Want to get a snake. What power amps should I get for my setup?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Getting back to the OP's proposition of having the two (powered) boards out front and running everything back to the stage via the snake... forgive me if I'm wrong but, isn't it BAAAAD to be running powered signals back through the snake to the cabs?? I always thought that was a big no-no. :eek:

Stix

• Members

Never noticed a lag with the X2 wireless.

he doesnt mean the wireless lag. he means the delay between you and the FOH speakers. if you play to what you hear at the mixer you will be off timing wise by the milliseconds you are away from the stacks.

we had this problem in high school marching band; the director had a wireless mic and would stand up on top of the bleachers and yell at us through it to the receiver down on the sideline. he would try and yell the beat while we were marching but since he was 285' away the timing was awful and we would have to stop and tell him he was off. he insisted we were off.

yeah its funny now. a laugh riot.

• Members

Getting back to the OP's proposition of having the two (powered) boards out front and running everything back to the stage via the snake... forgive me if I'm wrong but, isn't it BAAAAD to be running powered signals back through the snake to the cabs?? I always thought that was a big no-no.
:eek:

They make special snakes with speaker wires in them just for use with powered mixers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380363183895

BTW looking at that and its weight I seriously doubt it has 12 gauge speaker wires as advertised :facepalm: .

• Members

Getting back to the OP's proposition of having the two (powered) boards out front and running everything back to the stage via the snake... forgive me if I'm wrong but, isn't it BAAAAD to be running powered signals back through the snake to the cabs?? I always thought that was a big no-no.
:eek:

Stix

Yes, they are both powered boards, but I currently only use the power amp from one of them and only for monitors. If I were to purchase a snake, I would not use the power from either board. I would instead plug into a monitor amp onstage. Hence, the question about power amps + snake in the topic.

Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I'm thinking I will hold off on the snake for now until I actually get a large enough passive mixer. I'll probably just buy a power amp for monitors for now, then take it from there.

• Members

OP: right now it's a jumbled mess. I really wouldn't hesistate on buying a decent 16-24ch mixer, matching amps, snake etc. First determine the needs of the band: how many channels do you need? 12? 16? how many monitor mixes? 2? 3? 4? Effects built in or external? Be honest about your answers too, shortcutting the band will only lead you down the road you're already on.

Putting the board out front is an invite to drunks. Keep the board on stage, I prefer it to my right so I can make adjustments easier while playing. If the budget is there I hire a tech and they're either side stage or out front. Either way having a tech makes life easier.

• Members

The time delay is of course due to the speed of sound and although it's distracting as hell, you can at least do a sound check to balance the FOH mix.

When I'm performing I almost always do most of the sound check along with my sound man, standing behind the board, after first getting the stage mixes dialed in.

As for snakes, I'm looking forward to when digital snakes compatable with analog boards and amps, come down in price.

Running 100~200' of Ethernet cable beats the heck out of running a 32 X 10 X 100' snake.

• Members

??? I thought you said the amps in your powered mixer were working fine for this.

He wants to put his powered mixer in a FOH position and use only the mixer part because he doesn't want to run a long speaker cable along with the snake.

Now that I think about it, rather than daisy-chaining two powered mixers and not using the power and buying another power amp for monitors, a better "one eye on the future" option might be to buy a proper FOH mixer and keep the powered mixers on stage and only use them as power amps?

• Members

He wants to put his powered mixer in a FOH position and use only the mixer part because he doesn't want to run a long speaker cable along with the snake.

Yes, but he said he's abandoning that thought for now. If he's abandoning the thought, why bother with replacing a working amp that's already on stage with another?

• Members

OP: right now it's a jumbled mess. I really wouldn't hesistate on buying a decent 16-24ch mixer, matching amps, snake etc. First determine the needs of the band: how many channels do you need? 12? 16? how many monitor mixes? 2? 3? 4? Effects built in or external? Be honest about your answers too, shortcutting the band will only lead you down the road you're already on.

We fill up 16 channels (4 vocals, 2 guitars, bass guitar, keyboard, 6 drum mics, stereo mp3 player), so I'm looking at more like 20-24 for some future leeway. We need three monitor mixes (curiously, drummer doesn't want a monitor). Effects are currently built-in and work okay. Would like a Lexicon as an external processor.

Putting the board out front is an invite to drunks
. Keep the board on stage, I prefer it to my right so I can make adjustments easier while playing. If the budget is there I hire a tech and they're either side stage or out front. Either way having a tech makes life easier.

I have seen that before (like guido61 implied), so I understand what you mean. I suppose a snake and soundman/soundwoman would go hand-in-hand.

• Members

What a cluster-f*ck.

You work with what you have when money is tight. The bassist/vocalist had a 12 channel powered mixer, I already had an 8/12 channel powered mixer too. Would I like a MixWiz 3? Absolutely. Yet, no one in the band has $1000 to buy one yet.

It's on the list of stuff to get in the near future. And if not that, perhaps a Yamaha MG206C for more channel freedom.

Archived