Is rock making a resurgence?

sammyreynolds01

• Members

I was talking to some people today and and also read an interview from a singer (can't remember who) that said rock is making a comeback. To me when I turn on the radio which I do very seldomly, I don't hear rock. I hear the same pop stuff. Am I missing something and do you guys think it's making a comeback?

• Members

Just my opinion but I think you're probably just listening to the wrong stations. That said, when I listen to music radio, I generally tune to Contemporary Christian but I know Rock is out there and always has been. I don't think it ever went away but pop is what a lot of stations focus on. I blame American Idol (which, BTW, I can't stand).

• Members

Atlanta doesn't even have a rock station anymore. I went over to my mother's house today and she was watching the VH1 top twenty countdown, and there were several bands, but nothing that I would call "rock."

I think rock needs something new. The last real rock bands I remember hearing on the radio were Jet and Los Lonely Boys... When I was in Junior High School over a decade ago. It seems a lot of bands are relying too heavily on classic rock influences and not trying to do something new like those classic rock bands did at the time.

Then again, I don't listen to much guitar-oriented music anymore. 1980's Japan, anyone?

• Members

A short while back I asked if anything new was possible with guitar? ie not a new player but a whole sound and fashion zeitgeist thing, like say punk was, that would bring guitar to the fore again.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31156997-is-there-room-for-another-electric-guitar-revolution

There was a wall of silence except for couple of people who answered their own questions rather than the one I asked

Rock is in the same old same old category, there will never be a "revival" because it is as boring and generic as {censored} and most of the heroes are zimmer frame jobs.

So again Is any thing new possible for the new generation? or has guitar rock eaten itself ?

• Members
Atlanta doesn't even have a rock station anymore. I went over to my mother's house today and she was watching the VH1 top twenty countdown, and there were several bands, but nothing that I would call "rock."

I think rock needs something new. The last real rock bands I remember hearing on the radio were Jet and Los Lonely Boys... When I was in Junior High School over a decade ago. It seems a lot of bands are relying too heavily on classic rock influences and not trying to do something new like those classic rock bands did at the time.

Then again, I don't listen to much guitar-oriented music anymore. 1980's Japan, anyone?

I remember when everyone was saying Los Lonely Boys were going to be the revival of blues rock but that didn't happen. They had the big hit and then they went by the wayside. Henry Garza sounded too much like Stevie Ray.

• Members

Rock will never "come back" (in terms of being THE form of popular music) for one simple reason.

It's not economical.

Record companies simply don't make as much money with rock bands as they do with the producer/pop star system.

​And that's really all that is cared about at the boardroom level. They don't give a sh...about "making great music"....(whatever that means anyway)

Why put up with stupid rock star ego's that take ages to make a record because they are finicky about a "tone" or whatever? Rock stars that you can't control what they say and who believe in a bit of independence with their images and promotion etc etc...

I mean....that just doesn't make any sense from a record companies perspective when you already have a bunch of producers on salary that know how to make a pop song. So bring them in a dime a dozen talented singer (and they are talented for sure), who will take orders "yes sir" style with regards to every aspect of their career. Studio musicians are cheaper, and work faster and don't whine and complain....get their takes done quickly and then their gone. Wrap it up and market it and no fuss no muss. Money in the bank.

So no. Rock will never make a "comeback".

But that still doesn't mean there won't be great rock music made, and even rock that will chart well......it's just the exception now...rather than the rule.

• Members

Who, in 2014, still looks to FM radio for new rock music?!? Rock isn't dead by any means. The music business as we once knew it is. As soundcreation mentions, the big labels are just churning out cookie cutter pop, some of which I even like, cuz hey, I like music. But why does a band have to handed to you on a platter for free on FM radio in order for you to like it? You guys obviously have the internet right? How about: Japandroids, Black Mountain, dr dog, Wilco, Minus The Bear, Mute Math, Band of Skulls, Band of Horses, Battles, Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age, Tomahawk, White Denim, the Whigs, Baroness, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Tame Impala, Rival Sons, Alabama Shakes, Drive By Truckers. Guitar bands for days if you're really looking. I wouldn't say that many of the bands above are groundbreaking, but that's not a prerequisite for me to enjoy the music.

• Members

Basing your idea of modern music off of pop radio stations is short sighted. Back when I was young, and we had to walk to school up hill both ways, a person had to work to find their music. The real music was never found on the radio. There was a whole underground of trading tapes and hunting albums at your local record store. There is always cool music out there. You just have to do the work to find it.

All I listen to, for the most part, is rock, and there is great modern stuff out there for certain. My ear is not as close to the pulse as it once was, I'm a few years behind and I'm still always finding new stuff.

• Members
It gets me when some stations label mainstream cheesey pop as " rock" when its a million miles from what I would call rock.

I've gotta agree. Late 90's early 2000's music even in the Pop category was Rock. Whether you liked it or not it was Rock. I rarely listen to terrestrial radio but on occasion I hear the latest pop and it's not anything close to what I would consider Rock.

• Members
Who, in 2014, still looks to FM radio for new rock music?!? Rock isn't dead by any means. The music business as we once knew it is. As soundcreation mentions, the big labels are just churning out cookie cutter pop, some of which I even like, cuz hey, I like music. But why does a band have to handed to you on a platter for free on FM radio in order for you to like it? You guys obviously have the internet right? How about: Japandroids, Black Mountain, dr dog, Wilco, Minus The Bear, Mute Math, Band of Skulls, Band of Horses, Battles, Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age, Tomahawk, White Denim, the Whigs, Baroness, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Tame Impala, Rival Sons, Alabama Shakes, Drive By Truckers. Guitar bands for days if you're really looking. I wouldn't say that many of the bands above are groundbreaking, but that's not a prerequisite for me to enjoy the music.

Some good bands in there.

Archived