Because I care (and I know you do too…) Suggestions for the HC powers that be...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The biggest problem I have with posting is the way keystrokes jump around...drives me crazy.

Craig, we've had a hell of a time replicating this - shows up sporadically.

There is a workaround (as posted in the Nucleus Central forum)... Go to the end of the last paragraph in your composition and press the keyboard Enter key. This resets the editor so it behaves properly.

• Members

We can't get there from here...

We can do anything to VBulletin that you want or need. Deciding if we could is not the issue, it's whether we should. If your request makes sense, we'll do it.

I keep asking people who post the general "this site sucks" rants what they want, and then they never take the time to tell us - but they do take the time to shoot bullets at us.

Super frustrating!

IMO. this topic has suddenly turned into one of those rants that belongs in the newly created Rants section.

• Members

I don't understand why so many people are bitching frankly. I haven't been on here all that long, and while I didn't like the change to VBulletin, I'm used to it now and it's cool. The only other Forum type sight I spent a lot of time on was the now dead Plastic.com. I missed it, but this place rocks. Hell I've met so many interesting people here and actually have had digital conversation with Freakin' Craig Anderton!

I love this joint, and I'll hang in until it craters like I did at Plastic.:rawk:

• Members

We can do anything to VBulletin that you want or need. Deciding if we could is not the issue, it's whether we should. If your request makes sense, we'll do it.

I keep asking people who post the general "this site sucks" rants what they want, and then they never take the time to tell us - but they do take the time to shoot bullets at us.

Super frustrating!

IMO. this topic has suddenly turned into one of those rants that belongs in the newly created Rants section.

CRAIG: I've found that sometimes putting periods "." at the end of a series of words, even if it isn't a sentence yet, helps tame the jumping-around-problem.

NUCLEUS: please don't dismiss the "this site sucks" complaint because it lacks specifics. There are easily 100 specific things or more that this site lacks that vBulletin or Xenforo has.

However, if you look at thriving forums, they're responsive and flow... you don't feel like you're fighting them as I feel like I'm fighting this one. this feels like a toy compared to those.

Getting too wrapped up in a detail here, a detail there, isn't really worth it (for me), so I don't do it any more. The flaws are too fundamental.

• Members
I don't understand why so many people are bitching frankly. I haven't been on here all that long, and while I didn't like the change to VBulletin, I'm used to it now and it's cool. The only other Forum type sight I spent a lot of time on was the now dead Plastic.com. I missed it, but this place rocks. Hell I've met so many interesting people here and actually have had digital conversation with Freakin' Craig Anderton!

I love this joint, and I'll hang in until it craters like I did at Plastic.:rawk:

Thank for the level set AlamoJoe! This is not the first time we've heard this from newcomers I figured the bitching is more of the case where people are being resistant to change and your post is another data point to prove this.

Thank you for sticking around, even through the bitch and moan sessions.

• Members

There is a workaround (as posted in the Nucleus Central forum)... Go to the end of the last paragraph in your composition and press the keyboard Enter key. This resets the editor so it behaves properly.

It does seem to appear regularly when quoting. We'll test that on Monday.

• Members

CRAIG: I've found that sometimes putting periods "." at the end of a series of words, even if it isn't a sentence yet, helps tame the jumping-around-problem.

NUCLEUS: please don't dismiss the "this site sucks" complaint because it lacks specifics. There are easily 100 specific things or more that this site lacks that vBulletin or Xenforo has.

However, if you look at thriving forums, they're responsive and flow... you don't feel like you're fighting them as I feel like I'm fighting this one. this feels like a toy compared to those.

Getting too wrapped up in a detail here, a detail there, isn't really worth it (for me), so I don't do it any more. The flaws are too fundamental.

This is VB - albeit VB5. BTW, please recall that VB4 choked on the mere size of HC and was no joy when it came to speed and loading times. We fixed that, and many other things, just for HC with GC gladly flipping the bill.

It's "not worth it" to spend some time helping the forum, but it is worth taking the time to trash it. Boggles the mind. Again... very frustrating.

• Members

Thank for the level set AlamoJoe! This is not the first time we've heard this from newcomers I figured the bitching is more of the case where people are being resistant to change and your post is another data point to prove this.

Thank you for sticking around, even through the bitch and moan sessions.

if you "figured the bitching is more of the case where people are being resistant to change" you would be wrong.

sure that exists, but most of this bitching, and my bitching, doesn't come from being resistant to change. that's a facile way techies dismiss valid criticism.

and now I'll press "Post Reply" and get a little box that says "working... " :D

• Members

sure that exists, but most of this bitching, and my bitching, doesn't come from being resistant to change. that's a facile way techies dismiss valid criticism.

Actually techies dismiss things that are not rooted in facts.

And now I'll press the submit button and "Working" will appear for 3-4 seconds instead of the greater than 10 seconds that it did before we measured it and fixed it. Not too bad of a wait for the posting function to index one of the largest forums on the web :cool11:

• Members

Actually techies dismiss things that are not rooted in facts.

And now I'll press the submit button and "Working" will appear for 3-4 seconds instead of the greater than 10 seconds that it did before we measured it and fixed it. Not too bad of a wait for the posting function to index one of the largest forums on the web :cool11:

facts:

I have been trying to reply to your post for a few minutes, but the system would not accept my response. I finally refreshed this page and see that "previously entered content was automatically saved." Woohoo! As I tried to reply (again), the cursor jumped to before your quote, and I had to redo it. To simply reply to you turned out to be a time consuming frustrating ordeal the likes of which I have never experienced on any other site.

My posting has gone way down here because it's simply too much of a struggle to post due to technical issues like the one I just experienced.

thousands of people who used to post here no longer do because it is a miserable posting experience, not because they are resistant to change.

• Members

Goobers: "but the system would not accept my response."

Nucleus: What exactly are you seeing with this? Screenshots or the text from the notifications box is very helpful. Please post this issue and your answer to the Community Voice: Bugs forum.

Goobers: "As I tried to reply (again), the cursor jumped to before your quote, and I had to redo it. To simply reply to you turned out to be a time consuming frustrating ordeal the likes of which I have never experienced on any other site."

Nucleus: We've posted the workaround to this issue in the Nucleus Central forum (going to the end of your post and pressing the enter button on the keyboard"). We also noticed that this seems to happen with inserted quotes, which gives us hope as to replicating and fixing it.

As a last note, this bug report is located in a Forum other than the Bug Reports forum and we would have to remember to track it here. It has a MUCH better chance of getting fixed if it is located in the place that we track bugs.

Also, think about how many people are distracted by this Topic being hashed out (and sticking at the top) in Craig's forum instead of it being located in a place dedicated to fixing bugs.

If you don't enter this into the bug forum, I'll do it for you. Moving forward, if you want us (Nucleus) to pay attention to your bug reports, feedback or rants, please enter them in the Community Voice forum. Otherwise Nucleus is contributing the biggest issue that exists on in HC... People hijacking forums with complaints. Moving forward the only way to be heard by the admin and technical staff will be to enter the issues and such where they belong in the Community Voice forums.

• Members
I suggest you dump some of the load on the database - how many reviews from 1999 are even relevant? How many posts about Tascam Porta01 are needed?

I have some thoughts on this, as well as future post of this sort, but it sticks deep in my craw to reply to this thread further as it only allows this topic to rise and stick to the top - in turn hijacking Craig's forum. I do hope he moves this Topic to the newly created feedback forum. On the chance that he doesn't I can not in good faith respond to this moving forward - with hopes that it sinks below the first page so that the topics about music can get the attention instead of tech, admin and future strategizing.

You'll find me and my thoughts over at the Community Voice forum. I'll see ya over there (hopefully).

• Members

...and we're continually veering away from suggestions as to how to regenerate activity. And I doubt that dumping old posts from 1999 would help achieve that.

~~~~~

What Might Make a Great Forum?

So just for fun, I'll post a link to a vibrant community which is based around a guitar teacher. This forum has been going on for years, doesn't glitch very much, and most importantly, has a fun, vibrant, creative, funny, intelligent community with people who don't constantly bitch and moan. There is no political forum or Open Jam in which it's a free-for-all with people threatening each other, being a-holes, trolling, continually telling each other to f*** off, or any of that. And it's a guitar teacher, not an enormous multi-national corporation.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/

It comes down to good administration, moderating and not letting spammers, trolls, idiots, a-holes, or others get the upper hand.

The technical issues are irritating, and to be sure, they've driven plenty of people away. But there was a giant issue beforehand, and to me, that was the far larger issue. The technical issues just kicked it to the curb.

Again, this is Keyboard Corner. Same comments as above. This is about good administration, organization and moderating and, sure, keeping the forum operating well.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/The_Keyboard_Corner

Who owns HC? Guitar Center? I wonder why any company would say, "Yeah, we run online forums that really show off who we really are. It's Harmony Central, home of Open Jam and The Political Forum, where people constantly fight, piss each other off, argue, drop f-bombs, threaten each other, spout inanities. We're trying to create the Black Hole of Intelligence. We want a place where civility and brains go to die. Anyway, please visit one of our stores to buy a guitar."

Yeah. Great.

So Nucleus, am I being negative (your words, not mine)?

One admin can look at this at me taking potshots at GC/HC. "Wow, uh, he keeps saying our forums are filled with morons and a-holes."

But another might say, "Okay, he's being forthright. He's told us why so many people left. He's left examples of really well-run forums, one of which doesn't even have a large budget. He's left examples of good, strong administration and moderating. Then he's come out and suggested that good administration and moderating is really what it takes to grow a thriving, creative, cool community. And he's given an example of how it should NOT be done and been specific with why. And he's done it several times. Hey, wow, that's pretty great!"

As always, YMMV.

• Members

Yeah, that works but why do we even have to go there?

• Members

Thanks from thankyou.

Having read a couple of Anderton's books, I was attracted to his corner of AOL, which we had just started using. Then one day, Craig announced he was going to the Web. I tried to get there, but AOL kept giving me a "You can't get there from here." Finally, we got a different ISP and I immediately found SSS at Music Player. This was just after 9/11. Stayed there until the summer of '05, when many of us came to HC. I remember just before that, Lee Flier had mentioned she sometimes hung out at one of the forums here, so I just checked it out. I tried the forum that seemed to sound most like Open Mic and went to OJ.

I came away feeling like there were maniacs who not only would invade your identity and ruin your credit, but try to molest your grandma. Well, something like that. But SSS and the Political Party (which was still in its infancy at MP) made the transition pretty well.

When I came here, HC wouldn't take my moniker, because it was associated with a defunct Hotmail account and I couldn't retrieve my password from that earlier foray into Open Jam.

So I just used the title from a song I was learning for some friends' wedding anniversary. I wasn't too upset about the moniker change, because those grandma-molesters scoundrels from OJ would have less of a chance to ruining my life.

edit: While writing this, I had the drifting courser several times, but I valiently forged through using the workaround tip from nucleus.

• Members

This is VB - albeit VB5. BTW, please recall that VB4 choked on the mere size of HC and was no joy when it came to speed and loading times. We fixed that, and many other things, just for HC with GC gladly flipping the bill.

It's "not worth it" to spend some time helping the forum, but it is worth taking the time to trash it. Boggles the mind. Again... very frustrating.

you're simply rejecting constructive criticism you don't like as "trashing"...

the issue isn't bugs here and there, it's the overall dismal performance. That's the mother of all bugs.

It simply needs to flow faster and better, so that people can "converse."

Otherwise, people simply won't put up with it... I barely do, most others don't and have left.

• Members

btw... i just tried to change pages and the page number changed but the actual page didn't change. Nucleus will now say or think I should write a report about it.. the problem is just about everything I do on this site incurs some sort of error. It's a constant fight on a dying forum, I can't devote my life to it, sorry :(

Archived