Using higher capo positions

Chordite

• Members

Just to say I am enjoying using the capo up around the 6th/7th fret. That seems to be the point at which the sound goes beyond a mere pitch change and the guitar begins to feel like a different instrument.

I am using a Shubb capo which I am very pleased with.

• Members
I've mentioned this before but I have trouble with capo's... It's as if the pitch is always compromised. And yes' date=' I've experimented with this. Maybe I'm just too fussy.[/quote']

I'm assuming your intonation is accurate and that you're using a good capo with adjustable tension. Some folks just don't like the sound with a capo. Personally, I dislike the sound on an acoustic above maybe the 4th fret. Part of this is that acoustics have poorer intonation than a properly set up electric. BTW, I also have a Shubb. Had it for years and I love it. It wasn't cheap but a good capo makes a world of difference compared to a cheap one.

• Members

"Here Comes the Sun" is one of Harrison's best-known Beatles contributions alongside "Something" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." The year 1969 was difficult for Harrison: he had quit the band temporarily, he was arrested for marijuana possession, and he had his tonsils removed.

Harrison stated in his autobiography, I, Me, Mine:

"Here Comes the Sun" was written at the time when Apple was getting like school, where we had to go and be businessmen: 'Sign this' and 'sign that.' Anyway, it seems as if winter in England goes on forever, by the time spring comes you really deserve it. So one day I decided I was going to sag off Apple and I went over to Eric Clapton's house. The relief of not having to go see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric's acoustic guitars and wrote "Here Comes the Sun."[1]

As Clapton states in his autobiography, the house in question is known as "Hurtwood." When interviewed in the Martin Scorsese documentary George Harrison: Living in the Material World, Clapton said he believed the month was April. Data from two meteorological stations in the London area show that April 1969 set a record for sunlight hours for the 1960s. The Greenwich station recorded 189 hours for April, a high that was not beaten until 1984. The Greenwich data also shows that February and March were much colder than the norm for the 1960s, which would account for Harrison's reference to a "long, cold, lonely winter."[2]

• Members

BillyBilly - just a request: please do not comment on posts as you have above in response to onelife and instead make a new post and quote him. I would like to "like" your great post or quote it, but this is not possible as it is "just" a comment.

• 6 years later...

Archived