Need Whammy Bar Size~~

ksl

• Members
Hi all, I just got this guitar for a steal, an 80's E Series MIJ Strat Squier. My 6mm bars are too big, another unknown width one is too small.
What to do, what to get? Preferably a shorter Gilmour-style bar.
Be safe & stay well~~
🕉

Screenshot_20200510-182330_Gallery.jpg

• Members

It's either M5 or 10-32.  American fenders are typically 10-32 which is just under 5mm in diameter. 

Go to the hardware store and get an m5 screw, and a 10-32 screw and see which fits.  Pay close attention to how the threading feels.  A 10-32 will thread into an m5 tapped hole, but it won't feel quiet right.  It'll feel a little sloppy.  An M5 won't go into a 10-32 tapped hole, so if the M5 doesn't go in, it's a 10-32.  If it does, its an m5. 

If you use the wrong one the trem arm is likely to eventually snap off in the block because of the poor fitting thread.

• Members

Thanks for the info, guys. It's off to home depot! FYI, I have one of those threading devices, & I was able cut a 6mm down to 5mm w/no issues. Normally I wouldn't take such 'measures', but it was an older thick, & almost straight that I simply loved.

peace & be well~

• Members

Yeah, I need a 5mm. Funny, when I went to HD to use their displays to see where my whammy comfortably screwed into, & the 5mm was missing!!,,,but the 10-32 was too small, 6mm too big, and i bought a 5mm bolt which fit perfectly on the guitar. Thanks!!

• Moderators

calipers...FTW...I'd be lost without mine...string/wire gauges, nut slots, truss rod tools/allen wrenches...hardware diameters...:thu:

btw, the necks on some of those early 80's Japanese Squiers can be outstandingly perfect...I've repaired a few J-Squiers over the years, never the necks, though, never even had to adjust one!  Typical: cracked/chipped pickguards, whammy claw torn out [2 different guitars. put a 'block' in one, and a Floyd in the other...
PITA!! Never again!], tuners stripped, cracked nuts [:eek2:] but never any issues with the actual necks...

• Members
4 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

Just Google "tape measure" or "calipers" and do your own leg work. 

Usually good advise but in this case it won't get you there. An m5 and a 10-32 thread are very close in major diameter, and the threads per inch almost match.  A 10-32 screw will screw into an m5 hole, but an m5 screw won't thread into a 10-32 hole.  

Even though they are close enough to sort of fit together, the thread geometry is different and they really shouldnt be mismatched. 

• Members
5 hours ago, ksl said:

Yeah, I need a 5mm. Funny, when I went to HD to use their displays to see where my whammy comfortably screwed into, & the 5mm was missing!!,,,but the 10-32 was too small, 6mm too big, and i bought a 5mm bolt which fit perfectly on the guitar. Thanks!!

Very cool!

Archived