What 1 guitar would you get if you had any choice?

redEL34

• Members
This is a pretty dang good guitar. I have refretted it twice now. This is the one with the Vai mixed paint. Been with me a long while now.

i have a 1985 u.s.a. soloist in corvette yellow with the seymour duncan s/s/h setup and the kahler tremelo, about as perfect a shredder as you can find :)...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have a 1985 u.s.a. soloist in corvette yellow with the seymour duncan s/s/h setup and the kahler tremelo, about as perfect a shredder as you can find :)...

They were turning out great guitars then. I also had them do my control layout like a strat instead of the standard Soloist layout.

• Members

I'm definitely interested in the OB clone... any idea when it's going to be shipping, and what they're shooting for on the price?

I WILL get one of their Pro 1's too whenever it's released...

I haven’t seen anything regarding price.

However, based on their previous releases, I would say it will be in the ‘Bargain’ category.

• Members

Neat guitars, but insanely heavy. I've always found that the lightest guitars are most resonant and usually sound best, and haven't found hardly any exceptions to this. My strat is 6.3 lb and if you hold it by the headstock and rap on the body with your knuckles it rings like a bell.

A while back I was in a Sam Ash in Orlando. I’m one of those guys who sees an ugly guitar and wonders who would ever buy that.

The particular guitar this time was a Brad Paisley sig Telecaster. It weighs 5.6 pounds and has a nice big neck. Even unplugged it’s loud. I bought it immediately.

It’s the nicest playing best sounding single coil guitar I own. Love that ugly thing.

• Members

I'm on a half acre in a semi-rural area. Just close enough that I can get into the city fairly fast (an hour or two, depending on exactly where I need to go, and the traffic) but away from a lot of the noise, traffic and light pollution. And a half acre lot (with all of the neighbors having similar or larger sized lots) is big enough that it puts me far enough away from the neighbors that the inverse square law works in my favor... I can blast away as much as I want, whenever I want, and not disturb anyone.

With 30 acres, I doubt anyone would hear you, even if you had Deep Purple playing a house party at your place... ;)

I live in a condo on Siesta Key, FL. It’s a large complex with a main building and many detached units. For about ten months of the year there are only five units occupied. I can play at four in the morning and have never had a complaint.

• Members

Sounds like a....

wait for it....

...sleepy little town! :badump::lol:

Not during the tourist season. That just ended though so I can actually go to SKOB again.

Siesta Key is an island off of Sarasota, FL.

All Teles are sexy AF.

True. But my '62 Custom Telecaster is quite possibly the sexiest Tele of all... at least IMHO.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32247370&d=1528228691.jpg","data-attachmentid":32515850}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32247371&d=1528228716.jpg","data-attachmentid":32515851}[/ATTACH]

More pics and the story behind it can be found in this thread.

• Members

True. But my '62 Custom Telecaster is quite possibly the sexiest Tele of all... at least IMHO.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=32247370&d=1528228691.jpg Views:\t2 Size:\t89.2 KB ID:\t32515850","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32515850","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32247370&d=1528228691.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=32247371&d=1528228716.jpg Views:\t2 Size:\t69.0 KB ID:\t32515851","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32515851","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32247371&d=1528228716.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

More pics and the story behind it can be found in this thread.

That’s beautiful.

My next guitar will be a ‘62 custom Tele in surf green.

Not during the tourist season. That just ended though so I can actually go to SKOB again.

Siesta Key is an island off of Sarasota, FL.

I know... I'm just yanking your chain a bit. :) I used to live in Merritt Island, and my parents later lived in the Tampa area, so I'm familiar with Siesta Key. We used to sail past it on the way down to do tarpon fishing off of Boca Grande.

• Members

I know... I'm just yanking your chain a bit. :) I used to live in Merritt Island, and my parents later lived in the Tampa area, so I'm familiar with Siesta Key. We used to sail past it on the way down to do tarpon fishing off of Boca Grande.

So much cool stuff in St Pete / Tampa.

Siesta is pretty sleepy.

• Members

Westone Modulus Graphite. So curvy I would make it part three of a 3 in a bed :)

Not expensive either,

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7b6e893e29638b9affb3a2d144b9c990.jpeg?impolicy=img_600.jpg","data-attachmentid":32516186}[/ATTACH]

• Members

The one guitar I would want most would be the one used for my first lessons. I estimate it to be about a 1948 Martin D18. Back then it was just an old guitar that my neighbor had laying around. It was kept in a corner ,behind a chair in his living room. He encouraged us to take it out and play it anytime which we did..To me that defined what an acoustic guitar should sound like, Unfortunately the rest of the world figured that ut as well and the price went through the roof. He died and his widow kept the guitar for a memory. When she died a few years ago, I lost track of the guitar as her two children began fighting over everything..

• Members

I think it would be cool if I settle for a van halen guitar. like axis or wolfgang. Those things are very versatile and in the long run, it's eddie who keeps me playing. but for shred stuff its steve vai. so a Ibanez JEM would be nice too as an only guitar.

• Members

With you on that - those two positions are the iconic strat sound that you can't get from other configurations. Honestly, I find that I'm either using bridge-only HB, neck-only HB, or one of those two in single-coil. I rarely ever use a single-coil by itself, nor do I use mixed HBs. JMO, YMMV, etc.

PRS Custom 24 gets a pretty good "iconic strat sound" and you can play a rather convincing version of "Sultans of Swing" on a three pickup Les Paul Custom.

I must say I was knocked out when Paul successfully combined the Les Paul and the Stratocaster with his Custom 24. It was an idea I had back in the mid '70s but I could never get it to work properly.

• Members

That would be nice to know. How do you wire it?

The common way to do it is to connect the unused tab on the switch to the one beside it. That way the tone pot for the middle pickup also works with the bridge.

In the diagram below connect the unused tab of the switch to the adjacent tab that goes to the tone control...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"630281b5007c4a9ecbaea0a41e5f3093.jpg","data-attachmentid":32516788}[/ATTACH]

I wire my stratss differently with a four pole five position 'superswitch' so that one tone control works on the two outside positions of the switch (bridge pickup only and neck pickup only) and the other works on the three inside positions of the switch.

The superswitch also gives me the possibility of using different pickup combinations - sometimes I wire it so the middle position of the switch gives me the bridge and neck combination or all three pickups at once.

Archived