Want to get a snake. What power amps should I get for my setup?

• Members

Here's a suggestion, Tim. If your wife is interested, teach her how to run the board and have her run your sound for you.

Thanks, DBR. We did that with a wedding gig back in June (used the original bass player's PA system; he had a snake). She enjoyed it and would like to do more.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He wants to put his powered mixer in a FOH position and use only the mixer part because he doesn't want to run a long speaker cable along with the snake.

Now that I think about it, rather than daisy-chaining two powered mixers and not using the power and buying another power amp for monitors, a better "one eye on the future" option might be to buy a proper FOH mixer and keep the powered mixers on stage and only use them as power amps?

That's not a bad idea, other than the fact that we would really only need one powered mixer for monitors. I already have a QSC GX-3 for the mains and subs.

• Members

That's not a bad idea, other than the fact that we would really only need one powered mixer for monitors. I already have a QSC GX-3 for the mains and subs.

Yeah, but it makes no sense to not use the amp in the powered mixer and buy ANOTHER amp if you don't have to. And using the powered mixer for monitors would give you the option of being able to do the monitor mix from stage rather than from FOH. In the same manner you don't want to go back and forth between hearing the FOH mix and tweaking a knob if the mixer is on stage, you also probably don't want to have to run 50 feet just to turn something up/down in the monitors.

The $300 you were going to spend on another GX-3 plus whatever you can get for one of your powered mixers would go a long ways toward the 24-channel mixer you want.

• Members

Do you really need 3 monitor mixes, or will 2 mixes suffice? The PV20 is a pretty decent 2 mon mix board for $500 brand new.

Yeah, the prices start to go up quite a bit when you start looking at 4 AUX boards. You can still find the Yamaha 24/14fx for $899 online. Otherwise you have to look at something used or something Behringer.

• Members

Well I guess that gives us an idea of the quality of gear you play through.
:facepalm:

You can see the gear we use at the beginning of the thread. Or do you make a habit of chiming into threads uninformed? :rolleyes:

The Yamaha stuff works fine for the current environments we are playing in. Compared to a lot of bands that played in the clubs we play, we have consistently gotten positive comments for our mix and the sound quality. Is there better stuff out there? Duh. Can we afford it right now? No. Will this stuff work for what we are doing and still sound pretty damn good?

Yes.

• Members

Yeah, but it makes no sense to not use the amp in the powered mixer and buy ANOTHER amp if you don't have to. And using the powered mixer for monitors would give you the option of being able to do the monitor mix from stage rather than from FOH. In the same manner you don't want to go back and forth between hearing the FOH mix and tweaking a knob if the mixer is on stage, you also probably don't want to have to run 50 feet just to turn something up/down in the monitors.

The $300 you were going to spend on another GX-3 plus whatever you can get for one of your powered mixers would go a long ways toward the 24-channel mixer you want.

This makes sense to me. I'll probably just save up for the larger mixer, then build on from there.

• Members

Do you really need 3 monitor mixes, or will 2 mixes suffice? The PV20 is a pretty decent 2 mon mix board for $500 brand new.

2 would be fine. There are only really two primary singers, the bassist/vocalist and myself. The other guitarist only sings lead on 3-4 songs and he could probably share a mix with me.

• Members

Do you really need six drum channels? Probably not unless it's an e-drum kit. For the kind of rig you are using the rooms have to be small enough that you should be able to make 16 channels work fine for 95% of your gigs. 24 channel boards take up more real estate, are harder to rackup and cost more money. In your situation I'd rather look for a used Mix Wiz and dump the powered mixers for another monitor amp. (Carvin has a 4 channel amp that isn't too spendy) A used mixer and an amp should cost you not much more than $1000, which means you have to come up with $600+ out of pocket and throw in the $400 from selling the two powered mixers.

Save buying a long snake for when you have a dedicated sound tech and gigs that pay well enough to warrent one. I don't have that big a problem mixing side stage, and wind up having to do it at plenty of our gigs. Maybe your wife could learn to do it too, which would save money on the snake and real sound tech for now.

PS. Everything you do now would fit on a Mix Wiz with one channel left over.

• Members

24 channel boards take up more real estate, are harder to rackup and cost more money.

+1 on that. A 24-channel mixer is unavoidable for my situation, but hardly a gig goes by I don't long for the days I still do it on a 16-channel mixer I could fit in a 19" rack. They are too big for "from the stage" mixing 90% of the time and even finding a space for a proper soundman is a PITA most of the time. Don't go bigger unless/until you absolutely HAVE to.

• Members

No, it won't.
:rolleyes:
Maybe someday you will own a decent PA but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe you should move 300 miles west where anyone who can pass a piss test can make good money working on the oil patch. Then you could actually buy something decent. Just a thought.
:wave:

Wow. Just...wow.

• Members

No, it won't.
:rolleyes:
Maybe someday you will own a decent PA but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe you should move 300 miles west where anyone who can pass a piss test can make good money working on the oil patch. Then you could actually buy something decent. Just a thought.
:wave:

Maybe somebody should think back to what their grandmother taught them about having something nice to say...... Just a thought.

• Members

I deleted my post. I would like to apologize to the OP for my post since I don't know him or his circumstances.

Apology accepted. I'm glad people quoted it so I could actually see it first.

There is no reason to get nasty on here about anything I said about my PA equipment. The four people in my band are fine with the way things are. We are doing the best we can with what we got (for now). We are striving to better things. We are NOT one of those bands that has the same {censored} PA from the early 80s, limping along with ragged voices and playing songs nobody cares about anymore.

We are quickly becoming one of the best bar bands around and eventually, just one of the best BANDS around. This is a transitional phase and we have to start somewhere. None of us wants to go severely into debt just to get better equipment and look more professional, especially not in this economy. That could be a very bad move. But I'm betting we will be in a much better place in a year or two, possibly sooner.

• Members

Do you really need six drum channels? Probably not unless it's an e-drum kit.

I agree. It's the drummer who wants to plug in all of his mics. I suggested that he buy himself a Yamaha MG124CX to use as a submixer, but I don't think he was too interested in doing that. :D We usually don't plug in all of his mics. We usually just plug in the kick and sometimes the snare. For the larger bar we played a couple of weeks back, he wanted to have them all plugged in. It sounded pretty good, but it did complicate things.

For last night's gig, we used my 8/12 channel powered mixer and my 9 channel (3 mono/3 stereo) submixer. We left the other 12 channel powered mixer at home. We plugged in 3 vocal mics, kick drum, bass guitar, and both guitars into the first 7 channels, then the drummer's vocal mic, keyboard and mp3 player into the submixer. The bar was small enough where it worked out just fine.

For the kind of rig you are using the rooms have to be small enough that you should be able to make 16 channels work fine for 95% of your gigs. 24 channel boards take up more real estate, are harder to rackup and cost more money. In your situation I'd rather look for a used Mix Wiz and dump the powered mixers for another monitor amp. (Carvin has a 4 channel amp that isn't too spendy) A used mixer and an amp should cost you not much more than $1000, which means you have to come up with $600+ out of pocket and throw in the $400 from selling the two powered mixers.

You think more like I do. I prefer to have stuff that can be broken down, set up and stored easily, quickly and efficiently, rather than going the 'bigger is better' route of bulky speakers that require a trailer and storage space. I agree that 16 channels should be enough to work with, as long as people are willing to compromise a bit (i.e. drummer's mics). The 4-channel Carvin amp for monitors sounds like a really good idea. I'd rather have just one monitor amp instead of two 2-channel amps. Less weight and less things to think about.

• Members

OK, 1st off, mic all the drums you need to mic. 2nd, use ONE mixer. Enough with the submixer crap! There is nothing to be gained by using a submixer here! really, what possibly could be the advantage? Cost? yeah, 2 small ones do cost less. But the PITA factor goes up considerably. 1 board and get over it.

Archived