Could someone recommend an Amp Attenuator?

KevinTJH

• Members

I'd probably look more into the Micro Terror line, with the switchable 1watt for apartment life man. Not Guitar friendly (I know, I was once evicted over Noise complaints, and I did everything but play unplugged. I was working graveyard at the time, and don't think the Drag piped Harley helped, but...) 5 tube watts is going to translate into 10-15 SS watts, and that's Loud! for a small room. My recommendation - ISO box, or Micro Terror for the apartment - rent a storage unit for serious cranking.

• Members

Should I go Micro Terror or Micro Dark? I'll be mainly using it for metal and chunky chuggs.

Is the matching 1x18 cabinet for it any good?

But just to re-confirm, when compared at the same volume with a Shure SM57, you guys think a

-micro tube amp stack like the Orange ($500)

would sound better than a

-($400+) attenuator + a Mesa Single Rectifier + 4x12 V30 speakers?

• Members

Ive never tried the Dark, but want one for bedroom practice. I'd hit the Dark, metal here also. I don't use dist. pedals, I prefer a high gain amps natural gain in conjunction with my EMGs and a Sonic Stomp to even out the waves.

What's really cool about them is they'll power anything 8-16 ohm, so you could run your 4x12 with it, at some point, when the neighbors aren't home.

I don't know about oranges 1x8, but I do have a Marshall 1x8, and its fine for what it's intended for, small room practice, warmups, and non-acoustic drummer rehearsals. That's really about it, bottom end is fine at low - medium volume, but nothing like a 12. I've been thinking of upgrading to the micro dark and an Orange 8, instead of the MG I'm currently using. Plus, there's a Ton of different 12ax7 tubes out there, and you could change your tone for $15. I'm not sure what comes in an Orange, but I reckon a LPS Sovtek would sound killer in one.

As far as 'better' no not necessarily, but more of a practical kind of thing. I Hate playing with headphones, or through monitors out of an interface. That's what you'd get with the ISO box,, constant headphone use, and compressed sound through a monitor. Granted for recording purpose Only, that would probably be the best solution. Attenuator suck not only juice but tone as well, as mentioned. You're metal, and anything this side of brutal doesn't rely on power amp tubes for tone, they actually begin to work against us as they hit true overdrive, mud. You can crank the pre and use the power amp level to adjust volume on your Mesa head, pair it with a smaller cab, and maybe be alright for low volume practice, and ISO box or direct line record, depending on the importance of the v30 actually being heard in the recording vs the head.

DIY ISO box - http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm

• Members
Should I go Micro Terror or Micro Dark? I'll be mainly using it for metal and chunky chuggs. . . .

. . . Is the matching 1x18 cabinet for it any good?. . .

The Dark is probably a better choice. Bear in mind that neither is a full tube amp, both are hybrid amps with a tube pre- and SS power amp. As for the cab, I assume you mean 1X8. If it were my money, I'd look at the 1X12 version of the cab if you can afford it: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Orange112. You'll get a fuller response than the 8" speaker and smaller cab can provide.

• Members

There's one on Reverb for $349. I believe you would fare better tone wise with the Dark Terror or Micro DT over the Blackstar. If you're happy with the Single Rec, ISO cab may be a better suit. Do you have a GC or local Orange Dealer you could try one out at? A lot of places have rooms for trying out amps. You could really see just how loud it is, and if it's for you.

• Members

I live in Sydney, Australia so unfortunately GuitarCentre doesn't exist here. But I am dropping by an Orange dealer music store tomorrow, I will possibly fork out a little extra and get either the Dark Terror or the Jim Root Signature Terror and a 1x12 Orange Cab. I've been watching a lot of videos about them and I really like how they sound.

• Members

Guitar Center is owned by Musicians Friend. Both have on line websites and you can purchase from either. The Used gear Guitar Center offers may or my not be sold on line. The cost of shipping to Australia or currency exchange may be inhibitive, You'd have to check. MF does have good customer support. I've had to send something back and it went quite smoothly.

• Members

Certain Eminence speaker models are available with the FDM option (Flux Density Modulation), which performs the attenuation function without an outboard add-on device. You simply turn the giant knob mounted on the back of the speaker magnet to the desired attenuation level.

Obviously, this will work great with an open back cabinet or combo amp and not so much with a closed back cabinet.

http://www.eminence.com/eminence-put...n-guitar-tone/

Maverick-large.jpg

edge-012a4b77821c3fddfe5a5ff8cf816a50.jpg

• Members
Should I go Micro Terror or Micro Dark? I'll be mainly using it for metal and chunky chuggs.

Is the matching 1x18 cabinet for it any good?

But just to re-confirm, when compared at the same volume with a Shure SM57, you guys think a

-micro tube amp stack like the Orange ($500)

would sound better than a

-($400+) attenuator + a Mesa Single Rectifier + 4x12 V30 speakers?

[ EDIT: Damn, I didn't see your amp purchase post before replying. Congrats! You bought a kickass amp & head. Think about swapping out the far left 12AX7 for a 5751. And also the far right (Power Inverter/PI spot) for a Sovtek 12AX7LPS tube, depending on whether you're looking for more vintage tones ]

As the owner of a Micro Terror, Micro Dark and Tiny Terror, go for the Micro Dark because of the effects loop. These amps are tremendous bedroom/office pieces of equipment, with a lot of variation of tap particularly if you replace the stock JJ tubes. One minute spent replacing the stock 12AX7 preamp tubes with a quality 12AU7, 5751 (my favorite) or 12 AY7/AT7 can really change the natural sag/saturation/sponginess of the sound. As an analogy, dropping a 5751 tube into the Micro Dark took it from Korn-level to Bad Co-level types of gain. More complex tones that made the amp knobs more useful.

I love my Tiny Terror so much, but the thought of an effects loops makes me want to try out a Dark Terror.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the help, guys! Could not have made a decision without all the advice here.

[ EDIT: One minute spent replacing the stock 12AX7 preamp tubes with a quality 12AU7, 5751 (my favorite) or 12 AY7/AT7 can really change the natural sag/saturation/sponginess of the sound. As an analogy, dropping a 5751 tube into the Micro Dark took it from Korn-level to Bad Co-level types of gain. More complex tones that made the amp knobs more useful.

I love my Tiny Terror so much, but the thought of an effects loops makes me want to try out a Dark Terror.

I don't know much about tubes, but only from reading, I've learnt that the 5751 reduces gain? I'm not too sure if that's really the route I want to take because I'm using this amp mostly for high gain chugging at very low volume. Apart from that, what would you define as "high quality" seeing as they can range from $13.95 - $149.95.

https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/preamp-tubes/5751

• Members

Sovtek WAs, Tung-Sol, or Ruby 12ax7s for high gain crunch. Sovtek LPS in V1

Ruby's or JJs for the el84s.

But if you're happy with the stock tubes, they should last several years with no trouble. I have thw same set of 6l6s in my 6505 it came with stock, 6 or 7 years ago, and I do 2x/week rehearsals, and have gigged the crap out of it. Preamp tubes however.....

Biggest thing, is you can mix 12ax7s, but Definitely match the power tubes.

Archived