A pair of parlors?

Freeman Keller

• Members
Looking good' date=' Freeman. Would you recommend such a build for an 8 year old boy? I have a short scale paddle head neck. Also, what do you think of walnut as a choice? My friend had a local tree milled, quartered and stored several years ago and it's about ready to resaw into sets. .[/quote']

Many parlors, including these, have fairly wide necks and string spacing even tho they are shorter scale. I don't know if that would be a problem for a younger player and you could always make the neck narrower as required. Scale length can be 24.5 to 24.9 to get the bridge in the center of the lower bout.

I have no experience with walnut but people do build guitars out of it. LMI says it has "a crisp dry tone and a strong fundamental". They say it works well in all respects and once dry is very stable. My limited experience with parlors is that they are pretty boxy and mid sounding to start with, I don't know if you want to add more fundamental. But it certainly is a lovely wood and is very sustainable so I would say go for it as long as you know and trust how it was dried and stored.

One thing that I'm looking forward to with these two guitars is seeing if we can hear any differences between them. I do plan to post some blind clips for discussion. They are as identical as I can make them - the tops are from the same Lutz set and are the same thickness, everything else except the back and sides are the same. We will have the Braz and Mad rose to compare, but also my daughters guitar (which is the same size and bracing but is Sitka and EIR and is five or six years old so there are several differences).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This Singsong guy needs to find a different place to be rude and disrespectable. He's probably a child.

Have you chosen the hardware for these beauties? I'm assuming side tuners looking at the open headstock. What kind of nut and bridge material are you planning?

• Members
This Singsong guy needs to find a different place to be rude and disrespectable. He's probably a child.

Have you chosen the hardware for these beauties? I'm assuming side tuners looking at the open headstock. What kind of nut and bridge material are you planning?

That kind of behavior is more or less the norm at the electric side but we've mostly been spared here. If I had my way he would delete that post, but then he is new and probably just trying to impress us. (oh, edit to add, I just noticed that he has been banned)

Waverly slothead tuners, bridge will be ebony (to match the f/b) pyramid. When I did my daughters I cut down a belly bridge - it looks OK but I'm really partial to pyramid bridges - I think they look "correct" on this style of guitar. Nut, saddle and pins will be plain old cow bone - that is all I use. I have personal ethical conflicts with any kind of ivory, no matter how long its been dead and I really haven't found a modern material that I like any better than bone.

Eight coats on it now, starting to look like something. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of the finishing process in case anyone wants to watch paint drying....

• Members

As I promised, a couple of pictures of the finishing. Here they are after 8 coats - the one on the right has been sanded in preparation for the next coat

IMG_2881_zpswitb96py.jpg

Here are the necks outside (where I shoot the lacquer) after 12 coats

IMG_2882_zpssiisisgg.jpg

Back inside on the bench

IMG_2885_zpsubmm8bqj.jpg

and the bodies after 12 coats (not a great photo, sorry)

IMG_2884_zpsibpivhoi.jpg

I try to put on two or three coats per day, sanding back to 320 or 400 before the first one. Unfortunately the temperature and humidity have been all over the place lately which affects what I can do, as does my schedule. Twelve coats has gone thru two quarts of lacquer - I'm thinking that somewhere around 15 for the necks and maybe 18 or so for the bodies will be about right.

• Members
Beautiful Job Freeman! What do you reckon something like this costs to build?

That is a good question, but not for these guitars. Typically the materials for an acoustic will cost me in the $3-500 range for typical spruce, mahogany and/or EI rosewood. Finish can run from $50 to 100, and I typically buy tuners for around $75. A good case for a standard size guitar is $100-150 (a custom case can run 300). So for an ordinary acoustic guitar the total cost can be somewhere from $500 to 800 or so. (The electrics that I have built have run in the $1K range for materials but then I'm a bit of a wood slut)

These are special guitars. I did not buy the wood and ordinarily would not use either Madagascar or Brazilian rosewood (for a lot of reasons, including cost). My friend brought me the two sets - he bought them somewhere on the internet, probably evil-bay, and I don't know what he paid for them. I see Mad rose sets at lutherie supply houses for $600+, I'm going to guess that he paid at least twice that for the Braz. I went all out on some of the other mateirals - Lutz spruce, Waverly tuners (at $150 a set) and I might have to buy custom cases - lets just say that probably the materials for the Mad rose guitar could be $1500, the Braz $2K.

• Members

I have so much AAA Brazilian and other exotic woods that I hoarded up back in the early 1990's. The idea was to have all this wood for my retirement but I'm starting to realize that I'm probably not going to go through it all in my lifetime. I have about 60 BRW sets and probably another 60 of koa, Indian, mahogany, African blackwood etc....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The guitars have been hanging in the shop for the past 3 weeks - time to buff 'em out and finish things up. I was pretty happy with the lacquer - each time I finish a guitar it seems to be a little better. I think I ended up with 19 coats - kind of lost track there. Went thru 3 quarts of lacquer for the two guitars and I measured a little chip that I took off one of the hangers at 8 or 9 mils. The whole idea here is to put on enough to be able to buff it back without going thru the finish, but not too thick so it looks like plastic.

Didn't take many pictures of the buffing process. The last coat I sprayed really thin and it flowed very nicely - those were the pictures in my last posting. Its kind of a shame to have to sand that back since it is pretty smooth and shiny, but its got to be done. Starting with 1200 grit and going up to 2000 it looks like the guitar on the right. The one on the left hasn't been sanded yet

IMG_2910_zpsocekl04j.jpg

Here they are again, the one in the background has been sanded to 2000. The one in the foreground has been buffed with white compound on a pedestal wheel, I'll go over it a couple more times with fine compound, then finally swirl remover.

IMG_2911_zpspblmgvid.jpg

That's all the pictures of the buffing - sorry.

Next I put the necks on and started laying out the bridge location - side to side and scale length with a little compensation

IMG_2912_zpsvigoyfm4.jpg

After all the work to get the lacquer perfectly shiny now its time to scrape some off. I use a paint stripper to soften it, it pretty much comes right off with a chisel (you can get some idea how thick it is). Oh, the blue tape is the size of the bridge, the green tape gives me about an 1/8 inch of finish remaining under it. That way I don't run the risk of having the bare wood appear at the edge

IMG_2914_zpskxa9cuqk.jpg

Clamped the bridge on and drilled two pin holes, these will be used with the infamous KBK Bridge Caul to locate the bridge while clamping

IMG_2915_zpsw0oc99do.jpg

Bridge in place and nice squeeze out

IMG_2916_zpspvr9jw8u.jpg

And cleaned up.

IMG_2917_zpsz2g6kiti.jpg

I broke down and bought two more of those Ibex deep clamps - they are expensive but really work well. I had a couple of cheapies that frustrated me every time I used them. I seem to be doing a fair number of bridge reglues so they will pay for themselves.

Last thing, while the lacquer was curing I ordered two nice little TKL cases. Its always a relief when the guitar fits perfectly

IMG_2918_zpsb7bkhyjw.jpg

• Members

Time for the neck to go on. Clean the lacquer off the top under the fretboard extension

IMG_2913_zpsh78eahbn.jpg

and put a relatively small amount of glue under the extension. I want to be able to get if off if and when the neck needs resetting

IMG_2920_zpsaubkajbs.jpg

Bolt it on and clamp down the extension

IMG_2922_zpsrwucei5u.jpg

Before we go any farther its time to put labels in them. Serial number 15 and 16 - they say it takes about 30 guitars before you can call yourself a "luthier". I'm half way there. The dates are from when I started them - been working on this for a while LOL

IMG_2946_zpsylz43kfv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

When we last met we had just glued the necks and bridges on. I actually pulled one of the necks back off - it was a hair under set and while I could probably live with it in reality I couldn't. Neck came off, did a little flossing and put it back on

IMG_2956_zpsqjdxiuuq.jpg

Happy with that I reamed the pin holes

IMG_2948_zpstsbacjmq.jpg

I'm using unslotted bone pins so I need to slot the bridge

IMG_2957_zpsfqx6sgx7.jpg

Make a nut - you've seen all of this before

IMG_2952_zpsonkzlv0u.jpg

My wife hates the smell of burning bone. This is also a good way to trim your nails....

IMG_2953_zpsnvxhddlb.jpg

the usual steps

IMG_2954_zpss5imbud3.jpg

IMG_2955_zpsqemsssno.jpg

IMG_2959_zpshknitomy.jpg

IMG_2962_zps380tmuns.jpg

Made a couple of saddles

IMG_2964_zpsqsrv7uyz.jpg

The actions are set just a hair high - its easier to lower it than raise it back up. Take them in the house, open a nice tall adult beverage and welcome the new babies to the collection.

I'll call my friend and tell him to come pick up his, but I want a couple of days with it first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow. I just read through this entire thread. Freeman, they are beautiful. I can't wait to hear the sound clips you had mentioned when you post them. Do you have pics of the other guitars you've built? Are they anywhere on the site if so? That is truly a thing of beauty.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Archived