Strat wiring

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

You could simply connect the tone pots to the same lugs of the switch as their respective pickups.

I use 4P5T pickup selector switches in my strats which allows any possible configuration. I use one tone control for the two outside positions of the switch (1,5) and the other tone control for the there middle positions (2,3,4).

One of my strats is setup to have all three pickups on in the centre position.

• Members

Everyone seems to have the right idea here and definitely knows more about this than I do, but my suggestion would be to go with a master tone control. I did consider looking at Les Paul wiring, but the switch would be no good for a Strat and I wouldn't know how to substitute it.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. For a friend/customer, I would listen to everyone else. I wouldn't want to ruin the aesthetic nor defy the customer's specifications

• Members

I've never seen the point in having one of the PUs without a tone control. What do you gain?

When I owned a strat I wired it so the second tone knob worked for the middle and the bridge (just soldered a small piece of wire to connect the switch lugs).

PS. I sold the strat and bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112 instead :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived