Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• Members
Originally posted by bryla

by the way i'm new in here too, heya guys!

I heard of this forum when it was announced on Keyboard Corner that Dave Bryce switched, and then I found out, you guys weren't that bad
;)

I'm from Denmark in Europe, and I am a student of music. I study most kinds of contemporary music, but I concentrate and I enjoy playing jazz, funk, fusion, rock and second line
:D

"second line" ... :eek::confused: What means this??

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

New here!!! Been hanging at the MP forums for a while....

My name is Albert. I am 44 years old!! Married with two kids, one of each kind.

I grew up tinkering with the piano at home. A 90 year old Bechstein. Great sound and action!!! Took lesson for about 3-4 years, and my Italian teacher never bothered to teach me how to read music. What a bummer!! I played everything he played by ear. I think he was fascinated by that for some reason!!

Anyway, grew up listening to and playing Elton John, Deep Purple, then graduated to Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake & Palmer, King Crimson, Kansas, and all those other progressive rock bands.

One morning a guy came to my house. He had heard me play my Fender Rhodes. He came in and asked if I had ever heard of the YellowJackets, and I said "uh, no"!! He gave me their first two or three albums, and I have been hooked on jazz ever since. Mind you, I am not a Jazz player, but I love the chord progressions, voicings, etc.

My first electronic keyboard was some sort of a British made Organ (four octaves) that I proceeded to tinker with and eventually destroyed. My second was another organ brand named "Tiger" if my memory serves me correctly, and third was a double deck organ brand named "intercontinental". Junky stuff for the most part. My first foray into the real world was when I bought a Roland Monophonic synth in 1977. It was a piece of art. I eventually bought a fender rhodes, Ensonic Sampling keyboard, Roland Jx 3p that I am so sorry I sold about 10 years ago. I've had a Korg M1, a bunch of modules that I sold, and today, I have a nice little set up:

Keys:
Yamaha S80
Yamaha Motif ES7
Yamaha EX7
Yamaha An1x

Soft Synths:
Ivory
Mach 5
Kontakt

Modules:
Novation A Station (which I will sell)

Audio:
Mackie 1202 VLZ
Event PS-8 Monitors

Recording:
G-4 500 MP
MOTU 2408 MKII
DP 4.6

I love to play and compose. Finally, I am in a band that plays mostly instrumental originals.

aL

• Members

Hey, I'm a chronic lurker, thought I should intriduce myself.

My name's Lee Carroll, 52 and recently un-retired. I got out of the music business after 26 years (Kentucky to Boston to Nashville). About a year ago a friend talked me into attending an on-going blues jam in Harrisburg PA. They had a Hammond RT3 just sitting there.....I couldn't help myself.

Next thing you know I've bought a Nord Electro, a digital piano and some Mackie speakers (the whole rig doesn't weigh much over 100 lbs.) and I'm playing club dates around town with a local blues band. Hey, I feel like I'm 16 again.................

I was out of the loop for a long time, a lot of changes in synth world. I relied heavily on this and the Keyboard Magazine forums to catch up. Thanks to everyone for the insight.

• Members

I'm Ken Soper, another mpkc poster. I'm 47 and play a full time road gig with a fairly famous Country artist.

On the road I use the Roland RD700sx with the SRX String card, a Roland XP-30 for midi control of the string card, and a Roland VK7 through a Motion Sound R3-147. Very simple rig. I'd like to add a Leslie and Speakeasy pre to the setup as soon as budget permits.

At home I've got a little keyboard-overdub studio built around a Toshiba laptop with Echo's Layla 24 laptop interface--Sonar, Gigastudio, GPO, Stylus RMX, CS-80V, plus my old RD700 for a master controller, a MiniMoog Voyager, and a 1961 Hammond C3. Currently running the C3 through a Motion Sound KBR-3D. (I really need that Leslie.) For fun I've got a Moog Etherwave Theremin and Warp Factory Vocoder. Over in the unused corner is an Alesis QS8, Roland JX8P, Kawai SX-210, Yamaha KX5, and Korg 6000M digital piano.

Looking forward to hanging around.

k.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey, My name is Peter and I am known as Phred on the MP forums... (I tried to pick that same name, but it was already taken - sigh - oh well).

Any way I play keys (don't we all) in a classic rock classic R&B band.

I currently use a Roland VK7 Roland A33 and Kurz ME1. I have a MS pro3t on order...

• Members
Originally posted by ksoper

I'm Ken Soper, another mpkc poster. I'm 47 and play a full time road gig with a fairly famous Country artist.

On the road I use the Roland RD700sx with the SRX String card, a Roland XP-30 for midi control of the string card, and a Roland VK7 through a Motion Sound R3-147. Very simple rig. I'd like to add a Leslie and Speakeasy pre to the setup as soon as budget permits.

At home I've got a little keyboard-overdub studio built around a Toshiba laptop with Echo's Layla 24 laptop interface--Sonar, Gigastudio, GPO, Stylus RMX, CS-80V, plus my old RD700 for a master controller, a MiniMoog Voyager, and a 1961 Hammond C3. Currently running the C3 through a Motion Sound KBR-3D. (I really need that Leslie.) For fun I've got a Moog Etherwave Theremin and Warp Factory Vocoder. Over in the unused corner is an Alesis QS8, Roland JX8P, Kawai SX-210, Yamaha KX5, and Korg 6000M digital piano.

Looking forward to hanging around.

k.

Ken -

Welcome!
Would love to hear about your experiences on the road w/"fairly famous country artist" at some point... :D Also, about how you came to have that gig, etc...

BTW -
Your "intro" post on MP from April 2001 (that came up when I Googled your name) says you were originally from NJ - cool! Though it was "South Jersey" - I'll let that slide... :p I'm up around Morristown area - I guess you could say it's North/Slightly West Jersey.

:cool:

• Members

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here - My real name is Lester and I'm a Synth-a-Hollic.

I'm 36 and a total Chile-head - grow exotic chile plants for my other passion - cooking curries from around the world.

Started playing piano at six years ( Yawn - boring ) and went on to study music at The Guildhall School Of Music in London back in 87-90 studying sax and composition. got my first Tv theme in 90 and haven't looked back since

Work as a 'Media Prostitute' - getting paid to write music that other people ( directors and Producers ) want me to write.

My kit as it stands is as follows:

Analogue Keys:

Oberheim Fourvoice
Rhodes Chroma
Memorymoog
Xpander
Alesis Andromeda
MKS80+MPG80
MKS70+PG800
MS10
Monopoly
PRO1
Prodigy
VCS3mk1 +Mods
Juno60
Matrix 1000 + Access Programmer

Digi stuff:

JD990 x 2
Jd800
Polymorph
Wavstation SR
Virus B
Supernova
TX816
M1
XT

Modulars:

Analogue systems - 100 modules in wallnut cabs - all fully expanded,
Doepfer - Vocoder, Trautonium and mixed filters,
MOTM - 20 modules ( 10 waiting for delivery - 3 years ),
Technosaurus - B cab,
Cyndustries - ten modules
Aries - 13 modules,
Synth dot com - 48 U,
Oakley - 10 modules,
Roland 100m 20 moduels +MC4,
Roland SH3 modular,
Serge - 3 pannels ( waiting for delivery - 3 years )

Samplers:

2 x Roland S760 - maxed
Emu E6400 - Maxed
Akai Z4 - Maxed
SCZI network of hard drives and libraries for the above with Magneto Opticals etc
Carillon dual Zenon with Kontakt and 2.5 Gig ram
Carillon AC1 with Kontakt and 2.5 Gig Ram
East West QLSO Platinum, Brass, Rare 2, Stormdrum, Garriton Strings etc etc

Sequencing:

Mac G5 Dual - Logic Pro 6

OUTBOARD:

MOOG Parametric
MOOG 12 Stage Phasor
MOOG Graphic
ROLAND SPF Flanger
ROLAND Dimention D
BEL - BD80 Delay
Lexicon PCM 90
Alesis Quadraverb
Yamaha SPX 1000
UREI 365 filter set
Focusrite RED 2 EQ
Focusrite ISA
Audio & Design Compressors x 2
Valley People Compressors x 2
Drawmer Gates

My web site has credits and more details:

http://www.Lesterbarnes.com

Look forward to posting here and getting to know you guys

Beer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi all,
Dave ere from Australia. Just wandered onto this forum whilst researching on the net about keyboards.
As with many web forums, I'm finding lots of great info here so I hope u don't mind me picking ur brains abit to help a newbie like myself out.
Cheers!

Equipment own: NIL except for the old Kawai piano that I learnt on.

• Members

hi im from middle georgia,you know that place where little richard and ray charles was born. I like anything and everything dealing with music but my main love is electronic music . Not really dance music but stuff like kraftwerk,postal service,front 242, atari teenage riot, stuff like that .

Gear list:
akai ax 80
emu orbit 9090
emu audity
micro korg
yamaha pss 140
software:
logic 7
reason 2.5
emac g4 700 mhz
m-audio audiophile
m-audio keystation radium 49
boss chorus pedal
aphex aural exciter
technics sl 1200 turntable
more to come as the gear lust gets stronger.....and the credit cards are paid off

41347201_c61fac153a.jpg?v=0

• Members

Seeing as I've lurked here since the 90's, I figure a short intro is in order. I grew up in Western Canada then moved to Berlin a couple of years ago... the Berlin music scene is irresistable :)

I make a living from releasing 12" records and doing live performances of electronic dance music. Influences & musical styles: mainly 70's & early 80's funk/italo-disco/EBM/electro/detroit techno. My two recording projects are Sneak-Thief and Polygamy Boys. My wife, Lindsay-J, performs live with me - she does vocals and also uses a windsynth.

My latest release "Polygamy Boys - Transparenz EP" just came out on The Hacker's label, Goodlife Records. Then my tenth 12" ep will be coming out next month!

My live setup is a blast to use: 2 RS7000's, 2 Nord Micromodular's, a Rozzbox and a tiny 1kg PC running Kontakt 2 and with 6gb of my homemade samples. (I don't bring a monitor, mouse, or kb - just turn it on and control it over midi). It's hard to bring anymore because I usually have to fly to my gigs so my max is about 35kg for both checked+carry-on. Lindsay-J brings Yamaha EW-20 windsynth and we perform our own non-stop booty-shaking material for anywhere b/w 1 and 3 hours.

sneak--thief.jpg

Our next gig is on sept. 24th at a very strange mad-max'ish festival, http://Robodock.org, held in Amsterdam.

At home I also have an FS1r, Fireworks, Notron, AN1x, Juno 106, MG-1, A3000, CZ101, RM1x, SixTrack... still sequence everything using hardware :)

Cheers,
michel

• Members

-Piano duffer here, no synth experience. One grandma did a daily piano show in the golden age of live radio, and the other grandma played church organ & folk accordion (Zounds!) for many decades. Keyboards don't come naturally to me, a Steinway baby grand in the parlor through childhood having failed to elicit any sign of talent.

-Experience with viola/violin, banjo, accordion, guitar, Irish flute and whistle, but can't play way out of a paper bag on piana. If an instrument is developed more irritating than whistle, banjo or accordion-I want one! -Hold the phone: I just saw a cheapie tin-sounding keyboard made by _____ and sold at ______mart for ____$. This qualifies. :D

• Members
Originally posted by BillyWa

Damn, someday when I start drinking again, I am gonna post in this thread, it is much better than Match.com.

and here it is, inspired by another thread, sorry for the duplicity.

I gig Romplerista style with Fantom and Triton, along with the occasional strap-on AX-7 controller. We are pretentiously The Last Band on Earth, mostly 70's, 80's rock as well as two CDs worth of original party rock, mostly southern style. Most of our CDs sell in the beer producing nations of Northern Europe and also in Italy.

The geetar player grew up with SRV in Austin and was greatly influenced by him and also ZZ top. He is also well known locally for his computer artwork, sort of a futuristic anime meets trailer trash style. Lots of samples on the website (link in my sig). We are also selling a lot of band stuff (Hats, tees, pin-up calendar, etc) with proceeds going to Red Cross Katrina relief efforts.

We are currently limited to two gigs a month by Yoko (bass player's common law ball & chain) but I get out a lot and do a few guest spots with the other local bands almost every weekend.

My main musical influences are Bach, Chopin, Strauss and Rossini followed by 60/70/80s 'supergroups' like Styx, Queen, Cars, Supertramp, The Who, Led Zeppelin and most significantly Pink Floyd. I played piano, violin and banjo growing up and stuck with piano only.

Recently I have become a synth collector, fueled by GAS from reading this forum. I am not concerned with the perfect studio or ease of effort for music writing, I just like collecting and I am attracted by bright and bright colors and flashing lights. I have never sold anything I have ever had but I had one effects pedal stolen (1980 mutronics phaser, IIRC) and I gave my first electric instrument (Yamaha CP-20) to GoodWill last year cuz they needed instruments for a local kids group. I have been trying to get up the nerve to sell a few things to members here, but have yet to follow through, so sorry...not that I have that great of a collection to begin with.

My other hobby is photography, which I tend to post goddy samples of mostly in the p120dude thread.

Oh, and most people have a hard time knowing when I am being serious in my posts - when in doubt, assume I have no idea what I am talking about and that I am only being sarcastically un-funny, unless it involves drinking, because that is a deadly serious topic.

Here is a sample of about half of my stuff cuz it is easier than listing it. Don't look if you have seen it before. As you can tell, I am into mediocrity and obviously in the market for something red and tone-wheelish:

VFXModular002.jpg

BillysKeys.jpg

p.s. I have fixed the key on the K5000, just have not re-photographed it yet.

• Members

I've been lurking here quite some time now, not posting much but reading plenty.

My name is Christian, 29years and from Sweden. During daytime (and also sometimes at nights when I have to) I am a PhD student (environmental science). I have approximately 2 years left before I'm supposed to be Dr. Andersson... :eek:

I've been playing piano since I was 8 years or so, but stopped taking lessons when I was 15, mostly due to a boring and un-inspirational teacher.
Got into keyboards/synthesizers quite early, even though I didn't discover "synth" music (industrial/ebm) until a bit later. My first "band" (~12 years old) was together with a friend and we planned to do electronic covers of our favourite heavy metal songs (M

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by u6crash

Hi folks, my name is John and I'm stumbling over from the guitar forum.

I can sort of read music, and I know which keys are which. I'm not good enough to call myself a pianist/keyboardist by any means, but I'd like to change that.

Dude -

I love the name of your website, as listed in your signature -

www.threechordme.com

LOL!!
:D:p

• Members

Hey, I'm Evan, a drummer recently converted to the exciting world of synths. I'm 21, and I'm playing in a band called GO. I live in Toronto, Canada, but I'm in San Diego right now recording an EP. I started playing around with synths a few years ago, and currently own a Korg MS2000, MicroKorg and Yamaha EX-5. We're also using a Prophet 5, an OB-X and a Nord Lead 3 in the studio, which are all great in their own ways. I actually rarely use internet forums, but I'm hoping I can learn a thing or two on this one. You can check out some tunes here. Later.

Archived