Have you ever quit playing? How long?

Minitruth

• Members

Never really quit but from time to time playing has been on the back burner. Even now I can't spend the time I would like because of other projects I'm involved in.. By fall I should be finished with the projects and may take early retirement next spring so maybe that will open up more time.

• Members
Got your basic "unplayable starter acoustic" back around '66 or '67 when I was around 10 or so. Couldn't even figure out how to keep it tuned. . . .

. . . I drive my wife crazy by watching TV and playing guitar at the same time. I can't seem to sit still and just watch TV anymore unless I'm "multi-tasking" with a guitar in my lap. . . .

I also did the "unplayable starter acoustic" thing around 1970 or so. I'm a late convert to electric but I do find myself with a beater acoustic in my lap while the TV is on and I'm by myself. Not when my wife is in the room because she complains about an acoustic being played softly with fingers only as "noise."

• Members

I had to quit while on port and starboard watch during Desert Shield and Desert Storm. 6 hours watch, 6 hours work, 6 hours watch, 6 hours to sleep, shower, shave, eat, and get back to it. I had an acoustic with me whenever I went underway, and when we pulled into foreign ports, I would busk for $$ so I didn't have to do a lot of currency exchange. Sometimes, I could find a place that let me play for tips, food and drink. Desert Shield/Desert Storm didn't exactly present ports (I think we had one liberty port) where Western music was appreciated. I don't think downtown Bahrain would give me the kinds of tips I wanted.

• Members

I've been playing guitar every day since 1968.

The only days I didn't play were when I was too ill to play or recuperating from marathon gigs/sessions.

The only extended time I couldn't play was when I broke my left hand in a car accident and had it in a cast.

Even then I did a gig playing slide with a cast on. Even when I was totally broke and gearless I had a friend loan

me a beat up acoustic which I could play.

My wife even jokes to her friends about how I fall asleep in the recliner playing guitar.

• Members

Twice .From 69 thru 82 and about 84 untill 2007 .I just had more important things to bother with .The usually house,wife ,and daughters ,one ill with CF and it just didnt seem important .it never left me though .i didn still have my Harmony Sovereign I used to drag round folk clubs though it was worn out and no strings .

• Members

Approaching the end of a 7 year break right now, however I did play a bit of classical in that time though. Moving forward I think I'll do away with a pick where possible.

Looking to get a Yamaha THR5 to get back into it!

• Members

I picked up the guitar when I was 15. Traded some Magic the Gathering cards for a Peavey Patriot and a Fender Super Reverb. The internet wasn't what it is today, mostly dial-up and Billboards, so I had to save my allowance and buy tab books from the local music store. Fast forward a few years, and both the guitar and amp were stolen. I went about a year without a guitar, I had layed away a Really! Nice Hamer, but lost my job and the guitar. I wound up flipping something for a Kingston Strat copy, POS! But it was a guitar, and it played. Then I got married, quit playing for about 3 years, until a guy I worked with asked if I played, said he was looking for people to jam with. I broke out the Kingston and gave it a go. After two weekends, I broke down and bought a Samick Strat and a Randall Half Stack. That was 15 years ago, and I have only stopped for the occasional injury or illness, and really can't see myself stopping again.

• Members

I played for 25 years,then got fed up all of a sudden,gave my Gibson 1974 les paul custom to my son,swapped my marshall jcm 800 and 300 watt 4x12 cab for a complete {censored}ty camera ,did all this in 1992.

Picked up the guitar again,jam with some old friends at home,got another gibson les paul studio with p90 pickups,picked up some old amp,s ,none are valve amp,s that i do miss playing through,but alas i am retired and there ain,t much money around.

So please don,t get fed up and give your gear away ?

• Members

I stopped playing for about a year, and posted about it recently. Before quitting, I had a weekly gig at a local bar playing acoustic covers and singing. My wife was pregnant, and in the third trimester, and after my son was born, I had no time to play. My regular gig faded, too, so I had nothing I had to practice for.

I recently started playing again, or trying to. I have lost a lot. I am trying to get my hand strength back, and my improvisational skill is so rusty it's sad. I haven't played in a band in a few years, so that part of my playing is gone.

At my stage in life, I have little interest in playing original music, when that was my main drive throughout most of my playing years. I would like to play in a cover band, but not necessarily on guitar. Drums or bass would be fun, too, and my drumming skills have oddly not faded as much as my guitar skills.

• Members

Yeah, definitely. My son responds to music (especially certain songs), and a few are magic. When he was an infant, and he was fussing, putting on Pink Floyd (DSotM mostly) would instantly snap him out of it, and he'd smile and go oooh. Now, he digs Boston and Van Halen more, but still responds to Floyd. He likes electric guitar sounds, especially solos and melodies. He likes when I strum the acoustic, too.

Archived