Name A Song with a Woman's Name in the Title!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pushing the boundaries here... this song isn't actually about a girl or named after a girl, frenesi means frenzy in Spanish.

But, when I was a kid, I went to grade school with a girl named Frenesi.

So, without further ado...

[video=youtube;7laezZPEyOI]

• Members

FWIW, in 1996, I finished off a short album of girl name songs called The Barista Project... since the names were drawn from the names of the female baristas at my favorite coffee shop. The concept was supposed to be pop punk, so I used a nom de guerre, The Disintegrators. Sample titles: "Rachel, Tell Me No," "Kristin (Was Never Here)," "Losing Lisa" (present participle and gerund names were big in that simpler time), "Don't Let Dee Dee Dog You 'Round," and so on.

• Members

Mary Long - Deep Purple

[video=youtube;cEFPNLz7kjE]

This is actually a Ritchie Blackmore song but I posted this version because I really like Steve Morse's guitar solo. It's Blackmoreish, which is a good thing if you're playing Deep Purple songs, but he adds a lot of his own great playing to it.

Blackmore was never one to pretend he didn't steal a lot of his ideas from other songs. This one opens up and ends with the riff from Bob Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff' and the whole thing, including the last bit of the guitar solo where Steve cops Ritchie, sounds like an attempt to remake 'Smoke on the Water'. I think that once Ritchie tasted phenomenal commercial success he wanted more.

Here's the original studio version which has a real "Smoke" flavour to it.

[video=youtube;1XBnugm29E4]

I think Blackmore plays the opening riff with a slide and Morse really gets the smoothness of the slide when he plays it.

I studied Blackmore when I was starting out but I was only listening to the records. I'd play them at 16 rpm which is approximately half of 33 1/3 so the songs played at half speed an octave lower. It wasn't until I started watching videos that I realized how much of it was slide. I developed my technique by trying to play Blackmore slide parts smoothly but without the slide.

• Members
[video=youtube;4dqvX8tVQeI]

"Evangeline" - Matthew Sweet

I'll see your Matthew Sweet "Evangeline" with a (whole different) Gray Martin "Evangeline"

(I became acquainted with Gray on the old Mp3.com right around the turn of the century. Fell in love with this song and the sense of yearning and longing I get from it. Appropriate to the namesake literary character, of course.)

Gray Martin "Evangeline"​

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4896610

Sorry about the Soundclick link. But it works.

I say that because I found it at two other DIY oriented sites -- but the copy at MySpace didn't make any sound as it played (yes, volumes on the MySpace player as well as my rig were up).

And FameMusic took several minutes just to load the page and then several more to get a player interface up -- and then when I finally got a share link from FameMusic for the song and checked it, the page was broken (missing CSS was my guess, just isolated page elements stretching forever).

FameMusic's marketing slogan is: "Welcome to your last music platform." Which, if you wait for their home page to load might end up being literally true -- it's not hard to imagine dying while waiting... what a disaster.

Archived