Why Harmony Central?

• Members

I don`t need charts or an outside consulting firm to tell me where the community is. Yes, everyone is online but they want to experience HC in a convenient place... their cell phone.

I don't think you're planning for the future, you're planning for today, which tomorrow will become yesterday. You may not need charts, but then again maybe you do...(info from Adam Satariano and Ian King - Bloomberg - Tuesday, May 03, 2016):

fetch?filedataid=117731

I'm betting on VR for lessons, content, and interaction.

And you might consider shorting Apple stock :)

• Members

Our YouTube channel is mobile-accessible. It has 14,000,000+ views. In the last 28 days, it had 68,000+ views, 163,000 minutes of watch time, and enough new subscribers to hit over 10,000 subscribers. And it keeps growing.

If you looked at the pro reviews you would see they are loaded with audio/video examples. The Anthology X thread has 15 audio/video demos and tons of screen shots, including some that show patches you can create. The Line 6 Helix review has audio examples of all the 40+ amps and of virtually all the effects. It has over 16,000 views, so I guess Bieke's community of 100 people like looking at the same thread over and over and over and over and over and over again. The UJAM Pro Review Xpress included free loops people could download as well as audio/video examples, and the Reach review has audio/video examples as well.

And yes, you can see/hear all of them on your iPhone just fine (turn it sideways when the videos appear). The people who are new to Harmony Central know this, that's where those 16,000 views came from. The old-timers...maybe not so much :)

Very cool Craig, did not realize that being one of the old timers. Truth is, I only look at the forums on HC... this one in particular and Phils on occasion and the songwriting forum on occasion but aside from that, I have very little idea what else HC holds.

EB

• Members

I don't think you're planning for the future, you're planning for today, which tomorrow will become yesterday. You may not need charts, but then again maybe you do...(info from Adam Satariano and Ian King - Bloomberg - Tuesday, May 03, 2016):

fetch?filedataid=117731

I'm betting on VR for lessons, content, and interaction.

And you might consider shorting Apple stock :)

I heard about cell phones going down in sales but from what I see on a daily basis, more and more people have them (at least here in NYC). I find myself on my phone more and more as well doing stuff I normally reserved for my desktop. I guess I`m in the minority...

(As for that Apple stock.... I wish I purchased it in 1998 but I didn`t and never have so... where would you recommend? :D )

• Members

hmm, I got carried away, I think there are about 100 (hopefully more) hardliners here who still post frequently and check the forus on a daily basis, and I really would love to have a forum revical and community uprise like it used to be, but in fact, times are changing and I'm old skool and now start to believe this forum thing has had its day and is in decline ... I don't know if HC can becoma a social media app, it would be up against Facebook and Twitter, just seems like a lost battle, and Lithium and Jive platforms was a kind of social media experiment, to some extent

• Members

it's a Google trands graph, a graph showing the term "Harmony Central"s popularity over time in (nearly) real time. A line trending downward means that a search term's relative popularity is decreasing. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the total number of searches for that term is decreasing. It just means its popularity is decreasing compared to other searches.

Sorry, I have participated everywhere and share knowledge and gaine knowledge,

I'm not making better music because of the knowledge found or things learrned here. In fact I was at my best in the late 80s-early 90s, if I listen back to stuff I made then, I could not play/do those things today, that's when I scored my hit single (I'm a one hit wonder) and when I was more pro and had more drive and I was making better music then than I am today (with all the technology and knowledge and gear I've accumulated since then) I just am not getting close to my "bestest muscmaking moment", which coincidentally lead to my 15 minutes of fame,

I

You're absolutely right about looking at the future, lots of challenges ahead, hopefully something that will revolutionize the music industry

• Members

To use your terminology Bieke (good observations btw), I believe the community still exists but we are no longer centered around our desktops. Everything today is mobile and app based. I think HC would be wise to create an app where this site could be accessed on the cells! I also think there is less interested in forums for most users. The forum is already "old". Today everything is on the phone and the info has to be easily accessible. You mentioned how in 2008 the site went "kaputt". That was also a big year for Facebook.

The rise of Facebook and Twitter tells me that people still want to communicate but the venue in which they do so is again, mobile and app based. HC should consider an app where threads act more like Facebook. You can easily add comments, like posts, and (this is key) easily upload photos, links, and music all on your iPhone. HC needs to meet the community where its at and that is social media. HC needs to become a social media app where quick videos can be accessed for anyone interested in learning about recording, playing instruments, etc... and reviews. Reviews need to be in video format now and audio needs to accompany these videos because nothing tells you more about an instrument or piece of gear that sound.

I don`t need charts or an outside consulting firm to tell me where the community is. Yes, everyone is online but they want to experience HC in a convenient place... their cell phone.

bieke commented

05-05-2016, 06:58 AM

hmm, I got carried away, I think there are about 100 (hopefully more) hardliners here who still post frequently and check the forus on a daily basis, and I really would love to have a forum revical and community uprise like it used to be, but in fact, times are changing and I'm old skool and now start to believe this forum thing has had its day and is in decline ... I don't know if HC can becoma a social media app, it would be up against Facebook and Twitter, just seems like a lost battle, and Lithium and Jive platforms was a kind of social media experiment, to some extent - end quote

Jive and Lithium weren't social media experiments. They were poorly executed decisions from people that did not have the best interest of the community at heart. They were colossal fails from the moment the switch was thrown on both. The thing is, moving back to vB was the ONLY way to restore all of the data that Jive and Lithium wasn't surfacing and we utilized vB (knowing the challenges of it) because we truly cared to restore HC's lost data (which wasn't lost but rather hidden by other platforms). We move slow and carefully with changes, updates and the like because we do care about the community. We, like you Bieke, care about the community and the data. So, unlike previous regimes, we are very cautious and careful with each move. The truth is, this forum is the closest it has ever been to a pre-Jive/Lithium experience and with each improvement gets better. But I will challenge you this - instead of bringing to the surface the problems, bring solutions. You are always very thoughtful of this community. Your threads are epic. You seem to have a pretty vast knowledge of back end coding. You are always welcome to e-mail, PM or call me with SOLUTIONS. And while I can't promise that we could carry them out, we are always open to solutions

• Members

the 100 are the forum regulars, the Newsletter, well speaking for myself, I am subscribed to hundreds of newsletters and I rarely read any of them, just quickly scroll through at most ...

• Members

yup, YouTube is doing well, I do check the Youtube channel every once in a while, it just does not seem that theere are that many views, at least the videos added in the past 5 months all have realtively low amount of views, I dunno, but Youtube is pulling a large crowd, and especially gear reviews have moved from written reviews to well Youtube reviews ...

• Members

me too, after OLGA and the User Reviews, I became an FX forum addict, and sometimes I checked the news, and I think I read the frist article on here in 2012 or so ... now it's the other way round, check new articles first, check news, and then head to forums. I'm not getting my daily dose here so I also go elsewhere, I used to stick to HC exclusively and in the past few years discovered a lot of places ... there sure is a lot more variety and choice nowadays than before, which is good.

• Members

Craig and I use the term newsletter because we are creatures of habit. A true newsletter would indicate that there is only "news" in it. "Make Better Music" is more of a bi-weekly 'e-zine' that is some of the latest information we post. If you aren't subscribed, you should be and if you don't read it, you should. It is the one thing that is truly well done to the degree that it is fully adaptive and works across all platforms.

As for the 100. You are guessing at best, and it really isn't true. Most people who are regulars, have gotten entrenched in only the forums they frequent and forget that we have classified forums (which have a ton of traffic), and a lot of other forums that they never venture into.

• Members

yeah, yeah, it's probably more than 100, ... last week all of a sudden the number of guests and number of members online quadrupled, I noticed that I was shown as online while I was not and 5 hours later I was still online, could it be that the Who's online thing is broken, anyhow, participation is low, not many new threads, not many new posts, threads not getting many views,always the same people posting, things like that triggered me to write that there seems to be 100 regulars left here

• Members

cool Dendy, I did make a couple of suggestions in my reply to the 5 questions survey, but I'll give it some more thoughts, and as soon as I have a list of 10 solutions, I will pass these on to you, I don't know anything about back end coding though, I just wanted to understand what is going on with vB these days,

OK, solutions for HC, actually, that's not an easy task, challenge accepted

• Members

What's important is how many we can get back. I get daily requests from a few folks wanting access back in. Their last activity time stamp indicates that they were locked out when we went to Lithium. Perhaps a member campaign drive amongst those left would be helpful. It would be like an "HC Reunion" of sorts.

• Moderators

AHA, now I see why we were having this discussion in Nashville...I guess I'm too invested in HC to let go, and as we discussed, I see old timers stopping in, asking for help to get re-upped, but, as I told you, I am no longer able to do that [the whole permissions thing, which we also discussed]. so many old timers had no link to old email addies, it was absolutely devastating; unitl we came back, at least mods could work out the kinks, now, nada..nada chance. We lost so much in the platform changes, and the 'sale', including moderators...and staff, editorial people, etc.

On hte positive side, HC has a solid future, but it needs to adapt, evolve and continue to reinvent itself. Forums have been supplanted all over the web by social media, which is in a state of flux as FB competes with Pinterest, snapchat, twitter, etc...[all trying to make sure they can actually monetize their presence to support their stock price, a luxury HC has been able to avoid so far]; but, really, who has time for all that? And honestly, it is not really social media, it is, in most instances, pomposity media...targeting the ME generation concept, that you can create your own legend for yourself, even if no one else actually reads it. Bloggers...? meh, everyone and their janitor has a freaking blog these days...we are burying ourselves in our own filth, thinking that everyone wants to know about us...good lord, where could this lead? :rolleyes:

HC has an opportunity to remain THE musicians clearing house, but so many great historical aspects have been buried [like the User Reviews, and I know Chris has been killing on this but they are still not all there. Pro reviews are fine, but getting the T.C. Mits opinion is priceless!], cut [OLGA, the reason I found HC], marginalized [search capabilities...and yes, the database is just so vast].

So the challenge is to find HC that 'one thing' that Curly talked about in City Slickers...

Great seeing Scott swing by!

Archived