I've said it before and I'll say it again...

gardo

• Members

Actually, many Telecasters have 7.25" neck radius, so a ToM designed for a 12" radius is going to be even more out of whack.

I like my guitar action to be higher than a lot of people prefer, but not silly-high. On Fenders, I generally ask for "stock from the Fender factory" action height - which IIRC is 4/64" at the 12th fret for the high E string, and 5/64" at the same place on the low E; the specs for the newer, flatter profile necks (9.5" and 12" radius) is 4/64" on both E strings.

My friend Dennis (who is a Custom Shop Master Builder) can do amazing setups - the best post-factory setups I've ever seen (and I've had guitars set up by Carruthers and Soest, among others) and he can get the strings amazingly low without any buzzing or fretting out... and whenever he sets up one of my guitars and hands it to me and asks what I think, I usually have to ask him to nudge it a bit higher, and he laughs... :lol: But if it's too low, I have problems with bending strings, and I absolutely hate the sound of buzzing strings or notes fretting out.

You'd grab my guitar and think the action was just right I reckon.

• Members

I'm not sure about that, nuts are flat and longer than any fret and I've never had that issue with a nut.

They are NOT flat. They angle very slightly downward as the string makes it's way to the tuners. File a nut slot parallel with the strings and I guarantee you will get odd buzzing sounds.

• Members

^ What Ratae said. Action is just another matter of preference, as everyone knows. I think what Gardo is getting at is that a lot of stores (and players to an extent) seem to believe universally that the lower the action, the better the guitar. Or at least the better said guitar plays and therefore sells. We all know this isn't true, and there is such a thing as too low. There's obviously too low where frets might interfere or deaden notes altogether, and subtly too low where you find you can't grip the strings for bends. It's extremely embarrassing when that bend comes up in a solo and you duff it because the string has slipped from your fingertip, making an incredibly obvious sound that hangs in the air while everyone stares at you and you have nightmares about it, their eyes still full of silent contempt trained on you as you sleep and you wake up in a cold sweat unable to breathe as your guitar quietly mocks you from across the room...

Oh, yeah. Ahem. A slightly higher action can be very beneficial to your tone as well as your ability. I found that I could play cleaner with better note separation, as well as nailing bends and harmonics. I swear I had more to say on the matter, but now I must go and turn my guitar to face the wall, curl into the foetal position and have a little cry.

• Members
I was at a music store a few days ago trying out Telecasters They were set up the way most people seem to like them but I hated it. If you want to hear what your guitar can really sound like, raise the action as far as is practical . It's amazing how much it frees the string movement up and lets the wood sing .The cleaner you play the more noticeable the difference.

I fundamentally agree with what you're saying (more importantly, the ghost of SRV also agrees with you) but I could never make that trade off. High action just tires my hands out too quickly and has a negative impact on my ability to impart my nuances/slurs in my playing.

I sometimes wonder about my hands. In "me yute" I spent 2.5 years working at a lumber mill pulling large dimension lumber into stacks as they came out of the production line, so I know I've had strong hands, but maybe it also wore them out a bit. I only know I don't like hand cramps.

Archived