Please Harmony Central....PLEASE remove the sidebar ads.

Steve2112

• Members
Cut Steve2112 some slack. He may be looking at the site on a small monitor or an iPad or iPhone or the like. We are working still on the adaptive technology. The vB site is adaptive, but our content side has not been fully optimized to work "adaptively" with vB's adaptive format.

Once complete the site will look the same across all devices that you call Harmony Central up on.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Thanks

D

That you very much for replying to my concern. I'm actually on a large monitor Acer G235. Now...I admit I could have a few unoptimized settings...but I didn't have this problem until recently. You can see the Print Screen pic....It's literally more than half of my 24 inch screen. I've got more than 1/3 on the right side and 1/4 screen on the left either ads, reviews or totally dead real estate. Squeezed int he middle is the main reason I am here- on this page. Something isn't right. There's no balance going on here. If I want reviews or columns...those are very easy to find on the main page. Or even along the top of any page.

If there is some kind of setting I need to know about....I'm listening.

And sorry if I came off strong. I should have made a suggestion request. I'm sorry, maybe we can edit the title.

• Members

That you very much for replying to my concern. I'm actually on a large monitor Acer G235. Now...I admit I could have a few unoptimized settings...but I didn't have this problem until recently. You can see the Print Screen pic....It's literally more than half of my 24 inch screen. I've got more than 1/3 on the right side and 1/4 screen on the left either ads, reviews or totally dead real estate. Squeezed int he middle is the main reason I am here- on this page. Something isn't right. There's no balance going on here. If I want reviews or columns...those are very easy to find on the main page. Or even along the top of any page.

If there is some kind of setting I need to know about....I'm listening.

And sorry if I came off strong. I should have made a suggestion request. I'm sorry, maybe we can edit the title.

That might be a browser issue. I know when I switched IP providers awhile back I had to download their updates to properly resize their web pages to my monitor. Without the updates I'd have a square page on a rectangular screen with white towards either side.

The other possibility might be your monitor driver/settings. I loose about 3.75" of screen on my work computer which has 16" square monitor. At home I have a 24" X 16 monitor and I loose the same 3.5", not 1/3 of the screen. In my case I have to use the proper HP driver so web pages resize properly.

If I was running a Generic or default monitor setting, the screen would be totally different. It would look stretched to the sides and I would have 1/3 of the screen blocked by adds. So in my case it was a combination of monitor screen sizing and having the correct IP updates so the screen would fill the entire screen.

Maybe its one or both of these issues people are having. If we had a consensus on what people are using it might narrow down the issue.

I been using AT&T for a provider and Internet explorer running win 7 or Vista and I'm OK

• Members

The ads don't bother me and sometimes I click on them. They gotta keep the lights on after all and coming here costs me nuttin'. Cool folks to hang out with, interesting articles, lots of resources...

Just think of it as a public park...And yeah maybe the Hot Dog guy is over there tryin' to sell some dogs..But ya ain't gotta buy any...He's just there, and he really isn't much of an intrusion. You can still enjoy the park....

• Members

I don't mind them on a computer but I do most of my browsing on a phone and they get moved to the top and I have to scroll down several pages before I see the posts. That's very annoying. I don't mind ads on a free forum, but it would be nice of they weren't so much in the way.

• Members
Someone suggested the powers that be link up with Tapatalk so you could access HC from that app' date=' which would greatly improve mobile user experience. So admin deleted that thread as far as I can tell.[/quote']

Yeah, I'd really like to know how this thread survived (no offense, OP) and my Tapatalk thread got killed.

Someone suggested the powers that be link up with Tapatalk so you could access HC from that app' date=' which would greatly improve mobile user experience. So admin deleted that thread as far as I can tell.[/quote']

I'm not sure if one of the other admins deleted it or not - I didn't.

As far as the mobile thing, the latest I heard from the folks at Nucleus is that it's something they're looking into. They know there are some issues for mobile / tablet users, they have some ideas, and want to do it right. I'm not sure if Tapatalk is the way they're going to go or not. You'd need to ask them.

As far as the ads, yes, we have to run some to help pay the bills... but they're all music-gear related, and they're supposed to be applicable to the specific forums - you shouldn't see a bunch of keyboard-related ads here, and the KSS forum won't see a bunch of electric guitar ads. Also, take a look - it's not just ads that are being served up - it's articles, news and reviews too. Again, all of which should be relevant to the individual forums. That's stuff you may want to glance at occasionally, because you might find it interesting. :)

• Members

Yeah, I'd really like to know how this thread survived (no offense, OP) and my Tapatalk thread got killed.

No offense taken. I would no object of "they" deleted it. I never saw your taptalk thread.

Thing is...I might have a valid point. For example...this board is free too: http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154

I realize there are differences...but I don't think it's necessary to have the actual board content less than half of the screen....even on a free board. There are TONS AND TONS of free boards without the ad space...and wasted real estate when you scroll down the thread. It's ad bananza uptop and a huge empty space down low. Something is messed up.

I fully understand that I could have submitted a request in a more civil manner. I wouldn't mind it they deleted the thread and I resubmit. But...maybe they keep it up for a reason. I wouldn't worry about NOT looking bad if I were you.

• Members

I'm not sure if one of the other admins deleted it or not - I didn't.

As far as the mobile thing, the latest I heard from the folks at Nucleus is that it's something they're looking into. They know there are some issues for mobile / tablet users, they have some ideas, and want to do it right. I'm not sure if Tapatalk is the way they're going to go or not. You'd need to ask them.

As far as the ads, yes, we have to run some to help pay the bills... but they're all music-gear related, and they're supposed to be applicable to the specific forums - you shouldn't see a bunch of keyboard-related ads here, and the KSS forum won't see a bunch of electric guitar ads. Also, take a look - it's not just ads that are being served up - it's articles, news and reviews too. Again, all of which should be relevant to the individual forums. That's stuff you may want to glance at occasionally, because you might find it interesting. :)

Yep...I see. As I said before..the site is designed well enough that the content is easy to find even if it's not inside threads. The emails you send out are awesome...the website is well designed to find whatever you need. My message board...on the other hand....is squeezed. Lots of empty space. I'm not actually mad about it lol....it's just...well wasted space. Not that I want to see more ads there, I should just tell you what I see without the beechiness. :)

So...put the ads and linked content there...but when the ads and content link run out...go ahead and expand the thread messages across the page.

• Members

What annoys me about the ads is this.

On a mobile they flick to the top and you have to scroll through them without accidentaly selecting one. Worst of all is that you think they have settled and loaded, then just as you click a thread it all jumps again and you load something you didnt want.

Add this to not loading pictures, difficulty in posting links, no smilies or facility to edit and mobile is about dead for me. So the forum is down for me 75% of the time. Tell that to your advertisers.

Archived