How long did it take you to find "the" strings?

DeepEnd

• Members

I used D'addario .009s and .010s for years. Switched to Ernie Ball because in a ten pack they offer two free sets. I found they went dead much quicker than the D'addarios. I switched back. I use .095s on my 'bucker guitars and .009s on my Fender guitars.

• Members
I wish I had done the baggie thing on my last big order. I now have about 10 sets of DR Sunbeams that have rust spots all over them and are useless after 6 months. They seem to be the worst for it and I've had new sets that have a bit of rust. My permanent solution is that I no longer use DR strings. D'Addario' date=' Elixir, and Cleartones from now on.[/quote']

I have a couple dozen packaged sets and another couple dozen bulk (12 per gauge) sets and whenever I find a spotted one I rub the rust off with 600 sandpaper and use it. Sanding gets the scabbiness and they sound fine. Never had a problem with the wounds.

• Members
I bought a couple boxes of $.99 string packs a couple years ago from Sam Ash during a blowout sale.

These will last me until I'm about 80 years old.

Those were great strings IMO, but alas I've gone through my two boxes. For me I guess I'm just not that fussy as long as they're tens. I also love the Musicians Friend brand strings (two bucks a set last I checked). Also use D'addarios and DRs quite a bit. Not all that impressed with the EBs I used years ago - can't remember why. Once bought a budget brand at GC, Dr Duck I think - worst string ever.

• Members
I'm still looking, although I have been at this guitar thing for less than a year. My dot can get a little muddled on the low strings, so I started looking for strings with a stronger, more defined low end. I just bought 10 sets of Gretch 10-48 for $15, so hope I like them, although I haven't put them on yet since I had just changed my strings and I don't feel the need to change more than every month or so. (currently on d'addario XLs). In the queue are also regular 10-46 boomers and a David Gilmour set (thinner high end, thicker low end strings). My Nighthawk is currently equipped with regular slinkies, and they do me just fine.

I finally broke down and bought a set of Elixirs also, but haven't tried them yet. Did I mention I'm reluctant to spend more than 5 bucks a set (really targeting more like $3.50).

I use these on my dot and like the tones it gives me. http://www.juststrings.com/sit-s946.html The strings are stiffer then D'Addarios and feel more like 10's but they do have 10's too http://www.juststrings.com/sit-s1046.html

I like them because they do stay in tune well, take allot of abuse and keep their tone for a long time

• Members

I've been using GHS boomers for about 3 years now & have no complaints. I'm a little picky about string gauges though so I get 2 sets at a time...

I use their "mediums" (11-15-18-26-36-50) & their "thin/thick" set (10-13-17-30-44-52).

I put 11-15-18-30-44-52 on my Jaguars & put 10-13-17-26-36-50 on my 24 3/4 scale guitars (gotten rid of all my 25 1/2 scales as I didn't bond with them).

btw- when I had a strat I had the same problem with intonation on one of my strings, so I just removed the spring behind the saddle & it solved the problem.

• Members

Could just remove the spring and see if that's enough. Hendrix had one of his saddle springs in the case when they checked out his white strat.

Alas, when I remove the spring and take the saddle back as far as it will go, the saddle and base plate act as a pair of scissors and trap the string. That's one more step when it comes time to change strings and something else to undo (like unblocking the trem) if I ever sell the guitar. That's why I'd need to lengthen the slot in the saddle.

I do wish I could settle on something; I don't always buy strings in bulk but I've bought 3-packs of Ernie Ball acoustic strings on occasion. My GHS Boomers cost me $6.98 shipped on eBay for a single set. Guitar Center doesn't carry them and neither did any of three mom and pops. I haven't tried GHS strings in years and those were for acoustic.

• Members
All the guitar centers near me (3 of them within a 15 minute drive in North Jersey) carry them. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Yes, Guitar Center carries GHS Boomers but the one near me doesn't carry them in that gauge, .010-.038. Same with Go Music and Music Folk, a couple of local mom and pops. David's Guitar Loft doesn't carry GHS at all. I confess I didn't think to try Eddie's Guitars or Acme Guitars but those are about the only places I didn't try. You always get a heaping side of attitude at Eddie's and Acme specializes in vintage instruments so they may not have been interested in just selling a set of strings. I could've used "ship to store" with the Guitar Center web site but I rarely get near Guitar Center so it would have been a special trip. Guitar Center is on the way home from the dealership where I bought my car so I stop there after I have the car serviced, otherwise I go to a mom and pop. eBay was a bit more money than Guitar Center but less time and gas. juststrings.com would have been even more due to their higher shipping.

Perhaps if you got a thicker E string it would intonate correctly...

Unfortunately, it's just the opposite. Intonation compensation is based on the diameter of the core wire. A thinner wire requires less compensation, which is why I thought a .038 might work. I guess I could get a set of .008's or .009's and replace the low E with a .036 or .034 but that might be pretty floppy.

Someone else made another suggestion I hadn't thought of yet. I tuned my guitar so all the strings are in tune at the 7th fret and it sounds okay. Not perfect but better.

• Members

On my accoustic guitars I uses Martin Marquis. These have served me well for almost 40 years of accoustic playing on a dozen different 6 and 12 string guitars. As far as the electrics go, I've been using DRs for the last few years and they seem fine on my LP and Epi Sheridan. My Tele has GHS rockets that I've been trying to use up after buying a 10 pack special at GC. I Think I only have one set left. Don't really like them but I just can't throw them away.

• Members
On my accoustic guitars I uses Martin Marquis. These have served me well for almost 40 years of accoustic playing on a dozen different 6 and 12 string guitars. As far as the electrics go' date=' I've been using DRs for the last few years . . .[/quote']

I like Martin acoustic strings too. But on acoustics I set up for friends I use DR's because they have a reputation for lasting a long time for an uncoated string and I don't know how long they'll be on the guitar. Electrics I set up for friends usually get d'Addario's or occasionally Dean Markleys. Most folks aren't as persnickety as I am, which is probably a good thing.

• Members

I gig 4 times a month & I go through 1 set of strings a night at a gig.

My hands sweat like you wouldn't believe...MY HANDS SWEAT REALLY BAD !!!

I usually get 90 minutes of actual playing time on a set of strings.

Then they go dead & start feeling AND playing like {censored}.

My sting of choice was & has been Daddariio XL 10-46. I've used these for 25 years.

Lately I've been using Elixer's. They last longer because they're coated.

They last longer ...sure....but they start "losing tone" after about a week.

I'm still looking for "the right strings".......

• Members

Been using D'Addario EXL110 (10-46) for decades on the electric solid bodies. Tried dean Markley, but got a bad batch once where the A strings were dead, and Markley ignored me, so no more for me.

On the semi hollows, I use the D'Addario EXL115 (11-50) or THomastik-Infeld JS111 (11-47)

On the jazz box's, ALWAYS the JS111.

On the few acoustics, I tend to use the Martin Silk and steels, (10-47 I think). Yes, they lose that brightness after a month or two, but on the plus side? they lose the brightness after a month or two, and just sound warm.

• Members

It took me a few years, but I finally just bought a huge stock of Ernie Ball regular and power slinkys. The regulars go onto my Strat, and the Powers go onto my Gibsons. Works for me. They don't break, they sound great, and the feel really good, compared to the cheapies I used to buy when I was younger.

Archived