Five you like and Five you hate

Chordite

• Members

I agree!

LIKE: 1) Electric guitar. I really dig sustaining, melodic, 'soaring' lead tones. 2) Pedal steel guitar. Yeah, I know a lot of people find the sound irritating. I owned a cheap one for a few months, but sold it - it was just creating GAS for a "real" PSG and you can't touch one for less than $1,000, new or used. I'm not really a country fan either. It's a fascinating and unusual instrument, I'd love to have another one someday. 3) Moog Synthesizer - Wendy (Walter) Carlos' "Switched on Bach" still has some of the most amazing and organic sounding synth tones I've ever heard. 4) THE HAMMOND ORGAN You haven't lived until you hear one with the big Leslie speaker in a LIVE setting. The sound whirls around you in a way no stereo recording can adequately capture. 5) [[[[[bASS))))) . So satisfying, like biting into a big thick steak. Honorable mention to: Wurlitzer electric piano: dirtier and more organic sounding than a Rhodes. DON'T LIKE 1) Saxophone (I let one of my grade school buddies talk me into playing sax in school band, instead of drums. big mistake). 2) Scratchy, screechy "fiddle" - Dave Matthew's band is big offender here. 3) Bad 70's synth leads. "Wings" was especially bad, even Sir Paul admitted as much in an interview. 4) The ubiquitous DX7 electric piano patch. 80's power ballads, bleah! 5) The slide guitar opening on Freebird. Must be a Peavey combo inside a cardboard box. Distortion without sustain. smiley-indifferent Poor intonation too, gives it that sour, wailing cat sound. I sort of like those cheesy 80's syndrums, the fills sound like "douche da douche douche douche da da douche douche. pa-peeeeww!"

6309fb96b42092c428b2539c8fa85cb8.jpg.877386e44dee6e6febdc0376607ad79c.jpg

• Members

When I chose trombone as my school band instrument, I thought it would be easier than an instrument that required fingerings. I have bad hand-eye coordination because of my exotropia. I found that the positions were easy enough, but I found playing boring and underwhelming. I learned some good music theory and bass clef for when I joined the high school chorus class, but it has a very uninspiring sound. It's between a baritone and a trumpet... Baritone probably has more useful qualities.

I should've played trumpet or joined the drum line.

• Members
Trombone (are there ANY examples of a trombone being a good addition to a track?)
It's funny. I think the trombone is the one instrument where former band geeks have the most fun in rock, pop, and R&B music. You see it all the time with working bands. There's a lot of trombone in Van Morrison, Wings (including a solo on Let 'Em In), Earth, Wind and Fire, and Blood, Sweat and Tears songs ...

• Members

I guess there aren't a lot of Dropkick Murphy's fans here.

Love:

Cello

Tenor Sax

Fretless Bass

Can really think of an instrument that I hate.

I hate the overuse of Lap\Pedal Steel in most country. But tastefully used in some songs is good.

Even Xylophone can sound good in moderation.

Can't really think of anything annoying. Which is odd because I've been annoyed all week.

• Members
I think the trombone can be super cool... go and listen to some New Orleans music... Trombone Shorty...

I did not know anything about the music of Shorty, until I saw a performance of his on AXStx last year at the NO Jazz festival. I would not have thought it possible, but a trombone player absolutely rocked a crowd of 100,000 ...

• Members

I was there.

I did not know anything about the music of Shorty, until I saw a performance of his on AXStx last year at the NO Jazz festival. I would not have thought it possible, but a trombone player absolutely rocked a crowd of 100,000 ...

• Members

Likes;

1980's Jacksons guitars

1980's Kramer guitars

Gibson / Epiphone

Fender / Squire

Guitar kits I order and assemble

Hates :

Hates no instrument ( can give me a new angle on my playing)

poor quality guitars

bad customer service from guitar companies

bad customer service from a music store

pushy sales people that don't know what they are talking about

• Members

I like the mandolin and I play a bit but my hands are 'way too big for that little teeny neck

I don't hate banjos 'cause I know what it takes to play one well. I play but badly.

Bagpipes are okay in context.

Can't think of a fourth one

Can't think of a fifth one either

I hate out of tune electric guitars (some older stuff in particular)

I hate bands/songs where the vocals are unintelligible (SNL, any random talk show)

I also don't care for juice harps--plenty of company

I like violins but I can only take fiddles in small doses ("Standing Outside The Fire" by Garth Brooks sets my teeth on edge)

Again, can't think of a fifth one

• Members

6a00d834ff890853ef01348742d82e970c-300wi

Sorry I just don't see any purpose for bagpipes

except as an instrument of torture.

I've already warned my wife that if i die first do not

have bagpipes at my funeral or I'll find someway to

walk out in the middle of it.

• Members

Ok, I'll jump in here.

Done right, anything can be either amazing or horrendous. But in general, here's what I like (other than guitar, which is a given) and dislike.

Clarinet - love that mellow, airy sound. So cool!

Drums - I play, too, and sometimes the drummer makes or breaks it for me.

Bagpipes - yeah, I think they sound way cool.

Violin - beautiful instrument!

Piano/keyboard - how can you not like it?

Dislike

Lap steel - in general, I don't like it, though there are many exceptions

Harmonica - kind of a limited instrument, so I usually like this in small doses

Computer effects - now sometimes they can be great, but sparingly please!

Can't think of any more!

Archived