Not liking the forecast.

• Members

Same here- how does anything get done? (unless of course you're inside and air-conditioned space). I have met the occasional person that actually likes humidity!

People get it done because it has to get... An old adage from when I worked on a farm. Anyone who has ever bailed hay when it's 100+ knows that nothing in audio can compare. Just got back from my 4th of July gig. 105 degrees, I easily drank 2 gallons of water and didn't to visit the facilities once... Didn't know you could swear through steel toe boots until today

• Members

NuSound wrote:

Anyone who has ever bailed hay when it's 100+ knows that nothing in audio can compare.

I was in Arkansas as a teenager bailing hay in 90+ weather, and what impressed me the most was how itchy it was!!! So many bugs, and all the hay had all kinds of itchy grasses in it, and of course there's dirt galore, and you're sweatin' like a pig, so you end up becoming this itchy, sweaty dirt ball!

• Members

An old adage from when I worked on a farm. Anyone who has ever
bailed hay
when it's 100+ knows that nothing in audio can compare.

Humm...

I seem to recall that the baling part was MOL the cush job... even bucking bales onto the truck or stacking on the truck was preferred to riding & stacking on the slip... and even that was preferred to stacking in the peak of a tin roofed barn... where the airflow as... well... all you'd expect it to be on a dead calm day, inside a barn, where the only opening to the outside was a 3ft. square hay door, that had the hay elevator stuck in it.

Yea... I know... there'll probably be somebody come along here that's gonna say: "Wow, you had a hay elevator to get the bales in the loft of the barn?"

For some reason, I have little (well basically no) desire to farm

• Members

even bucking bales.....riding & stacking on the slip... hay elevator...the cone bottoms of grain storage tanks... aerobatic fermented peas...plugged a combine...from the header spout to the straw chopper...the straw walkers

You know, this may as well be written in greek. I have absolutely NO idea what any of this means (and I think I prefer it this way based on the context of your thread.) I thought the conversations here were filled with technical details, jargon, and even some colloquial terms that were hard to follow for some people, but this takes it for me. Guess it is obvious I am a city boy who hasn't spent 5 cumulative minutes on a farm in my life.

I grew up where a tough day outside meant cutting a half acre of grass with a self propelled mower. The scary thing is that I think a LOT of people here know exactly what you said... ;-)

• Members

Humm...

I seem to recall that the baling part was MOL the cush job... even bucking bales onto the truck or stacking on the truck was preferred to riding & stacking on the slip... and even that was preferred to stacking in the peak of a tin roofed barn... where the airflow as... well... all you'd expect it to be on a dead calm day, inside a barn, where the only opening to the outside was a 3ft. square hay door, that had the hay elevator stuck in it.

Yep. Used to haul hay with my dad in 100 degree heat in California during the summers. Hard work.

• Members

You know, this may as well be written in greek.

The scary thing is that I think a LOT of people here know exactly what you said... ;-)

It is scary to be someone who can track (mostly) with the discussions -- or to at least think that I'm tracking. :confused: Mark C.

• Members

Yea... I know... there'll probably be somebody come along here that's gonna say: "Wow, you had a hay elevator to get the bales in the loft of the barn?"

We didn't have a hay loft, just stacked 'em high inside the barn on the main floor. No elevator.

And, like you, I have no desire to farm. Luckily my brother was able and willing to take over the family farm.

• Members

I used to be a framing contractor, and worked all Summer long in cut-offs and tennis shoes, period (helllacious tan)... We built a big one out in the country, and after getting covered in sawdust hitting the pond was about mandatory! I still remember that there were layers of really cool water in the shady places, and it nearly took your breathe away when you dove in!

• Members

The hottest gig I can recall at the moment was set up day at Waterloo Village Concert Field in NJ probably 20 years ago. This Mountain Shed stage faced a field that could accomodate 15,000 people and our IA crew was there to put the skin on the roof and lay in power distribution.

The day was full sun, highs hit around 102 and humidity hovered in the 90% level. The entire 16 hour call our crews worked 20 minutes on followed by 20 minutes off. During each 20 minutes off I drank a gallon of water and didn't take a leak all day.

I did manage to lay out more than 5,000 feet of four ought cable however.

Archived