Indonesia Tele Cracked headstock

Chordite

• Members

This is up at the local auction. Made in Indonesia Tele. A cracked headstock Clean break Strapped tight but it doesn't look glued.

Should I go for it and if so what sort of price. Pics best I could do at a crowded preview.

fetch?filedataid=125537

fetch?filedataid=125539

fetch?filedataid=125540

• Members

I'd have to really inspect it in person and the price would have to be really low for me to take the risk. Low enough where I could buy a new neck for it if need be and still come out ahead.

The issue will be spreading the crack enough to get glue in there and getting the wood to mesh back together when clamping. Without seeing it in person and perhaps cutting off the tie wraps to get a better look at the break it's really hard to say.

• Members

I can't see what the crack does as it approaches the nut - it looks like it runs off the head plate about where the CE mark is on the first picture. If it is a clean break and completely separated it would be a very easy fix, assuming that the PO has not tried to glue it. If its merely split and still connected it might be easy to work some HHG into the crack and clamp it - again, it should be strong enough since there is no real tension on the break. I might be tempted to plane the back down 10 or 20 thou and put a back strap on it You could also drill in from the bass side of the headstock between a couple of tuner holes and put a dowel or two in there to reinforce the break. However good wood glue on clean wood should be plenty strong.

Obviously you can buy a replacement neck for a little more than a hundred bucks (or less), but I've been pretty unimpressed by the fretwork on the ones I've seen.

That's the kind of thing I like to pick up for fifty bucks, fix the headstock, do a really good setup and donate to some starting musician who can't afford an axe.

• Members

Thanks for the advice everyone

One written bid started at £65 ($85) Since the auctioneer will start well below the written bid it would have gone easily to $100- 120 so I let it go.

Picked up a decent sounding Peavey Rage 185 practice amp for £12, another a PGI practice amp also, out of curiosity, a little new Encore strat copy made in India for £14 (its got a nice enough neck but the pups are weak as kittens, a nephew will be getting a present :)

OT alert!

Also a box of vintage cameras, mostly minolta SLRs and telephotos but also this clean little bellows Agfa Isolette, apparently never used, going straight on the display shelf

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32016763[/ATTACH]

Archived