Poppy, Sound IS the thing

Neal

• Members

But it better have good playability as well, so I've attached a video

for your listening pleasure. I am assured that the playability of this guitar

is excellent, and the sound is as well, at least inmo. Please feel free to discuss

the sound or the look of this wonderful example of an acoustic guitar.

[video=youtube_share;qknpKbq0ELI]

• Members

Neal, that actually is an interesting statement. I do agree that sound IS the thing, but what sound? Is it Paul Geremia playing that big old Stella, or Django playing his Selmer? Is it a Lester Flatt G run on a prewar D-18 or Eric Skye playing a diminished jazz chord on his Santa Cruz? Jerry Douglas's dobro or Ben Harper's Weissenborn?

To my old ears they all sound wonderful, but very different. So, what is THE sound?

• Members

Hey Keller, it IS an interesting statement thankyouverymuch. One I attempted to answer in Poppy's original:

"I like a sexy guitar as well. Some like 'em fat, some like 'em slim, some like 'em old, young, some like scars. Some like a high voice, low voice, scratchy voice. They all sexy to someone.

And we can all agree they better feel good in your arms"

In other words, and I know you'll agree, there is no universal "the" sound. Only sound.

One may argue an old ladder brace birch guitar is best for old blues, or the Stella/Schmidt 12 string has "the" sound, but anyone who thinks they know the universal truth, doesn't.

• Members
So' date=' what is THE sound? [/quote']

Good question! In the first thread I was thinking that for most musical styles intonation would trump tone-quality. But as Neal's example shows, not all styles need to be perfectly in tune.

For any guitar I'd be interested in though, intonation would be more key than tone or action.

Neal, that actually is an interesting statement. I do agree that sound IS the thing, but what sound? Is it Paul Geremia playing that big old Stella, or Django playing his Selmer? Is it a Lester Flatt G run on a prewar D-18 or Eric Skye playing a diminished jazz chord on his Santa Cruz? Jerry Douglas's dobro or Ben Harper's Weissenborn?

To my old ears they all sound wonderful, but very different. So, what is THE sound?

There is no one, single "Sound" - there are many cool, useful and musically viable sounds. At least IMHO.

• Members

I'm doing well, thanks Gareth. We're having an unusually snowy year and I"m loving it. Still need to play more! I'm eyeing an interesting Sobell OM at the local gear shoppe. Played it a good hour last week. It's a lovely, big-sounding handful of an instrument that's clouding my better judgment. ;)

Archived