Not liking the forecast.

• Members

We didn't have a hay loft, just stacked 'em high inside the barn on the main floor. No elevator.

And, like you, I have no desire to farm. Luckily my brother was able and willing to take over the family farm.

I'm going to have to stack a couple dozen bales and unload 40 sacks of feed myself on Monday... getting too old to do this stuff ;)

Mark, the cucumbers are coming in, gonna be up to my eyeballs in them in a few days. Same with the peppers but tomatoes are still a couple weeks off.

• Members

Mark, the cucumbers are coming in, gonna be up to my eyeballs in them in a few days. Same with the peppers but tomatoes are still a couple weeks off.

Cucumbers??? Already?

Here's what my cucumber plants look like this morning (yes, that's mud on the leaves):

cucumber_plants.JPG

:facepalm:

I don't think my cucumber plants (and tomatoes plants) embraced the past 2 months of rain and many 45 - 50 degree days... although the onions and spuds didn't seem to mind, and have done much better:

garden.JPG

• Members

Richmond set a record of 104 today. Heat index was around 116.

All that Dantes infereno left here in the middle of the night last night.

High of 80 degrees today. Yesterday it was 98. UNREAL.

Im up in central Wisconsin and 100 degrees just dont happen to often. The inferno

was here for what seemed like weeks.

Even scorched my tomato plant leaves.

• Members

Even scorched my tomato plant leaves.

I find that hard to believe since it seems like tomato plants are a bit like cats in that both can seemingly sop up as much heat as you can throw at them... as long as they're well hydrated.

In my previous life I trucked tomato products out of the Bakerfield CA area... where it was commonly 100F+ daily (on the order of 115F as I recall)... and the tomatoes there seemed content to just sop it up.

A few cats ago, the shop cat of the day routinely would sleep under the wood stove... and while there she'd attain a consistancy of jello (and no brains). I have no doubts that the ambient temp of where she slept most of her life away was on the order of 120F+

• Members

Lots of tomatoes on the way.

Those are amazing Bill... looks almost like grape vines.

BTW: We don't have anything like that here... my tomatoes just picked their heads up out of the dirt a couple of days ago. Along about Labor day their biological clock will likely kick into gear, just in-time to set a few fruits... and almost get my hopes up before they get smucked by the first frost (generally right about labor day weekend +/- a few days).

• Members

The heat may not be good for outdoor shows but our semi-permiculture tomatillos have been loving it. In less than two weeks we should get the first round. Some of our plants are already over 4' high! And I'm in Colorado!

tomatillos.jpg

It's crazy how we got hit with a monsoon style rain a week after all those fires...

Archived