NGD Martin OO17S With questions

missedmyexit

• Members

Just picked up a new Martin 0017S. Went in looking for a nice parlor and wanted to check out a couple of those new Fender Paramount. Was very unpressed with the Fender and somehow this 0017S followed me home. I was wondering if anyone heard anything about this new finish. This is satin, no gloss and no grain filler. You can feel and see the grain of the wood. I am wondering if this lowers it's tolerance to humidity issues since it doesn't have the normal sealer on it.

Overall I love the guitar and with the super light finish she sings. When I was A/Bing it in the shop someone came in and started playing a Taylor, looked like one of the Grand Auditorium and this little guitar held it's own in the volume department.

as a side note. Also played the Jeff Tweedy 00DM. I am not a huge "this guy put his name on it so I am paying extra money for the same box of wood" guy but that guitar sounded outstanding. I was already stretching the budget on the 0017s so I backed away slowly.

d9a0442f8ffef55ecea5858a49b89ace.thumb.jpg.3bf4c491b9704b44ebda297c6587b8da.jpg

0adfbc6bc5d7d6051f89f56189c729dd.thumb.jpg.80e792b98661226bd5f38100856ff8e2.jpg

• Members

The finish is there to protect the exterior wood surfaces of the guitar... to keep water and other liquids from spills, sweat, polishes, cleaners, etc., from getting into the pores of the wood. The satin UV cured poly on that guitar likely has about the same porosity as a lacquer or other type finish, and it will keep liquids away from the outer surfaces of the guitar just as effectively.

Besides, humidity can still easily get into the wood on the inside surfaces of the guitar, which are not sealed or finished.

BTW, nice guitar! Enjoy!

• Members

The finish is there to protect the exterior wood surfaces of the guitar... to keep water and other liquids from spills, sweat, polishes, cleaners, etc., from getting into the pores of the wood. The satin UV cured poly on that guitar likely has about the same porosity as a lacquer or other type finish, and it will keep liquids away from the outer surfaces of the guitar just as effectively.

Besides, humidity can still easily get into the wood on the inside surfaces of the guitar, which are not sealed or finished.

BTW, nice guitar! Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. I am enjoying it so far. I had my heart set on a slothead parlor but played that and knew within a minute I was going over budget.

2nd Question, I noticed after getting home and putting it through it's paces that the low E string has a bit a buzz when under med/heavy attack and not as much sustain when capo'ed. I am considering sending it in for a setup but don't want to part with it for a week. Any of you fixers have any thoughts on how to fix it?

• Members

No thoughts on that except to say that a new guitar just out of the box should probably be set up. Many times, the dealer will throw a setup in free or at a discount. It's not expensive anyway. Tell the guy doing the setup about the buzz and sustain issue. A good setup man should also want to quiz you on your playing style so he can set string heights accordingly. Yep. You'll have to do without it for a few days.

• Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. A setup isn't rocket science. Measure the relief and action and report back. We can talk you through a basic setup. If it turns out the nut needs work you're better off taking it to a tech since good nut files aren't cheap but you can start with proper action and relief.

• Members

Congratulation on your new guitar. I haven't had a chance to play one of the new 17's yet but it is a guitar after my heart. I'll be interested in your comments as you play it for a while.

There a number of reasons a manufacture uses satin instead of gloss finish - one for this model is that the wonderful Martin 17 series guitar of the depression era were finished that way. I didn't realize that they were using poly on these - I thought all Martins were nitrocellulose but ether way it doesn't matter. Important thing is that YOU like the finish.

As far as the buzzing, I would take it back to the store and let them work with you. I don't think a new owner should have to do any setup work himself, but if you decide you want to do that DE, FF or I would be happy to walk you thru the process.

All of that said, I think that's a really good choice and I look forward to your experience with it.

• Members

You can certainly take it back to the shop but, as I said, a setup is fairly simple and personally I prefer to do my own. Quite honestly, I expect to do a setup on a new (or new to me) guitar. IMHO, it's simply a skill a guitarist should have. At minimum, you ought to take some measurements so you know where you stand now.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Update on the Martin 00-17s, it's been a full month and half since buying the guitar and 20-30 hours of playing on it so a good time for impressions.

1. Worked out the buzzing issue mentioned above. Probably just a humidity thing but it worked itself out after a couple days in my acoustic room.

2. This thing is loud for a little guy. Constantly impressed with the amount of sound this thing throws out.

3. While I really like the no frills no gloss finish on it I have noticed that it is much softer and easier to ding then my other guitars. Frankly it doesn't bother me to me guitar are to be played and a couple little dings isn't going to cause me any harm. But it is something to be aware of, it's not a inexpensive guitar and for some this would be an issue.

4. Tone, pretty good base but obviously has a lot higher voice then my F50 or J45. I love the constrast.

5. Comfort, for those who have owned parlors this is probably obvious but this is my first parlor and playing while sitting around it just more comfortable. I love the f50 but it's a beast to play on anything but a stool or standing.

Overall I am very happy with this. I still wish it was a slothead but oh well guess I am going to have buy another guitar to check that box.

• Members
Update on the Martin 00-17s, it's been a full month and half since buying the guitar and 20-30 hours of playing on it so a good time for impressions.

1. Worked out the buzzing issue mentioned above. Probably just a humidity thing but it worked itself out after a couple days in my acoustic room.

2. This thing is loud for a little guy. Constantly impressed with the amount of sound this thing throws out.

3. While I really like the no frills no gloss finish on it I have noticed that it is much softer and easier to ding then my other guitars. Frankly it doesn't bother me to me guitar are to be played and a couple little dings isn't going to cause me any harm. But it is something to be aware of, it's not a inexpensive guitar and for some this would be an issue.

4. Tone, pretty good base but obviously has a lot higher voice then my F50 or J45. I love the constrast.

5. Comfort, for those who have owned parlors this is probably obvious but this is my first parlor and playing while sitting around it just more comfortable. I love the f50 but it's a beast to play on anything but a stool or standing.

Overall I am very happy with this. I still wish it was a slothead but oh well guess I am going to have buy another guitar to check that box.

Very nice.

I have a couple of 000 Martins and they are very comfy and voiced very well.Especially for sitting around the living room and playing, or campside.

That's kinda what they were made for.

They still do the parlor thing at the Dreamaway Lodge in Becket MA. I have been there, No cover songs, only original music and public domain stuff.

ENJOY YOUR NEW MARTIN.

DSC_2087-1980x1300.jpg

• Members
. . . 1. Worked out the buzzing issue mentioned above. Probably just a humidity thing but it worked itself out after a couple days in my acoustic room. . . .

. . . 3. While I really like the no frills no gloss finish on it I have noticed that it is much softer and easier to ding then my other guitars. Frankly it doesn't bother me to me guitar are to be played and a couple little dings isn't going to cause me any harm. But it is something to be aware of, it's not a inexpensive guitar and for some this would be an issue. . . .

. . . I still wish it was a slothead but oh well guess I am going to have buy another guitar to check that box.

Good on you. Glad to hear the buzzing worked out. If I had to guess I'd say you're probably right about the humidity issue. My "good" Ibanez also has a very thin finish, somewhere between gloss and satin, plus it's a burst. There are places where you can see the white of the spruce in the middle of a black area. I think that's the price you pay. I have a soft spot for slotheads too. My first decent guitar was an Alvarez 5020, basically a 12 fret 000 with a slotted head.

• Members

​The interesting part of that is for some models, like the 00-15S the "S" does denote "standard" model which is a slot head (some people thought the S was directly for slot head but I've been told that it indicates 12 fret and slotted headstock together. I've already complained about the use of "17" for a guitar with a spruce top, traditionally the 00-17's were wonderful all mahogany guitars from the '30's. Anyway, I too am a big fan of slots - they just look "right" on a small body

IMG_1781_zps62e38a89.jpg

• Members

Nice looking git. I really like that. Beautiful. I have a Taylor with a satin finish and for me I just like that type of finish over a glossy reflecting type of finish...You are right though, it is softer and dings easily....Adds character.:cool:

• Members

Slot heads are a real pain to restring and more fragile to bumps. They look cool but after a few restrings the allure wears off. As for the low E string buzzing and lacking sustain, make sure that the ball end is well seated against the bridge plate and not floating inside the guitar. That can create those symptoms. Also if there is anything under the saddle keeping it from being flush with the bottom of the bridge's saddle slot.

Try changing the string gauge. Also make sure that there's some relief to the neck and that it's not bowed or too flat. After all that, it might just need to open up a bit...but at the end of the day it IS a small parlor guitar and the bass isn't going to be huge like a jumbo or dred. especially when playing the bass E high up the neck.

Archived