Top 10 Douchiest Guitarists of All Time

Marko

• Members

I'm not a shredder but Satriani seems like a down to earth guy to me. OK, he's got that 80's guitar thing still going but some of his stuff is melodic and I can listen to it whereas Malmsteen just seems like a total turd who plays a gazillion notes with zero feeling.

• Members

How did Bitchie Blackmore not make that list? The guy is, arguably, the inspiration for every douche lead guitarist ever. Dio said of him "incredible player, awesome sound, horrible person" and he was right. For many years now the idea of Blackmore's Night touring with Jethro Tull has been floated, but Ian Anderson just shakes his head and sighs and says "it would not be good for us".

And as it was Blackmore's birthday yesterday... Happy AfterBirth-Day, you old curmudgeon.

• Members
How did Bitchie Blackmore not make that list? The guy is' date=' arguably, the inspiration for every douche lead guitarist ever. Dio said of him "incredible player, awesome sound, horrible person" and he was right..[/quote']

Yeah He I remember Joe Lynn Turner saying he preferred to eat with the roadies than the band.

ps found the interview segment, interesting moral to it :).

[video=youtube;G4ii0sgDLR4]

• Members

Satriani and Vai both look like douches, but actually neither really are. CC Deville was always too stoned to be a douche. Malmsteen has that cocky European-esq personality about him..... but I kind of like his brutal honesty in interviews...... at least Malmsteen has the chops (no matter how boring you may find them) to back up his cockiness.....whereas a tool like Nugent does not.

• Members
wow.....what a f...king piece of sh.... that writer is.....

Yeah, he seems kinda like a douche (and hater) himself.

I’ve seen interviews with Vai and Satriani, and they seem like really nice people. I’m no fan of wankfests, but say Satriani with Chickenfoot, he kicks butt.

• Members

Danhedonia and I aren't on the list, so it fails.

Seriously, though, Rick Nielson??? Because he mocked Jimmy Page and all the double neck guitar players? He's a really nice guy and a good player. He's not showy at all.

I nominate Eric Johnson for obsessing over his tone and it still sounding just-okay, IMO.

• Members
Bruce Springsteen should take Satch's place. The guy is an egotistic and arrogant dude who literally gets hard off of a guitar solo that expands to MAYBE 5 notes.

He might be, but I’d call him a singer/songwriter, not in the same category as a (just) guitar player.

• Members

I have to agree with some here and say the author seems to be a hater....at least to some level. Im sure some of those guys are douches, in fact I know Yngwie is. I met Joe, Steve, and Yngwie on the g3 tour and Joe and Steve were absolutely great guys. Malmsy not so much...he was a big douche to all his fans.

• Members

Yeah, writer sounds almost trollish.

Reading some of the comments below, someone mentioned Zakk Wylde, and even though I have no knowledge of his personality, I find his playing, and especially his overly-formulaic show with the skulls and (likely) phony hard-core biker persona a bit much.

• Members

Reading some of the comments below, someone mentioned Zakk Wylde, and even though I have no knowledge of his personality, I find his playing, and especially his overly-formulaic show with the skulls and (likely) phony hard-core biker persona a bit much.

He's a really nice guy, and he's far from egotistical. The "persona" is just as gimmicky as any other heavy metal band. Unlike many people, he actually played guitar for Ozzy Osbourne, the lead singer of Black Sabbath, who pioneered heavy metal.

In reference to the writer, he is a journalist. Journalists are generally stupid.

• Members

You mean Randy Rhodes Lite? Zakk was ok with Ozzy.....solo stuff licks New York City cab driver hemorrhoid cushion.

• Members

You mean Randy Rhodes Lite? Zakk was ok with Ozzy.....solo stuff licks New York City cab driver hemorrhoid cushion.

Zakk is hardly "Randy Rhoads Lite." His style is almost nothing like Rhoads in comparison to the influence he took from John Sykes, Al Di Meola, and Tony Iommi. Zakk loves heavy metal and Black Sabbath, while Randy did not like Black Sabbath and came from a more technically advanced background. Before the eighties, Quiet Riot were hardly a heavy metal band. Zakk is also heavily influenced by southern rock and country music.

In short, calling him "Randy Rhoads Lite" is like calling Randy Rhoads "Tony Iommi Lite." Of course, you probably haven't spent as much time listening to BLS, Pride & Glory, and post No Rest for the Wicked Ozzy as I have considering your "NYC cab driver hemorroid cushion" comment.

• Members

Yeah He I remember Joe Lynn Turner saying he preferred to eat with the roadies than the band.

ps found the interview segment, interesting moral to it :).

[video=youtube;G4ii0sgDLR4]

So then... Jolene thinks he's too good to hang out with snobs??

lol

• Members

Zakk is hardly "Randy Rhoads Lite." His style is almost nothing like Rhoads in comparison to the influence he took from John Sykes, Al Di Meola, and Tony Iommi. Zakk loves heavy metal and Black Sabbath, while Randy did not like Black Sabbath and came from a more technically advanced background. Before the eighties, Quiet Riot were hardly a heavy metal band. Zakk is also heavily influenced by southern rock and country music.

In short, calling him "Randy Rhoads Lite" is like calling Randy Rhoads "Tony Iommi Lite." Of course, you probably haven't spent as much time listening to BLS, Pride & Glory, and post No Rest for the Wicked Ozzy as I have considering your "NYC cab driver hemorroid cushion" comment.

The best playing Wylde has done to date was on the No Rest album. That’s it. I’ve heard stuff from his Black Label Society band and it’s all just boring material that sounds just like it is, written and performed by a lifelong drunk with the same depth and flair as used toilet water running down a gutter. Giving a guitar to Zakk Wylde and allowing him to procreate is like giving a gun to a chimp or Courtney Love. Zakk's playing has as much class and style as a used baby diaper burning in a vacant lot.... being the classless, tactless unwashed piece of {censored} he is, he can be seen at many concerts hacking up big snot blobs, spitting them straight up into the air, then catching them in his own mouth. His red faced, alcoholic over weight ass looks like he is going to blow a gasket at any minute.... his working crew acts scared of him..... Plus he’s too busy drinking more “black label” and operating his backyard hillbilly distillery to be bothered with good music. Zakk has also thrown many drunken’ temper tantrums “on stage” with incoherent rants all throughout the United States and I believe Europe as well. Assaulting engineers by physically throwing his guitars and other objects at them and other Innocent people, from what I’ve heard through some first-hand accounts and other reliable sources through the grapevine..... when Ozzy fires you for being chemically dependent on drugs/alcohol.... that's when you hang it up.

You are right, calling him Randy Rhodes Lite is an insult...to Randy Rhodes. His playing is more like Kurt Cobain Lite.

• Members

I dunno..I'm not a huge fan of Zakk...but .I heard a chicken pickin song Zakk did on a guitarist guide album....it was pretty awesome.

I don't know what happened to him when he went from the metal kid on No Rest to mountain biker bear drunk dude.

• Members
I dunno..I'm not a huge fan of Zakk...but .I heard a chicken pickin song Zakk did on a guitarist guide album....it was pretty awesome.

I don't know what happened to him when he went from the metal kid on No Rest to mountain biker bear drunk dude.

He started off in the 80's a heavy metal guy....who was heavily influenced by Malmsteen and Rhoades..... he was doing the cliche classical licks like everyone else at the time.

When he got picked up by Ozzy, he purposely dropped the classical thing, and started practicing more country licks and tricks to try to distance himself from the Randy comparison.

In the late 80's and early 90's.... before he talked, and just played..... he was fine,

Then.... he got fat, quit showering, adopted the Duck Dynasty biker look....and isn't 1/8th the player he was 25 yrs ago..... and became an off the alcoholic jerk..... Google his little outburst he had at the Jason Becker benefit concert where his drunk ass accused someone in the audience of stealing his distortion pedal....so he got on the mic, and "brew-tally" threatened that he would "kick the mother fucking ass" of whomever stole his pedal if they had the balls to face him........ this whole outburst happened with Becker's whole family sitting right there, including elderly relatives.

Zakk "Brewwwtally" forgot that his drunk ass can no longer play worth shit, and he was going to sound horrible regardless of any pedal.

Archived