll play is to be masked and play instrumentals. I'm sure the hall ventilation hasn't been modded with better filters. People will take their masks off to eat and talk across the table. It will be important to keep the music low so they can talk without screaming across the table.

I told them a few weeks ago that I wasn't really wanting to play an inside venue. It wouldn't bother me if I didn't play. They called me and said the club can handle a group of 30. I'm surprised they ok'd any type of gathering.

They are a bunch of musicians that jam every Thursday at a vacation spot in Venice Fl. They ask me every year to play their Christmas party. I'm scheduled for the Valentines dinner too this year.

Usually, they eat the first hour and I am wallpaper music mixing Christmas hits with instrumentalized hits from the 50s-90s (I can turn any song I play into an instrumental on the fly). The next set they usually like some oldies to dance to. This year, it will be a concert. They will enjoy it because they usually hire me just to watch my guitar playing. 😎lol

Besides, I told them my throat is still a little weak from the neck surgery I had a while back. It's taken quite a while to get my range back, but I dont think I'm ready to sing 40+ songs a night and play 4-5 nights a week.

• Members

I like playing 'the dinner set' because it gives me a chance to play mellow music.

I like the dance sets to because it gives me a chance to play energetic music.

Life is too short to enjoy only one kind of music.

Good luck on the gig, I hope you leave as healthy as you entered.

• Members
17 hours ago, leftyjay said:

I'm a singer, but have learned over the past 33 years as a soloist as a full time job, to have a good supply of instrumentals for guitar, piano, lap steel, banjo, etc. . . .

Unfortunately, I don't play well enough to not sing. But fortunately, I'm not normally a soloist. My regular "gig" is playing guitar/bass in a praise band and that hasn't happened in most of a year.

Archived