So, best budget-friendly delay?

Preacher

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They seem to have very similar sonic characteristics.

Is it just me, or does it sound like the DE-7's repeats start to grunge up a bit faster than the DL-8?

yeah, the dl-8 is crisper. the de-7 mushes up very nicely, imo.

TM158scR3kg

• Members

You're right, that is a nice demo, boomerang and all. But, that sound... love.gif

the problem with the dmm for me is it is too finicky. one small adjustment and you're in unusable territory. had to get rid of that one because it was causing a ground loop i couldn't remedy.

• Members
I had a memory boy and toy' date=' loved them both. [/quote']

Well, not that boy-toys usually stick around (or so I hear), but why the former tense?

Also, if you feel like explaining, how did they differ, in your opinion?

• Members

So the Memory Toy...

[video=youtube;-ahg3GsvX4g]

This one finally starts about one minute in (and his modulation trim pot may need to be adjusted):

[video=youtube;EPzNqhy_D6s]

[video=youtube;TVA7H8Dg9ps]

• Members
memory toy sounds good to me

Word. Did you ever have one?

Also, I enjoyed this demo and I don't think I've seen one with so many clean tone "checks".

[video=youtube;CeB4rnwss7k]

and then there's this from whiteboy2207 ("EHX Memory Toy Oscillation")...

[video=youtube;jqBSBRheVMg]

• Members
No' date=' i was scared off by all of the bad reports - faulty switches, drifting delay times, dead.[/quote']

Well, I certainly can't argue with that. It seems between trim pot adjustments and needing to snap the connectors back together this isn't always a "just switch it on and play" pedal.

• Members
If you're buying used' date=' very tough to argue against a DE7, unless you really need something it doesn't do, eg loop and hold.[/quote']

Ah, another vote for the DE7; gotta admit, it does sound really good...

[video=youtube;n_GJ4y4A7Xc]

[video=youtube;6DnvZ4R7oqY]

• Members
Did you ever have one?

I had an original full sized Memory Man back in the 70's The stainless steel case has some flex to it. The circuit board is mounted to the top of the case, and when stepped on too hard it would flex the board. This eventually lead to a cracked PC board and even with repairing the cracked traces was never right again. The new versions look the same as the old. Haven't seen the inside of them but they may wind up having that same flaw.

I had similar issues with their EQ and Flanger. The EQ wound up with dirt in the sliders from stepping on the bypass switch. Really a stupid design for an EQ pedal when I think about it. The pedals were OK new but I'd never buy a reissue without modifying it so the board cant flex with the top.

Oh, by the way the stainless steel chassis aren't so hot for hum either. If you got the pedals near a hum source the stainless steel wasn't the best hum blocker. Maybe they've corrected that in the reissues. If not, lining the inside with grounded copper foil would be the fix.

Putting a hinged Plexiglas lid to close down over the EQ sliders would have been a smart move for the EQ to keep dirt out.

Their small boxes look like die cast Zink boxes so its unlikely you'll have any issues with those. They could crack if you drop them but wont flex.

• Members

Interesting info, thanks! The EHX nano cases do indeed appear to be fine. The common issue with the memory toy seems to be that to fit it in the nano case they use 2 PCBs and the connector sometimes disconnects from the pins and needs to be snapped back together.

• Members

Word.

In addition to the excellent demos Goodhonk has been producing I've been checking videos of other budget delays.

For example, the little Donner Yellow Fall:

Brett Kingman

[video=youtube;cgrqmQzh_mI]

Dennis Kayzer

[video=youtube;m-_LsDgiNxc]

I just ordered this pedal. Should have it Friday. I bought their chorus pedal a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed. Decided to give this delay and their phase shifter a try. For $30 you can't go wrong.

Archived