What happened to This place

Guggleflub

• Members

Also, This is what we are seeing on our end- Note- ONE ad at the top left which is only a 300X250. Pencil Banner at top that is currently an announcement about getting your music heard and commented on in our weekly newsletter. Will be a sponsorship banner at some point but is literally a pencil at 888X94.

And then the forums are right there.

fetch?id=31190790

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Floyd, I see the pic of Gus. Yet you indicated that you "tried" to upload and can't. (nice looking dog btw).

Additionally, I still see no indication of what you are viewing HC on (PC/Mac? Browser? Screen Size? Resolution?) I need some facts to help you, as on my 15" MacBook on Safari, I am having none of the experience you seem to describe.

D

The pic of Gus is seen via a hotlink, not uploaded, which does not work, the pic was originally posted on another site and I just grabbed that address and used [*img] tags.

I wish the site looked like it does for you on my computer, that would be fine with me.

I'm on a 17" mac book pro, resolution is 1280x 800, Firefox 30.

I'll test again to see if I can upload a pic, if so I'll grab some screen shots.

You should see a pic of a different dog, here V

Nope, I get a message,

"You are not authorized to create this post"

...then it forces me to double post.

• Members

Floyd, I see the pic of Gus. Yet you indicated that you "tried" to upload and can't. (nice looking dog btw).

Additionally, I still see no indication of what you are viewing HC on (PC/Mac? Browser? Screen Size? Resolution?) I need some facts to help you, as on my 15" MacBook on Safari, I am having none of the experience you seem to describe.

D

The pic of Gus is seen via a hotlink, not uploaded, which does not work, the pic was originally posted on another site and I just grabbed that address and used [*img] tags.

I wish the site looked like it does for you on my computer, that would be fine with me.

I'm on a 17" mac book pro, resolution is 1280x 800, Firefox 30.

I'll test again to see if I can upload a pic, if so I'll grab some screen shots.

You should see a pic of a different dog, here V

Nope, I get a message,

"You are not authorized to create this post"

• Members

Okay, let's give this a try.

If I zoom way, way, out with "command -" I see this,

10414885_10152238441945488_5262298040266690752_n.jpg

Alright...

Now, I'll zoom back into where I normally read this forum. When I arrive a the forum this is what the page looks like,

(1/6)

10441925_10152238441980488_5964459274006420597_n.jpg

That is one full screen shot on a 17 inch mac laptop.

In contrast, this is what Jemsite looks like,

10514689_10152238457830488_3651894171456580514_n.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure, I will post (via hotlink, not upload (cause uploading doesn't work (for me and for other people, too))) the rest of what needs to be scrolled past just to get to the forum part of this site,

note the slider position on the right as we go down (2/6),

10434000_10152238442020488_1999653885405781963_n.jpg

• Members

10403605_10152238442230488_4876255167022840445_n.jpg

I'm feeling a little tired all of a sudden, that was a lot work. And that is every page on the forum.

I'm also feeling a little telepathic, like someone on the HC end is going to say, "Well, his settings are wrong." The thing is, I should be able to zoom into or out of a page without it falling apart, the page should be what it is regardless of my resolution.

• Members
Floyd: You are seeing ads that simply DONT exist on HC. I do believe there is a plug in or something on your machine causing this. Truly, your page layout should be exactly as what I showed (minus my added notation).

D

Sorry but I see them too. I'm running Chrome on a PC with no unnecessary plugins and the ads are along the right side. I suspect in Floyd's case they've been squeezed to the top since there's not enough screen width at his normal zoom setting but they are there.

• Members
Floyd: You are seeing ads that simply DONT exist on HC. I do believe there is a plug in or something on your machine causing this. Truly, your page layout should be exactly as what I showed (minus my added notation).

D

And you're using Safari on a Macbook, but also represent the company and the advertisers who constantly work to turn users away from this site. When you guys tried to get more users, you probably lost half of the posters, and I'm being generous when I say "half."

When users constantly tell you there's a problem, how about you actually consider their complaints instead of denying the problem?

• Members
Yeah I see all those ads too. PC/chrome and iPhone/safari. It's not so bad on the PC, but on the phone, it's awful.

Agreed. A LOT of scrolling needs to be done to get down to any desirable content on a mobile device. I use Chrome on both my Droid RAZR HD MAXX and my Asus TF201 Transformer Prime.

• Members
Jeeeez Louise!...Some of you guys would complain if you were hung with a new rope!

Not quite. I can use the site on a PC without scrolling through half a dozen pages of ads. In my case, they're along the right side, apparently not so for folks who use mobile devices. That's all folks seem to be asking for, that and not being told they're hallucinating when they see ads.

• Members

D

Dendy, I suspect you have some pressure on you with all of this. I'm sorry for my burn it down mentality and sneering. I learned a long time ago that the squeaky wheel gets oiled. I need to remember that there are regular guys on the other side of this. That said, I'm happy to see that there are others commenting that they are seeing much of the same if not the exact same thing as I am.

I'm not a ding bat, it is not my computer or my browser, or anything on my end, it is not my fault or any posters fault. And I don't care who's fault it is, I just want to see it get fixed. I've been here since 2004 and I just want to see this place at least have the chance to recover to a tiny percentage of the awesomeness that it once was. But every time we turn around the web site is jacked up. It is schizophrenic coming here. We need to get the software out of the way so that posters can just post.

I'm not an IT guy, but the problem as I see it is that the ads are set so that they cannot be covered by the right side frame. These ads are set so that they can never be moved off the screen. This type of setting forces the ads to take precedent over the area that is the forum. So, these ads are forcing their way onto the screen, if not the rightside, they jump to the top. The vast majority of websites on the internet do not use this approach with their advertising space. I experience ZERO problems on the internet, until I come here.

And btw, there are no plugins/ add-ons in my Firefox, I checked.

The other problem that I know other people are having is that we can't upload photos. That is a problem.

I can hotlink to a photo if I use another site as a host, but there is no uploading photos here.

MURRAY.jpg

• Members

Not quite. I can use the site on a PC without scrolling through half a dozen pages of ads. In my case, they're along the right side, apparently not so for folks who use mobile devices. That's all folks seem to be asking for, that and not being told they're hallucinating when they see ads.

So that we are clear, I'm not on a mobile.

I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing this on a computer, so it is not just mobiles.

• Members

What we have here is a massive failure to heed to conventions of good graphic / information design.

This is what I see, with the browser optimally narrowed to remove (additional) whitespace on the wings.

Outlined in purple is unused space containing NO content.

Outlineded in red is REDUNDANT content.

Outlined in yellow is (anyone disagree?) USELESS content.

I could probably come up with a number expressing the percent of space given to useful information; it's clearly too low.

[sorry about the image size if it doesn't look right. This is my 1st attempt at posting an image.]

fetch?filedataid=101752&type=thumb

Scott

• Members
What we have here is a massive failure to heed to conventions of good graphic / information design.

This is what I see, with the browser optimally narrowed to remove (additional) whitespace on the wings.

Outlined in purple is unused space containing NO content.

Outlineded in red is REDUNDANT content.

Outlined in yellow is (anyone disagree?) USELESS content.

I could probably come up with a number expressing the percent of space given to useful information; it's clearly too low.

[sorry about the image size if it doesn't look right. This is my 1st attempt at posting an image.]

fetch?filedataid=101752&type=thumb

Scott

10468206_10152241131540488_1957031056012004315_n.jpg

Well, thanks for the effort. Honesty, I don't think they care.

Archived