What 1 guitar would you get if you had any choice?

redEL34

• Members

I wasn't giving you sh*t, I was just remembering how much I loathed the 80s while they were happening :lol:

And that isn't really true either, I just hated what was on MTV and Radio. There's lots of 80s music that I loved, some of which I still love- its just almost none of it was popular. And 80s production always turned my stomach, and still does... even the music I love from that era is hard for me to listen to, cause it sounds so awful. Bob Clearmountain has a lot to answer for :lol:

Well, I had to come of age then, so it`s what I had. I came around full circle to where I started with a Fender. Except that one only had 1 neck pickup. Super lame in 1987, super cool now.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
I had a Peavey T-60 that was beyond awesome. Solid oak, smooth maple fret board. That was a really nice guitar. I think they are really expensive on ebay.

Neat guitars, but insanely heavy. I've always found that the lightest guitars are most resonant and usually sound best, and haven't found hardly any exceptions to this. My strat is 6.3 lb and if you hold it by the headstock and rap on the body with your knuckles it rings like a bell.

• Members

Neat guitars, but insanely heavy. I've always found that the lightest guitars are most resonant and usually sound best, and haven't found hardly any exceptions to this.

It was insanely heavy when I was young. The the pickups sucked, but it played excellent.

• Moderators

It was insanely heavy when I was young. The the pickups sucked, but it played excellent.

A friend I used to play with back in the 80s had one, and it was just like you said - it played excellent, but sounded like crap. He put a pair of PAFs into it (wasn't that big a deal back then to find a set) and that made it sound... ok. Was still really muddy and lacked clarity in the mids.

• Members

A friend I used to play with back in the 80s had one, and it was just like you said - it played excellent, but sounded like crap. He put a pair of PAFs into it (wasn't that big a deal back then to find a set) and that made it sound... ok. Was still really muddy and lacked clarity in the mids.

Hey, It DID have a phase switch..:p

• Moderators

Hey, It DID have a phase switch..:p

Yeah, it sure did... Paul Barrere from Little Feat used to play one, AND through a phase shifter on top, waaay too much of the time. You can hear it all over "Waiting For Columbus".

• Members

Despite being born in 1964, I was never "80s enough" for the 80s :lol:

This was my "80s guitar", and my only electric from about 1985 to 1995.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"207553_1035275361928_1737_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=021211ad8a45c883dc59da000bc419e2&oe=5D767CBA.jpg","data-attachmentid":32514477}[/ATTACH]

That Tele is Sexy AF!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

• Members

Yeah, it sure did... Paul Barrere from Little Feat used to play one, AND through a phase shifter on top, waaay too much of the time. You can hear it all over "Waiting For Columbus".

I hear the tinny pickups, but it doesn`t ruin the song, per se.

• Moderators

I hear the tinny pickups, but it doesn`t ruin the song, per se.

All the tunes and the performances on that album are so strong that no amount of cheesy phase-shift (or Bill Payne's annoying Oberheim synth sounds) can ruin them. IMHO, while Lowell George lived, they were the greatest live "rock" band of all, simply peerless.

I love this one to death.

• Members

All the tunes and the performances on that album are so strong that no amount of cheesy phase-shift (or Bill Payne's annoying Oberheim synth sounds) can ruin them. IMHO, they were the greatest live "rock" band of all, simply peerless.

Yeah, how the hell could you NOT like that:lol: No, not me but yes you.

• Members

Strat: Mainly neck pick up, esp for lead. Bridge for sklanks and janks. I only use 2 & 4 positions for dweebs with laptops that care more about buzz than tone, and don’t know how to use a gate. But wtf is position 3, the middle pup only for? Been playing a strat all my life, and still don’t know. Seems like it’s only function is to be the double humbucker for neck and bridge pup.

• Members
Strat: Mainly neck pick up, esp for lead. Bridge for sklanks and janks. I only use 2 & 4 positions for dweebs with laptops that care more about buzz than tone, and don’t know how to use a gate. But wtf is position 3, the middle pup only for? Been playing a strat all my life, and still don’t know. Seems like it’s only function is to be the double humbucker for neck and bridge pup.

Neck is best for lead for sure.

• Moderators

I felt the same about the middle pup till I got my current strat. Its like a seriously phat bridge pup, clear and bright, but with tight, punchy lows, mids forward, but with zero shrillness. Maybe its the 60 years of slow de-magnetization :lol:

• Moderators

Yeah, how the hell could you NOT like that:lol: No, not me but yes you.

Yeah I like it so much that I took part in a Little Feat tribute show JUST so I'd get to play this tune (and a few others I love) :lol:

That's Lowell George's son Luke on the left, in the white overalls... not doin' much of anything :D

[video=youtube;spB-SQ0_IM4]

• Members

All the tunes and the performances on that album are so strong that no amount of cheesy phase-shift (or Bill Payne's annoying Oberheim synth sounds) can ruin them. IMHO, while Lowell George lived, they were the greatest live "rock" band of all, simply peerless.

The Oberheim sounds are GREAT. Your taste in synths is questionable by popular standards. Dave Smith, Korg, and Uli, are all currently spending and doing business in the neo-analog synth market because literally millions of people think AND FEEL the polar opposite of you. Not that there’s anything wrong with your taste. But please don’t casually act like what you’re saying doesn’t basically sound insane.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t4A310C3B-083C-4168-B9A4-EBE50936A92F.jpeg Views:\t1 Size:\t108.6 KB ID:\t32514541","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32514541","data-size":"full","title":"4A310C3B-083C-4168-B9A4-EBE50936A92F.jpeg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Yeah I like it so much that I took part in a Little Feat tribute show JUST so I'd get to play this tune (and a few others I love) :lol:

That's Lowell George's son Luke on the left, in the white overalls... not doin' much of anything :D

[video=youtube;spB-SQ0_IM4]

That`s really good! Too bad they didn`t have a Peavey T 60..:lol:

• Moderators

The Oberheim sounds are GREAT. Your taste in synths is questionable by popular standards. Dave Smith, Korg, and Uli, are all currently spending and doing business in the neo-analog synth market because literally millions of people think AND FEEL the polar opposite of you. Not that there’s anything wrong with your taste. But please don’t casually act like what you’re saying doesn’t basically sound insane.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t4A310C3B-083C-4168-B9A4-EBE50936A92F.jpeg Views:\t1 Size:\t108.6 KB ID:\t32514541","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32514541","data-size":"full","title":"4A310C3B-083C-4168-B9A4-EBE50936A92F.jpeg"}[/ATTACH]

There's nothing wrong with Oberheim... its Bill Payne's use of it that I find annoying.

• Members

[video=youtube;ux8GIu6ucs0]

Sounds like Jabba the Hutt's house band. smiley-wink

[video=youtube_share;k1sF9veTzuU]

• Members

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32514685}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32514683}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32514684}[/ATTACH] This is a pretty dang good guitar. I have refretted it twice now. This is the one with the Vai mixed paint. Been with me a long while now.

I solved that by living on a 30- acre farm. Screw the city - I drive in every day to work, and am happy every time I leave it behind.

I'm on a half acre in a semi-rural area. Just close enough that I can get into the city fairly fast (an hour or two, depending on exactly where I need to go, and the traffic) but away from a lot of the noise, traffic and light pollution. And a half acre lot (with all of the neighbors having similar or larger sized lots) is big enough that it puts me far enough away from the neighbors that the inverse square law works in my favor... I can blast away as much as I want, whenever I want, and not disturb anyone.

With 30 acres, I doubt anyone would hear you, even if you had Deep Purple playing a house party at your place... ;)

I'm definitely interested in the OB clone... any idea when it's going to be shipping, and what they're shooting for on the price?

I WILL get one of their Pro 1's too whenever it's released...

• Members

I'm on a half acre in a semi-rural area. Just close enough that I can get into the city fairly fast (an hour or two, depending on exactly where I need to go, and the traffic) but away from a lot of the noise, traffic and light pollution. And a half acre lot (with all of the neighbors having similar or larger sized lots) is big enough that it puts me far enough away from the neighbors that the inverse square law works in my favor... I can blast away as much as I want, whenever I want, and not disturb anyone.

With 30 acres, I doubt anyone would hear you, even if you had Deep Purple playing a house party at your place... ;)

Well, the neighbors might be able to hear it, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as a dog barking next door in an average subdivision.

In general, I don't worry much about what anyone else thinks - we can do as we like and when we like it. It's not for everyone, as the maintenance isn't minor, but there are a lot of advantages.

Archived