What 1 guitar would you get if you had any choice?

redEL34

• Members

Incorrect. The neck pickup is where the Strat magic is. And the bridge as well, if you have the right strat and pickup. I can't stand the quacky 2 and 4 positions, and I'm very much a Strat player. Mine has the original 3-position switch still.

You asked what guitar I'd have if I could have any guitar? I have it already.

1959 body/guts, 1966 neck.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Strat.jpg","data-attachmentid":32513526}[/ATTACH]

Absolutely agree that the neck is where the most magic is.

But without position 2 or 4, how the heck would you play “Sultans of Swing”??

Wiring up an option for neck and bridge together provides a good, textured rhythm tone with a different, less funny-sounding phasiness than 2 and 4. I use it a lot when I need something brighter than neck alone.

The plain bridge single coil is good for Hendrixy leads when you’ve got a lot of drive. But I fall over and die and instantly decompose if I try to play Van Halen with it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you get right down to it - I’d choose a good nylon-string classical.

That’s the basic guitar. Every other guitar is an embellishment on that original form.

My wife "gave" (i.e. let me choose) a Yamaha classic with a model number I can't remember because it's so long. Its been my go-to guitar since 2002 when our twentieth anniversary happened. It has a rosewood body and cedar top and a pickup system that includes a little microphone in the body, under the soundhole. I've never been able to dial in that mic without a quick dose of feedback, but I don't play amplified all that much anymore. The peizo in the bridge works fine, though

I am finally starting to love my old Martin 000-18 that I traded for my first electric guitar, a '66 Tele Custom. The Martin has a bit of a shorter scale than most Martins, and it seems pretty good for fingerpicking. It's sooooo light compared to all other acoustic axes I've played. Don't know how they did that.

As far as a new acquisition, I'm considering a carbon fiber guitar like the CA Cargo or a Rainsong. It would be great for hauling around a festival campground. I just can't justify the cost right now.

As long as we're dreaming, why not a 1922 Lloyd Loar Gibson L-5? Or an original 1960 Les Paul Standard? Or maybe a pre-war Martin D28 or D45?

I already have the perfect Strat for me, so I'm good there. :) In fact, my collection is pretty well rounded... although I could still use a decent nylon string.... and a Dobro... and a... ;)

• Members
Travis Bean Wedge. Just because it looks cool. (I'm a drummer)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32513881}[/ATTACH]

I have a really nice Ludwig drum kit in my basement that we left set up after our drummer died. Problem is that it's yuuuge. One of the toms is as big as some bass drums you see now as commonplace. I don't know how big the bass drum is, but it has a double strike thingy that sounds pretty cool. Steve (RIP) could set that whole kit up in a short time, probably faster than some lead vocalists take for sound check.

• Members

I have a really nice Ludwig drum kit in my basement that we left set up after our drummer died. Problem is that it's yuuuge. One of the toms is as big as some bass drums you see now as commonplace. I don't know how big the bass drum is, but it has a double strike thingy that sounds pretty cool. Steve (RIP) could set that whole kit up in a short time, probably faster than some lead vocalists take for sound check.

I have a big-drum Ludwig kit. 26-inch kick, 15" rack, and 18" and 20" floor toms. With a 6.5 x14 Supraphonic snare.

Here's a studio pic when I was using a 16" floor tom for my rack-tom.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32513911}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I already have the guitars I want for the most part.

The most coveted music-related thing you could have where I live is a space where you can keep all your gear and play it as loud as you want, whenever you want. It's something a lot of younger players have never known. The only way I manage it is by renting a dedicated practice space with a bunch of other middle aged dudes. It's the most practical and enjoyable thing I spend money on now, I already have a closet full of guitars.

• Members
I already have the guitars I want for the most part.

The most coveted music-related thing you could have where I live is a space where you can keep all your gear and play it as loud as you want, whenever you want.

I solved that by living on a 30- acre farm. Screw the city - I drive in every day to work, and am happy every time I leave it behind.

• Moderators

Absolutely agree that the neck is where the most magic is.

But without position 2 or 4, how the heck would you play “Sultans of Swing”??

I wouldn't.

The plain bridge single coil is good for Hendrixy leads when you’ve got a lot of drive. But I fall over and die and instantly decompose if I try to play Van Halen with it.

Again, I wouldn't.

My strat actually doesn't sound particularly Hendrix-y, as strats go. If I had to compare it to an "iconic strat player", its very Rory Gallagher sounding. Meaning its less scooped than most strats and has some mid-range complexity to it. But I don't play anything like Rory.

• Members

I wouldn't.

Again, I wouldn't.

My strat actually doesn't sound particularly Hendrix-y, as strats go. If I had to compare it to an "iconic strat player", its very Rory Gallagher sounding. Meaning its less scooped than most strats and has some mid-range complexity to it. But I don't play anything like Rory.

To be fair, nobody does. :)

• Members

Incorrect. The neck pickup is where the Strat magic is. And the bridge as well, if you have the right strat and pickup. I can't stand the quacky 2 and 4 positions, and I'm very much a Strat player. Mine has the original 3-position switch still.

You asked what guitar I'd have if I could have any guitar? I have it already.

1959 body/guts, 1966 neck.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Strat.jpg","data-attachmentid":32513526}[/ATTACH]

Well, my first guitar was a Fender Musicmaster. Only one choice there. Dang, I wish I hadn`t sold that. It was the 80`s, I was a kid, and it wasn`t "80`s enough".

• Moderators

Well, my first guitar was a Fender Musicmaster. Only one choice there. Dang, I wish I hadn`t sold that. It was the 80`s, I was a kid, and it wasn`t "80`s enough".

Despite being born in 1964, I was never "80s enough" for the 80s :lol:

This was my "80s guitar", and my only electric from about 1985 to 1995.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"207553_1035275361928_1737_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=021211ad8a45c883dc59da000bc419e2&oe=5D767CBA.jpg","data-attachmentid":32514477}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Despite being born in 1964, I was never "80s enough" for the 80s :lol:

This was my "80s guitar", and my only electric from about 1985 to 1995.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"207553_1035275361928_1737_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=021211ad8a45c883dc59da000bc419e2&oe=5D767CBA.jpg","data-attachmentid":32514477}[/ATTACH]

I was influenced by what was popular, I was maybe 12. My decisions were based on pure play-ability of what was popular at the time..You have to give me a break here:lol:.

• Members
I pretty much live on the bridge pickup regardless of what type of guitar I'm playing...I always modify my strats so the tone control works on the bridge pickup.

That would be nice to know. How do you wire it?

• Moderators

I was influenced by what was popular, I was maybe 12. My decisions were based on pure play-ability of what was popular at the time..You have to give me a break here:lol:.

I wasn't giving you sh*t, I was just remembering how much I loathed the 80s while they were happening :lol:

And that isn't really true either, I just hated what was on MTV and Radio. There's lots of 80s music that I loved, some of which I still love- its just almost none of it was popular. And 80s production always turned my stomach, and still does... even the music I love from that era is hard for me to listen to, cause it sounds so awful. Bob Clearmountain has a lot to answer for :lol:

• Members

That would be nice to know. How do you wire it?

I haven't done one in over 10 years...it's just a wire jumper between two lugs on the toggle switch...just can't remember which two.

• Members

I haven't done one in over 10 years...it's just a wire jumper between two lugs on the toggle switch...just can't remember which two.

Thanks, that`s not really hard to figure out. Long overdue feature.

Archived