So, best budget-friendly delay?

Preacher

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just ordered this pedal. Should have it Friday. I bought their chorus pedal a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed. Decided to give this delay and their phase shifter a try. For $30 you can't go wrong.

Cool! I'd be happy to hear your thoughts after playing it. :thu:

• Members

Cool! I'd be happy to hear your thoughts after playing it. :thu:

Well......The phase shifter sounds great. But, the delay was DOA out of the box.I've messaged Donnerdeal this morning to see what the return/exchange process is all about. Guess I can't complain. The chorus and phase shifter work great out of the box. I'll keep you posted when I get the delay exchanged. It will be interesting to see how easy or difficult the exchange process will be.

• Members

Well......The phase shifter sounds great. But, the delay was DOA out of the box.I've messaged Donnerdeal this morning to see what the return/exchange process is all about. Guess I can't complain. The chorus and phase shifter work great out of the box. I'll keep you posted when I get the delay exchanged. It will be interesting to see how easy or difficult the exchange process will be.

Thanks for the update, good to know and I hope things get sorted quickly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a quick update. I'm happy to report that Donnerdeal sent me a replacement Yellow Fall delay. The process was easy. In fact, I received the replacement before I had a chance to mail back the defective unit. I've only plugged it in to make sure it works and it does. Haven't had a chance to actually play with it. I'll give a more detailed review this weekend after I've had a chance to actually use it.

• Members

Well....I used the Donner Yellow Fall delay at rehearsal last night and I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm not good at putting into words what I hear in my head, but the delay sounded very natural. The knobs have a wide range of adjustment which lets you dial in exactly what you want. The decay on the repeats really impressed me. It almost sounded as if I was running a delay and reverb. The DMM and Carbon Copy I had seemed to cut off the decay too quickly, even at the maximum setting. The Yellow Fall also seemed to have a longer delay time than the 300ms they advertise.

The Yellow Fall is very quiet and seems to be well built. As I mentioned before, I also purchased their phase shifter and chorus and the build quality seems to be consistent. They were also very helpful in getting me a replacement delay when the first one was DOA out of the box.

Overall I'm glad I took a chance on these pedals. For the price, it's hard to beat. And, NO, I don't work for them.

• Members
I'm looking for a delay to throw in the effects loop of my amp. On my main board I have an m9 that takes care of most of my modulation but when I visit family on the other coast I need a delay, and as I'm not out there as much as I should be, I'm not looking to spend a lot.

You take your amp with you when traveling cross country? Brutal! DE-7 is great, but how about an Echo Park? They are cheap, sound great, and use some of the same digital models that you are used to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like the TC flashback mini very much. That thing is pretty amazing if you're willing to put some work into it other than twisting a few knobs. The toneprint editor and app allow you to get some pretty great delays.

To be honest, my budget delay a few years back was the Diamond Memory Lane 2. Budget delay for $600?!? I must be crazy. Hear me out... With so many great delays on the market I just said F it and splurged for the delay that sounded best and had all of the options I wanted. Rather than buying 5 different delays and flipping them for the others I think I saved some dough by just biting the bullet.

• Members
I like the TC flashback mini very much. That thing is pretty amazing if you're willing to put some work into it other than twisting a few knobs. The toneprint editor and app allow you to get some pretty great delays.

To be honest, my budget delay a few years back was the Diamond Memory Lane 2. Budget delay for $600?!? I must be crazy. Hear me out... With so many great delays on the market I just said F it and splurged for the delay that sounded best and had all of the options I wanted. Rather than buying 5 different delays and flipping them for the others I think I saved some dough by just biting the bullet.

Interesting, I'll take a look - thanks!

Oh, and $600? Yeah, not really in my ballpark. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
4 pages and not one mention of the EHX #1 Echo Digital Delay,

[video=youtube;GgTVpc8b-vw]

A good friend of mine swears by his. Cheap, simple to use, sounds good, and has a long max delay time if you need it.

These don't get a lot of love, but I think they are a good simple cheap delay.

Hmmm, very interesting.

I think it's a little too 'clean' for me but yeah, this seems like a pretty good pedal that can be found cheap as it really is under the radar. Not even that many YouTube demos considering it's an EHX product. Cool! :idea:

Hmmm, very interesting.

I think it's a little too 'clean' for me but yeah, this seems like a pretty good pedal that can be found cheap as it really is under the radar. Not even that many YouTube demos considering it's an EHX product. Cool! :idea:

Yeah, it's an unapologetic digital delay - it's not designed to emulate an analog delay like some modern digital delays are - the repeats stay clean with it, and don't grunge up as they decay.

• Members

Yeah, it's an unapologetic digital delay - it's not designed to emulate an analog delay like some modern digital delays are - the repeats stay clean with it, and don't grunge up as they decay.

Yup, totally understood, and I can see where that would be useful. While that's not what I'm looking for right now, I *very much* welcome it to the discussion as I would be happy if anybody else found this thread useful but also I'll probably be back here in the near future looking to get a clean digital sound too. :facepalm::lol:

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Amazon Lightning Deal has the Donner Yellow Fall for $28 shipped right now, I just pulled the trigger.

Ok, so a few thoughts on this little guy.

• Feels great, looks good, came in a nifty little box.
  • Does a pretty good slapback.
  • There may be some variance between units because I couldn't coax much modulation at all from the Yellow Fall. I mean, I'm probably not doing it right, but it seemed pretty clean throughout.

Overall, not a bad little delay - especially for the money ( :thu:), but I probably do want something with a little more personality. :idk:

Archived