Bring On Old Threads! (The relevant ones)

Gibson29

• Members

You’re not that jaded to think it’s ALL been solved, are you?  Yeah, kinda weird first-time posters bring up 10 yo threads, but who cares, some of them are still relevant.  Maybe the management will stop with the UN-relevant ancient threads and focus on stuff that matters to this day to put the fake first posters on.  :) Just kidding Mgmt!

Still, some are good topics of conversation for us bored people.  I’m injury home-bound for another few weeks, hopefully not longer, and itching for something interesting.

1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

Maybe the management will stop with the UN-relevant ancient threads and focus on stuff that matters to this day to put the fake first posters on.  :) Just kidding Mgmt!

For the record, we have nothing to do with the people who join the site and bump really old threads. Zero. Nada. Zilch. 

For the past few months I personally have examined each and every new applicant who has signed up for the site before deciding whether or not to approve them. I check their IP addresses, look for known proxies, duplicates, and be-back alts, and check their email addresses, as well as use all the anti-spam tools that our latest software has. It takes a bit more time and effort than just letting the software auto-approve everyone and then deleting spam posts and banning the spammers, but I think it's worth the effort to help keep the amount of spam that everyone sees way down. I started doing that because of complaints about the amount of spam we were getting, and it's been largely successful. Because of that, I know where each new person is coming in from, and we get sign-ups and posts from literally all over the world. If you think we're creating "fake posters", or that I have the time to waste on such foolishness, well, with all due respect, you're just flat-out wrong about that. 

I suspect that many of those old threads are showing up in search engine search results, and people then sign up in order to respond to them, or to ask questions pertaining to them, and that many of them don't even realize they're responding to posts that are in many cases several years old - although I've noticed that some of the new posters do acknowledge that they know that they're responding to a really old thread or post. 

Like you, I sometimes get exasperated when I see someone asking "is your guitar still for sale?" or something similar when it's a seven year old thread that they're replying to... but I have no idea what people are going to want to talk about when they sign up. Unfortunately, our tools do have limits, and reading minds is still beyond our capabilities. 😉 But again, I certainly wouldn't create fake posters and posts - I know those kinds of posts are annoying to many of our members. 

If you want to start what you feel is a relevant thread topic, or respond to an older one, please feel free. I normally don't go digging for old threads, and almost never bump them - feel free to look at my profile and check - I tend to be more interested in, and start new threads, and I only respond to old ones when others bump them and ask a question that I feel I can help answer. However, if you think an old thread is relevant and you want to bump it and continue the discussion, I have no problem with that. 

• Members

Jaded? Well, yes, as a matter of fact I am. I feel stuck in a turnstile with the same geriatric questions and answers competing for renewed relevance. It's like a meme unto itself. That said, I never was interested in the acoustic guitar as a topic of discussion so I suppose I'm off that grid. 

Archived