Humbucker-sized p90 for jazz

Brendo56

• Members

A question for those with pickup experience: I’m looking to clear up the clean tone on my Sheraton. I’m looking for something articulate and without the compressed top end that seems inescapable with humbuckers. Humbucker-sized P90’s seem like a good fit, but I’m not sure where to start. Any one have any advice on a good low-output HSP90? Thanks!

• Members

A minor thing to think about if you are going from humbuckers to single coils is that typically you'll use 500K pots for the 'buckers and 250K for the singles.   Not sure about P90's, I've only once installed one in a tele (and I used 250K).   I know its kind of a b*tch to change pots in your Sheraton, don't really know if its necessary.   

• Members

Thanks for the advice, all! I’ll post updates on the pickup adjustment this weekend, when I have access to some better tools. 

@Freeman Keller, for the 335 build, do you know if you were using the B6, or the Benedetto PAF? I’m a diehard Strat fan, and I convinced myself that I just don’t like humbuckers. The Sheraton is my first semi-hollow though, and the more time I spend with it, the more appreciate how the buckers work in this context

• Members
1 hour ago, Brendo56 said:

Thanks for the advice, all! I’ll post updates on the pickup adjustment this weekend, when I have access to some better tools. 

@Freeman Keller, for the 335 build, do you know if you were using the B6, or the Benedetto PAF? I’m a diehard Strat fan, and I convinced myself that I just don’t like humbuckers. The Sheraton is my first semi-hollow though, and the more time I spend with it, the more appreciate how the buckers work in this context

I would have to go back and look at my notes but I believe that both guitars got an A6 in the neck and Benedetto PAF in the bridge.   The B6 is designed to sound a little more like a hollow body archtop - as I recall it does not have the adjustable pole pieces.

My friend plays almost exclusively on the neck and our logic was if he ever does go to the bridge he can get a little more bluesy tone with the PAF.    One interesting thing that I did with the 335 clone is install terminal strips in the pick up cavities to make it easy to experiment with pickup - that way I don't have to fish all the electronics out thru the f-holes to make a wiring change.

• Members

Another idea other then a pickup replacement, would be adding a 1meg resistor to your volume pot. (across the in and out tabs on the pot.) What this does is drop the value of the pot from the modern 500K to a vintage Gibson value of 330K or thereabouts. For the neck pickup, this adds a bit a "mud", or darkening the pickup. I have a Samick made Sheraton II made in 98, and I always found the mud of the neck pickup to be part of it's charm.

• Members

@badpenguin, thanks for the tip, I’ll definitely keep it in mind! I’m not sure if it’s the best thing for this instance - I’m mostly looking for more clarity for chords, and “mud” might not be what I’m looking for. Already good to know more about electronics, though!

@Freeman Keller, I actually made a typo, I actually meant to say an A6/PAF combo seems like a good fix

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'll second @Freeman Keller with the Benedetto recommendation. I've heard some really good things about those. I'd love to actually be able to afford a Benedetto guitar one day :) 

Here's a video comparing some stock pickups, the Phat Cat and the Benedetto A6 if you're interested in checking it out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgcdIeyEU8 

Archived