New Guitar Day... it's been a while...

steve_man

• Members

Been thinking about a Taylor GS Mini for a while... Portable, but sound and play extremely well. Plus, I don't have to worry about damage to my larger Taylor on church trips. Ordered this Rosewood/Spruce GS Mini from Sweetwater today. Love that they photograph every guitar, so that you can pick the one you want. I especially like the wood grain on this one! Should be here on Thursday... just in time for youth camp next week!

235cf0f0cc3e1b1c77494193255589bc.thumb.jpg.89e850acc9373ed35192fdd619074e89.jpg

b64c5380b1d112c13e89740d60082795.thumb.jpg.e7d77122d30040d1f6eba1c26daa42fc.jpg

f46ae888462f072f304d8047eefe131e.thumb.jpg.70b6d2e30339f613a15c1600c948fafd.jpg

684347cd2cec650954ad2f6447405ce2.thumb.jpg.93a9c12275e32a669917eb17c92aae14.jpg

• Members

Don't know about you but I tend to follow the package every step of the way anticipating the big day.like a kid waiting for Christmas.

It is good looking for sure .The pickup system seems interesting.,is that behind rather than under the saddle? .They claim to get big sound out of a small guitar but that short scale might take some getting used to

• Members
Don't know about you but I tend to follow the package every step of the way anticipating the big day.like a kid waiting for Christmas.

It is good looking for sure .The pickup system seems interesting.,is that behind rather than under the saddle? .They claim to get big sound out of a small guitar but that short scale might take some getting used to

lol, yup... been checking it, for sure! I also have a full-size Taylor with the ES2 system. Here's a link to how Taylor came up with it:

Also, the short scale makes it very portable, yet still plays very well. Tons of volume and great tone. Is it as good as a full-size? No, but for it's size, it is pretty amazing.

• Members

Ha ha... sorry! Been crazy busy with kids camp/VBS this week.

Guitar came in on Thursday, and I've played it a LOT! Great tone, plays very well, and even sounds pretty good plugged in. Obviously not quite as a good as my full-size guitar, but man... still amazed at how much sound comes out of such a small guitar! Gig bag is quite nice. Taking it with me to camp tomorrow. Loving it so far! Here's a couple of pics, and one along with my 214

a9687fc5fd785e4e3ec70b42858549b0.thumb.png.1641e5b8c1ec921c17d541971a57a26a.png

7898590446798648a346fde7e2f308c1.thumb.png.2d62668861f3320446e7083b369b882d.png

I liked the GS Mini so much when I reviewed it that I bought the review unit. Mine is the original standard model with the mahogany back and solid spruce top. I'd love to hear a rosewood side by side with it for comparison's sake sometime. Same with the koa model. I tried the rosewood briefly at the Taylor booth at NAMM, but it was really too loud to be able to fully appreciate it.

The GS Mini is surprisingly big and full-bodied in its tone for a downsized / travel guitar. I wish they had gone a half inch longer with the scale length so it matched my Fender Mustang and Duo Sonic; even so, at 23.5" it's short scale, but not as ridiculously so as the Baby Taylor (which I also own), and it records surprisingly well too. Not as good as my 510, but it's a nice alternative voice. I really like them a lot.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...taylor-gs-mini

Congrats on the very cool NGD! :cool2:

• Members

well, unfortunately the GS is going back to Sweetwater. Couple of issues that I found after playing it for a few days. Pretty good sized spot on the lower bout that was really rough... like it had not been sanded correctly at the factory. Also, the ES2 system on this guitar seems to be having some issues. Some odd phantom noise, and it is CRAZY hot... feeds back with hardly any volume. I can dial it in, but for the price, this guitar shouldn't have these issues. Trying to decide whether to get the exact same guitar, or maybe something like a koa model... trying to decide.

• Members

Just me but I wouldn't want to try another GS Mini. I'd be afraid it would have the same issues. The Breedlove Pursuit Concert is a nice guitar for about the same money but unfortunately Sweetwater doesn't carry Breedlove.

• Members

yeah, I'm trying to decide what to do. I loved the concept of the guitar... sounds great, and love the portability of it. Thought about getting the Koa model, but it's another $100... I really don't want to invest a huge amount in a travel-sized guitar... Especially when I could pick up a pretty amazing second guitar for less money. Even considering a 12-string, just to have something different.

Archived