Tone Control & Apparent Volume

Grant Harding

• Members

I think the main reason that people don't use the tone control is because they don't turn the amp up after dialing it back a bit. Loud sounds better, so rather than getting a fat, creamy tone, you get a warmer but lesser sound unless you get the apparent volume back up. 

Took me many years to truly appreciate this. 

• Members

i think Eddie Van Halen also had a lot to do with the tone control lack of,lots of peeps will have copied him  .Also people who use  fx processors tend to program their sounds with the guitar vol and tone up full.I didn`t use my tone control that much when i used to go out with the band but i wasn`t a very subtle player

• Members

Usually only solos are loud enough for active/effective use of the treble cut on most guitars. Most guitars; that's all it is; treble cut - ironically to make sure the treble cuts, therefore usually dimed.  Active tonal nuance for pop guitar is mostly ineffective; hence wahs and synths and pedals ad infinitum.

• Members
1 hour ago, 1001gear said:

Usually only solos are loud enough for active/effective use of the treble cut on most guitars. Most guitars; that's all it is; treble cut - ironically to make sure the treble cuts, therefore usually dimed.  Active tonal nuance for pop guitar is mostly ineffective; hence wahs and synths and pedals ad infinitum.

Good point - my Steinberger has an active tone control with boost and cut, so I normally set everything up with it in the center then boost or cut as needed.  I never do that with my passive guitars, though.

Archived