So I played one of my guitars today

wankdeplank

• Members

I don't know what happened, but it was transcendent. It wasn't anything special, actually one of my cheaper Strats (93 Fender Squier Series) into my main practice workhorse, a Peavey Bandit. Same thing I always do when I sit down for a strum but somehow this time was special (has happened before but not enough). I was thinking I hadn't played ABB's Jessica for awhile (year or so maybe) and wondered if I'd remember how, but it came right back just like riding a bike. I was totally into the tone but also the vibration of the body that was resonating right through me. Played that one till I got the bugs out - got the bends and vibrato speaking to me. Then I turned to some Oye Como Va and played it a couple times till it rung true. From there I turned to Hooked on a feeling and did a little bellering till I got most of the sour notes out. What do you get when you fall in love was a melody in my head I started jamming to after that and then I finished with a fingerstyle version of Greensleeves I learned several years ago and usually pull out around this time of year. In all I probably played no more than about thirty minutes but it was really really edifying - maybe because I hadn't picked it up for a week or so. I'm thinking my New Year's Resolution this year will be less TV and more guitar pickin. How about you? Still getting a charge out of it?

• Members

Yeah, it's addictive.

I've spent my entire life chasing that. I remember hitting it once at a gig when I was 17 and still in high school. I had already decided to go to college (electronics school) but after the experience, finishing my education was just putting in time until I could go out on the road and play guitar.

That was over forty years ago but I still get the same thrill when the guitar just sits right and feels right and the sound seems multi-dimensional and it all seems effortless.

• Members

I find it happens with improvising one minute you are just dik-ing around then suddenly something just flows out and it's like watching someone else play and you are like - woah keep going man! even though it's you.

That's why I always leave the Audacity recording in the background. In the days before I had a PC I just lost too much good stuff that would just pass and be gone forever. Now I can go back and find those spontaneous riffs and patterns to work up into something.

:)

• Members
... it's like watching someone else play . . .

I believe it was Stevie Ray Vaughn who described it as "sitting in the second row of the balcony watching myself play things I didn't know I could play."

When it happens for me I also feel like the observer and that the music is coming from somewhere else. My role seems to be just holding and placing my fingers on the instrument. There is also a certain amount of confidence that I'm never going to hit a wrong note. At that point I feel as if I am totally in service to the music and a small part of something much greater than myself

• Members
I don't know what happened, but it was transcendent. It wasn't anything special, actually one of my cheaper Strats (93 Fender Squier Series) into my main practice workhorse, a Peavey Bandit. Same thing I always do when I sit down for a strum but somehow this time was special (has happened before but not enough). I was thinking I hadn't played ABB's Jessica for awhile (year or so maybe) and wondered if I'd remember how, but it came right back just like riding a bike. I was totally into the tone but also the vibration of the body that was resonating right through me. Played that one till I got the bugs out - got the bends and vibrato speaking to me. Then I turned to some Oye Como Va and played it a couple times till it rung true. From there I turned to Hooked on a feeling and did a little bellering till I got most of the sour notes out. What do you get when you fall in love was a melody in my head I started jamming to after that and then I finished with a fingerstyle version of Greensleeves I learned several years ago and usually pull out around this time of year. In all I probably played no more than about thirty minutes but it was really really edifying - maybe because I hadn't picked it up for a week or so. I'm thinking my New Year's Resolution this year will be less TV and more guitar pickin. How about you? Still getting a charge out of it?

I'm helping to build the California High Speed Rail ( pushing 50 and working with younger guys), raising a 7 year old Daughter and a 20 month old Daughter .... When I pickup the guitar, it's such a stress reliever .... and my tiny Daughter looks like she's developing an interest in the guitar too ;)

Sounds like you are falling in love with the guitar again .... once you play, you play for life !!!!

• Members

I'm helping to build the California High Speed Rail ( pushing 50 and working with younger guys), raising a 7 year old Daughter and a 20 month old Daughter .... When I pickup the guitar, it's such a stress reliever .... and my tiny Daughter looks like she's developing an interest in the guitar too ;)

Sounds like you are falling in love with the guitar again .... once you play, you play for life !!!!

Wow, and I thought I had a hard time scheduling guitar time. My slate is clearly no where near as full as yours. As far as loving the guitar, I really never stopped. It's just disappointing sometimes because I got into it so late in life; don't really have the time or inclination to play out much; and have struggled with some carpal issues (seems to be improving, hooray). With me it's totally a meditation with no real aspirations which kind of flies in the face of our achievement oriented society. And my OCD side does struggle with that sometimes. But it really does so much for my internal well being it will always be a part of my life in some capacity till the fingers stop working.

• Members

I've been in Tibet on a spiritual search for meaning. The Dali Lama is a cool dude and did you know he can shred? The guy can really smoke on the guitar. He is a big Michael Schenker fanboy.

Tibet is a long walk, particularly on the way back. Went through quite a few pairs of shoes.

• Members

There's this moment that everyone who loves the guitar has... where it's not practicing, or working, or even playing, it's becoming part of the instrument. That special moment where you are blended with it. There's no real thought, no wrong notes, just the sheer enjoyment of the moment. I get that once in a while, and it's that drug that keeps me playing, wanting more.

• Members
I find it happens with improvising one minute you are just dik-ing around then suddenly something just flows out and it's like watching someone else play and you are like - woah keep going man! even though it's you.

That's exactly how it happens. And it's magical for a while .... until you lose it and then .... sigh.

Archived