What matters more, guitar or amp??

Iwak Kobong

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amp is at least 50% of your electronic tone. Take your guitar and play through several amps and notice just how the sound changes. Funny enough, I tend to sound similar even when I play on different guitars. Probably because we tend to adjust the guitar to the sound in our heads, but the amp really has it's own character. Not that guitars don't have different personalities, but the sound in the guitar comes mostly from your hands and attack/muting. That's why I own more amps than guitars. Different sizes and power ratings for different gigs. Sometimes you need a solid state for the acoustic and a few different tube amps for jazz, blues and rock and funk gigs! So many great amps are available today....

• Members

With my old set up (the trashy ass Crate G600...), a srat and an SG, my crazy teeny bopper ass popped about every sound from Sultans of Swing, Bold as Love, Band offer Gypsies, Black Sabbath I-4, and Van Halen I etc...with a handful of good pedals (oh man that old Zoom Driver with the built in noise gate was bad ass), some imagination, and good old fashioned TEENAGE level ENTHUSIASM... Don't EVER forget the last factor! I was just reading through all the posts and mine and couldnt help but think that too many of us are jaded -- maybe SPOILED? -- by the nice gear we've accumulated (in many case, HOARDED!). I'm thinking back to when I had to work my ass off and practically drop LSD (nice a good idea...kiddies...!) to get all the sounds I wanted to make with less, and, call me crazy, I'm getting a little misty eyed.

• Members

Hello all, long time reader and first post! I've been an acoustic player for a while now, just recently gotten into electric about 3 years ago. I have been experimenting with rig set ups since day one. Started with an Epi Les Paul Ultra 3 and a Fender Mustang V stack. Personally I did not like the sound of either when I got them into a band setting. Moved on to a mim tele standard and a new Deluxe Reverb RI with some pedals. It was the most shrill sound I have ever heard. I did every possible configuration (minus pickup swapping) and it did not help at all. I then bought a new American Standard Strat and a Reason Bambino Grande 1x12. It sound good, not great, but good. I had a hell of a tone that sounded like nothing I could try and mimic with a SS amp. The problem was that I was in a cover band at the time and I could not get an awesome sounding tone for any of the songs we played. The overdrive (whether it was natural or pedal driven) was very muddy (in a nice way), the cleans were not at all bright (I was still learning about tube amps), and the only OD pedal that sounded awesome with it was the OCD. Another problem was that while my Tele's sounded good through it, my Strat sounded "meh". I then picked up the J Mascics Jazzmaster (Squier) and fell in love with it. It really is a hell of a guitar at $400. I had a local pickup builder (EastGrove) make me some custom pickups for it and it is now my go-to guitar. It plays better than my Nash T-63, American strat, other Tele's, etc. I have since then bought, sold, and traded gear and have finally found some satisfying sounds. Picked up a Goodsell custom 33 head with the matching 2x12 cab that is badass. I match it with any of my guitars and I am never disappointed. Sounds great with the OCD pedal and sounds amazing with a Zendrive pedal. So I guess what I am getting at is that I have been through a handful of amps, and a few guitars. My cheapest guitar sounds amazing through a well-designed and pricier amp than it did through a Fender DRRI. I will always choose a better amp over a "better" guitar. I find it to be more productive, and cost-effective, to buy a cheaper guitar and swap pickups to help achieve the tone you are searching for. I don't feel as guilty if I spend $200 on pickups to try out, as opposed to a $1200 amp to try out. I also don't have the cash flow for it.

• Members

You can get acceptable tones with great amp/crappy guitar with some tweaking but you can not get great tones with great guitar/crappy amp (think a solid state transistor Crate from the 80's or something like that). The ideal is to have everything great (great guitar player, great amp, great guitar) but between great amp/crappy guitar and great guitar/crappy amp great amp/crappy guitar wins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm going to answer the question as asked, instead of hipstering my way out of it with a cop out answer about the player mattering more (that was in the OP anyway).

I'm blessed to own a wonderful old LP Custom. This thing sings in your hands. Through my JCM900 (pre-marriage), it sounded beautiful. My Epiphone Special II sounded pretty decent. I sold the JCM, bought a Fender Blues Jr., and had similar results (If you get one of these, you also want a telecaster, or at least I did). I sold the Blues Jr, since I wasn't playing in public anymore, and picked up a cheap modeling amp in a pawn shop for $100. Now, my LP Custom sounds pretty unremarkable. Can't wait to get into my new house and overcorrect by buying a JVM410. :D

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with those who said that both are important. Electric guitar is nothing without an amp, and an amp is nothing without a instrument to plug into it. They work together as a system, and the system is only as good as its weakest component. Plug in a cheap intermittent cable and see how bad both guitar and amp suddenly sound...

Of course, a truly great player can coax beautiful music out of equipment that would appear to be rather junky, and that mere mortals would have a hard time getting a passable sound out of... David Lindley comes to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived