Planned gear purchases for '15?

hellion_213

• Members

Either a Classic Player Jazzmaster or a Tele w/a tremolo bar and a Jazzmaster neck pick-up in it -- a Telemaster! Of course, I'd need an amp for it, something good for Surf, Spaghetti Western and sliding unvoiced Jazz chords w/tremolo.

Leaning toward a Tele in that configuration.It's lightweight and cases are cheaper and easy to find.

I want a Jazzmaster sound in a Telecaster body.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Either a Classic Player Jazzmaster or a Tele w/a tremolo bar and a Jazzmaster neck pick-up in it -- a Telemaster! Of course, I'd need an amp for it, something good for Surf, Spaghetti Western and sliding unvoiced Jazz chords w/tremolo.

Leaning toward a Tele in that configuration.It's lightweight and cases are cheaper and easy to find.

I want a Jazzmaster sound in a Telecaster body.

​Keep in mind, a lot of the Jazzmaster's unique sound comes from the bridge and vibrato system. That being said, I think Telemasters are pretty cool. And of course Fender amps are the way to go for a Surf/Western sound. That lush reverb and tremolo is where it's at.

• Members
I've always dug a Bigsby, thought about throwing one on my next build guitar. :thu:

FWIW, I put one of those GuitarFetish bigsby types on an Epi Dot, along with a roller bridge. The latter took some filing of the post holes to get it to fit properly, but once it was on it worked great. You could dump the trem all the way and bring it back up to pitch on a consistent basis. Ended up trading the Dot just because I didn't like the huge body.

As for what to purchase this year, I'm still undecided. Probably going to buy a decent condenser mic for recording, and possibly something at the Dallas show this summer. I've got enough builds going now, and sometimes it's nice to have somebody else do the building for me.

• Members

The Seagull Artist Studio CW I mentioned has a 1.8" nut, no idea what the saddle measures. It's in your price range: http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Artist.../dp/B003C80SEK. The Taylor 410 has a 1.75" nut and back and sides of ovangkol, which is tonally similar to rosewood: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/410G. It's a bit over your price range though so you'd need to find a used one.

I've had Seagulls and while good guitars, lack bass response, IMO and they seen to not have the ability to lower the action to much with probability of a neck reset in the near future. Time and time again, if you get a long level ruler and lay it along the fretboard, it should line up right at the top of the bridge and all the ones I've played line up in the middle. I don't know why but break angle is already at a minimum, even when new.

As for Taylors, good guitars again but pencil thin necks.

Thanks for trying though.

• Members

Knotty- yeah, sometimes the GAS strikes unexpectedly,

Mr temp - I'll keep that in mind, I like GFS stuff. I have a GFS Floyd sitting around right now. Have you looked at MXL? Unsure of your budget, but I really dig those.

Pine Apple - reworking this year, awesome man!

cranach - not sure if youre serious or not, but if your serious, hell yeah man

• Members

I've had Seagulls and while good guitars, lack bass response, IMO and they seen to not have the ability to lower the action to much with probability of a neck reset in the near future. Time and time again, if you get a long level ruler and lay it along the fretboard, it should line up right at the top of the bridge and all the ones I've played line up in the middle. . . .

You're right, that's a sign it needs a neck reset, which shouldn't be happening on a new or newish guitar. I have an old Norlin era Epi I originally bought on eBay for our daughter and a ruler still hits maybe 1/16" below the top of the bridge.

12 fret guitars often have chunky necks but they're also mostly 000 or smaller bodies. Martin makes some 12 fret dreads you'd probably like but they're not cheap. Another possibility is a 12-string, with or without half the strings removed. Of course, getting something in spruce/rosewood is only going to narrow the field.

• Members

You're right, that's a sign it needs a neck reset, which shouldn't be happening on a new or newish guitar. I have an old Norlin era Epi I originally bought on eBay for our daughter and a ruler still hits maybe 1/16" below the top of the bridge.

12 fret guitars often have chunky necks but they're also mostly 000 or smaller bodies. Martin makes some 12 fret dreads you'd probably like but they're not cheap. Another possibility is a 12-string, with or without half the strings removed. Of course, getting something in spruce/rosewood is only going to narrow the field.

Funny you mentioned the Martin, I have a 12 fret solid mahogany Martin dread, and may just have to find another in rosewood and spruce. I've got 12-56's on it so you can imagine the bass response I'm getting. It's nice but hey, big tax return coming, what are you going to do? :D

• Members
more odd and "off sounding" sound effects pedals...the more weird, strange and just plain annoying, the better...to me...

Last night's jam with a couple of guys made me think we could do a late-60s garage/psychedelic thing. I'm currently looking for the absolute worst fuzz circuits so I can make them even worse and put them into a convenient package.

Sometimes, things are so bad they're good ;)

• Members
Funny you mentioned the Martin, I have a 12 fret solid mahogany Martin dread, and may just have to find another in rosewood and spruce. . . . hey, big tax return coming, what are you going to do? :D

You've described the HD-28VS. Very nice guitar. Unfortunately, they sell for $3500 new so that better be a big tax refund. The Larrivée SD-03R should work at around $2,000 but they're not easy to find: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-14460.htm.

Archived